Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IVE HEARD ABOUT IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN BUT WHAT IS IT?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ive heard of too, Im getting an SE-R and I'm kinda worried about it cuz I hear that it is some problem with the transmission, could someone please explain. How high is mileage when this begins.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
It doesn't happen on the GA16DE maunal trannys as fat as I know, just on Sr20DE trannies. It pops out of 5th gear easily when you're driving. Nissan blames it on a bent shift fork, caused by people resting their hand on the shifter while driving in fifth gear. I don't know of any specific mileage when it starts. I can't remember what it costs to have fixed either, but it's not cheap at all.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
For SE-R and G20 information, start at SE-R.NET, then come here and SR20DEFORUMS.

SE-R.NET 5th-gear pop-out article

Applies only to 1991-1993 five speed transmissions attached to SR20DE. Nissan claimed bent shift forks from drivers resting their arm on shifter. That's a bunch of shiite. For 1994, Nissan redesigned certain fifth-gear parts in recognition of the problem but wouldn't perform a recall or acknowlege any design fault. By now, most early 5-speeds have been rebuilt or replaced due to this "feature".

·
Registered
674 Posts
I got a 91 se-r that came into the shop yesterday with 5th gear popout. On this one the shaft bearings were wore and allowed slop in the meshing of the 2 5th gears causing it to pop out of gear. It needed 1 of the 5th gears and all 6 bearings for wear, an axle seal, shift shaft seal, and leaking backup seal. The estimate was like $1800. The customer ended up getting a new trans. I'll be putting it in tomorrow. Oh, guess what? I now have me a spare trans. whhoooo hhooooo!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had 5th gear pop out on my 93 E (B13) and it sucks. At first it would pop out from time to time them it got realy bad where it would not stay in 5th. So i drove around for a while holding it in 5th when i was on the free way. Then i got tired of it so i took it to AAMCO and it costed me about 1989.00 It was still cheaper than a new trany from Nissan. I highly recomend that if you have this problum then get it fixed right away and dont wate it wont go away.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It can happen to 94's too. It did on mine at about 135k. I just put in a new tranny from nissan But i damn shure didn't pay 1800 for it;) . It pay's to know the right people.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

thatwas the first iveheard of that. but i shouldent haveany problems with my ga16 right.

·
B13 Owner since 90
134 Posts
A new tranny from Nissan w/ the upgraded internals cost me around $1800 from Nissan back in 1997.
I do not use 5th gear until i hit 55mph in normal driving which is rare on city streets, basically 5th is just for the freeway.

:D

Tevs

·
Nissan Wizard
193 Posts
Re: thanks

92sentrase said:
thatwas the first iveheard of that. but i shouldent haveany problems with my ga16 right.

I've had 5th gear popout on my 92 se...It was a $800.00 fix for me..I posted it on b15sentra forums last year..You'd be surprised how many non se-r's have or had 5th gear popout.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Just don't use those part numbers though. Those are for the SR20 tranny. I'm sure they can get the same parts for the GA16 tranny though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts