Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this something that I can do at home? Im thinking aboiut usin' LEXAN for the rear qtr window, which can be purchased cheaply at any home fix-it store. THEN fill in the body indentions and the indentions created by the door.

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
just buy a 2 door then, its too much work and you'd have to fill in the gap from the old rear doors with custom sheetmetal and it has to be safe and roadworthy. Plus if your not a complete expert in the area of body modification then dont do it. You'll jsut end up ruining your car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
91sentra said:
just buy a 2 door then, its too much work and you'd have to fill in the gap from the old rear doors with custom sheetmetal and it has to be safe and roadworthy. Plus if your not a complete expert in the area of body modification then dont do it. You'll jsut end up ruining your car.
I think its worth a try. I'm willin' to try anything w/ this car.

BTW I'm not removing the doors, instead, the small indentions that outline the door will be filled in, the rear side window and smaller window piece will be replaced by lexan.

·
Registered
851 Posts
youll need coupe doors and youll need to chop a hefty part of the rear doors out, and then you need to move the B (umm....i think theyre B) pillars back, unless you dont want anyone sitting in the back seat. i think youre better off just buying a coupe.

but on the other hand, ive seen a 2 door jetta, it was done VERY nicely, looked very OEM, minus the lexan rear windows...

·
Erin Go Bragh!
168 Posts
B13TTSE said:
oh yeah. sounds like a fun project
Sounds like a unique idea. I thought about doing the same to my B14.
Here's what I thought up:
gut the rear doors
shave the handles
replace rear glass (2 per side) w/ lexan*
fill and weld door seams shut fm outside
- do same to inside
paint exterior
fabricate new interior for custom sound enclosure*
*-(if doing sound setup)

I also thought up a hatch-back/ wagon scheme. It involves adding some sheet-metal and changing the rear window, but leaves the car a 4-door when going for the wagon scheme (2door for the hatch).

I get these crazy ideas at, like, 3am - but I have no money, so it doesnt matter!

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
you'd have to get seats that would lean forward so someone could get in the back seat as well.

·
Erin Go Bragh!
168 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
That's just a guestimate. I know somewhat what places charge for bodywork, so that's a ballpark on the labor. plus you need to buy the doors from a junk yard.
Why would you need to buy the doors? I assumed that the idea was just to weld the back doors shut. That way, there is no danger from t-bones, etc.
The look is supposed to be that of a longer 2-door, I think.

·
Erin Go Bragh!
168 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
welding the rear doors is also stupid since there's crap inside the doors. What happens if a part in the rear door breaks? Or the door gets a ding and it needs to be pounded out, sounds like a waste. A 2 door would be better. The doors are longer for a reason.
What about gutting the rear doors? That would be ideal for a custom back-seat enclosure. (you'd have to replace the glass, too.)
Im sayin all this because im assuming that the 4-door has a longer body. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
What happens if a part in the rear door breaks? Or the door gets a ding and it needs to be pounded out, sounds like a waste
they you would take the interior panel off and fix what ever broke, and you would pound out the ding fromthe inside, r better yet just use a unispotter and pull it out. problem solved :D

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
RBI*04 said:
they you would take the interior panel off and fix what ever broke, and you would pound out the ding fromthe inside, r better yet just use a unispotter and pull it out. problem solved :D
except for the fact that the door has to be open for you to take the interior panel off.

All I'm saying is you're jus messing things up. YOu're making the rear seat useless and killing the value of your car at the same time. I happen to like 4 doors. If you have a back seat, at least you can use it. 2 doors are worse, but they make a longer door and folding front seats to make access bearable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts