Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know that its a common thing for fifth gear to go and i have 155,556 on the i beleive origional tranny, i read that crazed mart had his share of tranny swaps so i was curious as to how much they go for usually. the probebly just started happening also, i changed my axels and gave my car a tune up so boy does it have a lot of pep now, turns out the car wasnt gettin any air due to a extrememy bad air filter which no one EVER changed when they got the car thinkin "oooO the air filter should be fine i wont bother lookin at it" i must have like 20 more hp CAN CLIMB HILLS IN FIFTH!! used to die even if i put it in third.

Anyway my question is, do i have fifth gear pop out now beacause of the slight fluid loss that i got changing the axels and not topping it back off or is it because of the power gain that ive been takin full advantage on and ripping around in.

btw it doesnt pop out unless i bump into it switching the radio or if i give it a lil tug when takin my hand off from resting on the shifter, which leads me to beleive its just synchros

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try doing a search on 5th gear popout - there should be quite a lot of info out htere on it. I had to replace my tranny due to the dreaded popout, but mine was so far gone you could not even hold it in - any time you would accelerate it would pull out. You should check and replace your motor mounts as they are a cause of this trouble (the dogbone looking one especially the rear). I baught mine for $150.00 from an importer out of Oakland, CA - anything I found localy had the same problems.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
My 87 E16i has 5th gear pop out bad also my mounts are bad so that may have contributed. I got lucky and found a recently rebuilt one in my local junkyard for 50.00. I think it is good since the headgasket blew in the car I think that is what sent it to the junkyard. But anyways nissan is not the only manufacturer with 5th gear problems and I know a little more about the cause of the others toyota truck trannys the 5 speeds (SR5) tends to loose fifth if you load it in fifth instead of downshifting. Also hard shifting and not using the cluth to take it out of fifth is not good either. When mine started it was just on ocassion and it was about 150,000+ miles I would take my hand off the shifter and it would pop out ( never shove it back in I think that is why mine went so fast cause I instictly shoved it back in :dumbass: ) and it progressivly got worse to now you have to put all your weight on it to get it to stay in fifth. I would change the fluid to some good fluid and check out the mounts and linkage adjustment. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply but i got oonnne more question. i know tha the ga16i and ga16de are the same block basically so.. if i can find that tranny for cheap what do u think i would need besides the matching axels

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
if i remember correctly, the ga16i tranny fits the ga16de but not the inverse. Maybe blownb310 know the answer... anyway, if it fits, get one from a 91-94 sentra... the later model had an electronic speedo pickup sensor instead of a cable like our older model...IMO you wasted the sincro by not filling the gear oil properly ... those gears are really sensitive to lubrification ... like mille-16i, the load on 5th gear should be avoided as much as possible :

Ie : when i installed my engine ... i didnt fill the tranny (so it is now empty after 15k km...) it took me like 2 weeks of boosting in 5th (6lbs, wich is very addicting) to completly get rid of it... this was a good tranny ... wich didnt poped at all before...so even with a stock engine, i can take longer but not much of abuse ... if you want to floor it : just downshift ... that 4th gear just wont let go ... trust me ;).. ive been drag racing that tranny for 2 summer without any oil in it ... and it is still running very good ...

i get E16 tranny for 150-250$ can around here ... might be higher for the Ga16i one taught...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Crazy-Mart said:
that 4th gear just wont let go ... trust me ;)..
ditto...my tranny lost all but 2nd and 4th.....that was fun driving around town.

I would say the loss of lubrication and just the poor nissan design coupled with your tune up just BAM! hit that 5th synchro and it couldn't take it no more.

Now I'm curious why a GA16i tran would go to DE....but not DE to i ??? I know the clutches aren't.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heh loosing gears suck, i lost third in my 88 but that just sucked gettin on the highway having fifth go bye bye would be a bummer so since i noticed the pop out i really try not to use it and when i do put it in out of instinct i push the clutch in and take it right back out, im gonna continue to do this until i can give my tranny a check up, like i said it only pops out with a slight tab , it will not kick out if i get on it while its in gear sooooo even after i fix'er up i wont use it that much to hopefulyl prolong the life until the summer when the b13 det comes out to wreck everyone

·
Registered
41 Posts
You probably know this already im sure, but would the bolt patterns match? When I switched my tranny in my 89, only a 89 or 90 would bolt up correctly cause of this. If anything, im curious if you can bolt up a different year other than the 89 or 90 without much problem.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
idk i asked that too and i got a answer that the 91-94 ga16des MIGHT fit but its unsure , butttt tonight it snowed and i was screwin around with my new sense of power from my tune up and bam turb a curb, so far ive done the front right , back right and now the back left. One more to go and ive fcked up every wheel in the cars life, so needless to say i will be checkin tranny fluid before its out on the road again cus its deff gettin in that garage now im not workin in the snow again

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok fixed the parrallel links and jsut got doen with all the toe adjustment and left my car running to warm it up while i read the chultons manual on how to fill the manual transmision on my 89 5 speed and its so unclear with the arrows in the book can someone describe to me what and where im lookin for, i gotta check and fill the fluid to see if it would help my fifth pop out problem

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
What you are looking for is a square drive plug on my 87 it is a 3/8's drive and my drain is a 1/2 drive. it should be on the front mid of the tranny take it out and fill it till it runs out of the hole it will be best to have the car level when you do this or tilted away from the hole that way you will just over fill it and the overage will spill out to waste. I would say to jsut drain and refill it should only cost you 15-20 dollars for the fluid maybe less.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alrighty i will give it a shot tommory, i already have fluid got 85-90 gl5 the manual says gl4 but i cant find any soo a bit of this cant hurt, any fluid is better than none right?

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
Might look up the difference and ensure that they will mix properly I know some ATF's will not mix and will cause the tranny to fail. If it is just better quality then yeah go for it.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
I can't remember for sure all the types that will not mix but the type F for Ford trannys will not mix with regular ATF and the stuff Dodge use's in there newer trannys as well will not mix I believe 3&4 will mix.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so my dad insisted that the gl5 rateing must be equal or better than gl4 evan though it doesnt say it sooo i finally gave in and just thought fck it, its already popping out so i put it in and suprise no more fifth gear pop out. idk if it will last forever but it deff doesnt pop out if i bump into it for any reason, and htough its fixed im still not gonna use fifth unless im goin on trips just to be sure

1 - 16 of 16 Posts