Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hope this is he right place ta post this, seems I can't navigate where I've aimed (fail to open stream, denial, etc. :( ).
Anyhow heres my current problem. I just purchased an '86 Multi that is in pretty decent shape over-all.
My stupidity thingy>
It was low on oil, I proceeded to over-fill it and made a beauty smoke show down the Island (DOH!), but corrected this immediately upon noticing it (10k).
Now I have multiple warning lights, battery, gas, brake, door, oil, all come on when the RPM's are above about 1200, they go out when idling :confused: . I'm not totally inept with older mechanical things but this has me baffled. All I can guess right now is A) I've screwed up a sensor somewhere/somehow (well I know how I think) B)I've messed up the computer (is there an accessible 'beep code'?, is there a method of chip reset? Have I totally messed things up?). FWIW all the wiring seems to be fine under the hood, no obvious cracks or wear anywhere, new battery too. I'm going to go and try dissconnecting and reconnecting the battery right now, hoping it may re-set a few things, but I really have no idea what I'm doing :(
Any and all advice on this topic or in general (about 2L Multi's) is extemely appreciated in advance!

Thanks for your time in reading this mess.

Cheers,

Serge

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Cure!

Well, here I am answering my own question, DOH!
So, for future reference should this happen to you>

It turned out to be the alternator's voltage regulator, it had packed it in and was trying to pump 18-20 volt charge into battery (yikes!), setting off the warning lights, swapped out the alternator with a rebuilt one (210$ Can), just under an hour to replace, happiness again! :fluffy:
Note to those replacing their own> Make sure the pully is exactly the same distance from bolt hole (IOW in line with the belt) as the old one, some replacements (like the one I got, a Delco) aren't set up the same, this one I got was 1/4" out and required a swap of pully's and a shim to bring it into alignment.

Cheers!~

1 - 2 of 2 Posts