Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my new (to me) Pathfinder out for its first four wheeling experience, and was not impressed by the performance. Put it up on blocks and discovered that the front wheels don't turn in 4wd. They spin freely in 2 or 4, so I assume a problem with the auto-locking hubs. But looking underneath, I can see that in 4, the left front CV joint is spinning, but the right CV joint is not. Problem with the front diff? Has anyone else experienced this? Any chance the two problems are related?

I'm new at this...

-brazzaville

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
you have what is called an open differential, just like all of us, its called a one-wheel wonder. the back does the same thing unless it has a limited-slip diff in it from the factory.

your autolocking hubs are probably dirty and need to be cleaned or just rebuilt. springs will wear out after a while and need to be replaced. if you have an mechanical experience this is a easy job. you could also swap them out with manual hubs ( where you have to turn the centers to lock the hubs in)

chances are maintenance on the hubs was never done. to pull the autolocking hub off is just 6 screws, you do not need to remove the tire. if you have a repair manual it should have a blow up view of the hub so you can see what parts are what and now how it goes back together.

check your PMs.

oh yeah, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took the hubs off today. They are definitely the problem. Differential seems fine. I am going to order manual hubs. Warn seems to be the brand of choice. What's your favorite on-line merchant of Warn hubs? I can buy them here in Brazzaville, but they cost $1300. Also noticed the cap for the brake fluid reservoir is missing. Could explain why the brakes were feeling a bit spongy...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have factory manual hubs on mine, if you have any junkyards close you can check there. probably pick them up for cheap, maybe $20. did you mean $130 and not 1300? they should be made of gold for that price. you could also try e-bay, or some on-line vendors.

did you check your PMs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, $1300 is the correct figure. Things are a bit more expensive in Sub-Saharan Africa. There are plenty of junkyards, though prices tend to rise as soon as soon as a white guy shows up. I will take a look at ebay.

What are PM's?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Brake fluid sucks up water from the air - you should prob change it if it was missing for a while.

Congo is a scary place but I guess you get used to it, Relative of wife is a missionary there from Poland.

PM is private message - check your account on here

1 - 6 of 6 Posts