Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of purchasing a 2002 SE-R Spec-V from an off lease Nissan dealer. The car is fully stocked minus ABS. “O well” The car has 30000 miles on it with minor to be expected used car problems. The car is being sold with the remainder of its 3-year factory warranty. 1st the shift boot is warn in the top left area from shifting it looks like. 2nd The center console/arm rest has a cracked hinge. 3rd the spare tire cover is missing. And 4th the biggest problem I see with the car is the transmission is difficult to shift in and out of 6th gear. As well as 3rd gear kind of bumps in and out before she gets warmed up. Many have suggested adding redline transmission fluid (the dealer also recommended it and said if that’s the only transmission problem that’s what he would do.) I believe that the shift linkage is the main problem with 6th gear, but I am not a certified mechanic. The car is currently at a Nissan dealer ship (not the one I am buying the car from) undergoing repair /diagnoses. The 1st –3rd things are being replaced. The transmission is getting the diagnoses/repair/replacement. I believe I have read somewhere, in this form that the 02-model year has a transmission recall, but I am not sure.

Any info / thoughts you guy’s/gals may have would be great.
Oh. By the way the deal I have with the dealer is to have all of the above repaired before any money changes hands.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You know, if you have to ask, you probably already have a little voice in your head telling you that it's not a good ideal. If you've read anything on this list, you would know that 02s are the worst ones.

Why would someone unload a car at 30K miles? 1. They buy a new car every 2-3 years all the time. 2. They are unloading a bad car. I'm going to vote for 2 cause 02s are known to be crap, and most people who want to drive a new car all the time lease a car. You could check to see if the car you are looking at was leased.

I drive my cars in to the ground and when I got the Spec V I was going to keep it for 8-10 years. I'm unloading it this winter and I got a 03.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the car was on a lease i ran the car fax. I am mostly wondering if they repair the transmission will it present the same problems in the future or will the 03 04 trans infulance the proper working order.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
avoid 2002s. that's all I'll say.

·
Registered
871 Posts
All these guys who don't own 02's always say they are crap. I have an early build 02 and I have had only 1 problem.

That being said, the 02 does have a potential tranny problem. If they replace it with a new one (it will be the 03/04 version) then that should be okay. If you can find an 03 for a little more I would say that it might be worth the extra $$. Used cars are a crap shoot, and as everyone has pointed out the 2002 spec was the worst year of a mass produced cheap economey car.

::EDIT::
the advise... make sure the tranny is fixed/replaced if you choose to buy the car

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
6 gear sticking problems are not uncommon, i have heard of it multiple times before. the wear for 30k sounds rather excessive though. if you do buy, be absolutely sure you get a warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the car will have the remander of the factory warrenty left plus the 5year 60k powertrain warranty. i am deffently getting a warranty extension if this deal goes through. The big reason i am pursuing this car is that the dealer didn't know what they had and priced the car a couple thousand below blue book and still they wanted to get every thing fixed.

·