Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my 95" Pathfinder SE (Automatic) about 6 months ago. The first time I put it into 4WD I had trouble getting it to disengage. The lever shifts fine and I made sure to reverse at least the length of the truck, but after driving about a half mile I heard this horrible grinding noise, but when I slowed down to about 5MPH it disengaged. But a few miles down the road it did it again. This went on for a few more times before it finally stopped doing it. But from then on I heard this whine from the driveline. I have only put a 1000 miles on it since and the whine is getting louder. The hubs disengage fine (I can spin the front shafts by hand when parked) so I think the problem may be in the front transfer case. I changed the fluid last week with Dextron IV ATF. The orig. fluid looked clean and was full, no metal chips on the magnet but I though it was worth a shot. Then I used the 4WD last night (freak early snow here in southern PA) and today I am getting the horrible grinding again but this time I could not get it to stop. Any thoughts, I am desperate and low on cash to pay a shop just to scratch their heads?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
is the noise near your seat or by the pedals? seat would be the T/case and pedals would be the frt. diff. are you positive the hubs are disengaging? you could try putting the pathy on jack stands and idle it in drive to help isolate were the noise is coming from. I would not climb underneath the vehicle though while doing this. dont want to get run over by your own vehicle. but then you would make the Darwin Awards.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call Dave, looks like it is the hubs. They were free when I stopped this morning but when I took it out again just now (after it grabbed a few more times) and stopped again they are locked in. I guess they are engageing by themselves. Time for a hub rebuild >:-( Probably should have done it when I bought it. Old trucks...what are you gonna do???
My service manual specifies that the hubs should be packed with "genuine Nissan grease KRC19-00025)". Does anyone know if that is just a fancy spec for off the shelf wheel bearing grease?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts