Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am currently returning a 86 Pulsar NX E16 to the road after rescuing it from a friends cow pasture.

I have been reading post here for a while and used several tips and tricks and they have worked well.

It is running good after lots of work, a rebuilt carb and 25' of new vacuum hose.
The problem I am running into is this, the catalytic converter seems to be clogged as I do hear the typical "loose metal" in the exhaust sytem sound, the constricted exhaust note and some exhaust leakage around the manifold area as well as what I would think is a higher than normal coolant temperature.
After talking to a muffler shop about replacing the cat, he asked me if it had two converters or one, and if the front cat was attached to the exhaust manifold, after looking at it closer it appears that the manifold dumps into something that looks like it could be a cat and then a pipe goes back about half car length where a normal looking cat is.

Does this have a cat attached to the exhaust manifold?

If so how do you bypass/replace this unit?

Any input is greatly appreciated

Ritch

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
if want to go over the headache and get a nice upgrade, you can go find a b12 E16 manifold that will bolt over a standart 3 bolt downpipe... flows better too.. I got that kind of cat/downpipe on the turbo engine and find it anoyingly restrictive. keep the cat if its good or buy a 2in hi-flow unit and go for the 2 inch exhaust... if the catback looks good, keep it to save some money, youll still feel the improvement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, a performance boost would not be bad but the main thing I am interested in is to not have to buy a new front cat from Nissan for $550 and the junkyard alternative is not appealing as they are usually just as bad as what you already have when it comes to cats.

Just looking for a way to bolt up a straight thru set up fron the manifold to the rear cat.

Thanks!
Ritch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As well they should be, they are most likely trashed anyway and they do need to be recycled properly, the platinum recyclers around here pay fairly well for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts