Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this car free from my sister... if I can get it to pass smog I will drive it around, if I can't I will take it romping. I am used to working on SBC and am pretty mechanically inclined, so I shouldn't have a problem working on this. Thing is, it smells at really bad... smells like hydrocarbons to me. Is this engine carbed? Is the carb computer controlled? Does it have a timing belt or chain? How much is a new one? What are the torque specs on the head? I just need some basic info about the engine.

Thanks!

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
ReD-DaWg-OnE said:
I just picked up this car free from my sister... if I can get it to pass smog I will drive it around, if I can't I will take it romping. I am used to working on SBC and am pretty mechanically inclined, so I shouldn't have a problem working on this. Thing is, it smells at really bad... smells like hydrocarbons to me. Is this engine carbed? Is the carb computer controlled? Does it have a timing belt or chain? How much is a new one? What are the torque specs on the head? I just need some basic info about the engine.

Thanks!
you can get a lot of basic info by picking up a haynes manual ($15 retail, $2 on ebay...).

carbed? yes. hitachi 2-bbl
computer controlled? yes.
belt.
new belt? like $30, tops.

if you need to pass emissions, and don't want to rebuild the carb, check out www.oem-surplus.com they have nissan reman carbs with all the electronic controls. give 'em a call, they deal well.

other issues with this engine were EGR and cat (just like any engine, i guess...). the EGR is simple, and covered in the haynes manual, the cat is just a replacement thing.

should be pretty routine to get 'er cleaned up for the sniffer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts