Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here goes... my first post here.

Anyways, I'm looking at buying a 90 300zx TT. Only 33,000 miles (have not yet carfaxed the car to double check). The price is right (approx. 6k due to the car desperately needing a paint job). From what I understand the only mods on it so far are a HKS intercooler and a HKS turbo (not sure if its an upgrade or what). Anyways, here's the thing it's an automatic and I really don't like automatics. From what I've read on the board so far, people generally suggest going with the type of tranny you want to begin with. However, the guy who is selling the car claims that there is a six speed that I can buy for around $1500.

Ok here comes the questionst: Would this be worth it? I have an extra 4k I was already budgeting for this car (with less than 2 going to the paint job).
Also, how much would it cost to have the tranny installed? And finally one more thing...This car has my BS detectors going off. When I test drive the car are there any specific things I should look for?

Thanks!!!

Balzun

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
There is no six speed that you can buy. Someone has swapped a Z33 6spd onto a Z32TT (but the 5spd that came in with TTs is a far better tranny). Just get the car checked out and do a 5 spd swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JAMESZ said:
There is no six speed that you can buy. Someone has swapped a Z33 6spd onto a Z32TT (but the 5spd that came in with TTs is a far better tranny). Just get the car checked out and do a 5 spd swap.
Heh, that's what I figured. How much would I be looking to pay for a total auto to 5 speed swap? I'm mechanically inclined but really don't want to do that particular job myself. Much rather have it done professionally.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Probably around a grand for install plus tranny. Depends on the shop and how long it takes them to complete the swap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts