Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 95 4x4 with 4cyl manual.

Do these trucks turn over slow normally. I know thats an impossible thing to answer over the net so i'll give my senerio to maybe help out to see if my truck is normal.

When it gets cold here like it is now my truck barley starts in the mornings. Its never failed to start but everyday its below 10 degrees or so it turns over so slow i'm always amazed it starts. Tonight is going to be -10 and i seriously wonder if its going to start in the morning.

I've got a new 800 CCA battery in it that made no difference at all over the old battery that i could tell. I'm thinking maybe the starter is weak as i think it is the original one.(180,000 miles).

Just trying to get an idea if this is normal for these trucks in these cold temps or if my starter is old and weak.
This morning was 0 degrees and i'd swear this thing could not turn over any slower and still start. but turns over fine once warm or in warmer temps.
Oil is 5W-30 in the pan.

I was told these trucks turn over slow and a mech said it was "fine" a while back but it was warmer then.
I just don't want to spend the money for starter and instal just to find out this is normal.
The place i work for is going out of business Feb 1st.. so trying to save money if i can.

As a side question and since its cold as a MF outside: are the oil pans one this engine steel or alum? Thinking of adding oil pan heater to help things out for now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i see slow starts at nissan alot. most are new batteries. some have actually been fuel pumps. get it checked out. oh and where im at the coldest it gets is during winter on a rainy night about 40 degrees

·
Registered
153 Posts
I still like using 10W40 oil,and when it gets below 10,I used a dipstick heater on a Z22 when I had it.It did the trick.On my 86 Z24,I ran across a gear reduction starter in a junkyard last summer. It cranked right over this morning,at O windchill.I was suprised to see my motor mounts were cut out fot it.

5W30 would let your engine crank better in the cold.Maybe someone here can give you the good and bad of using this in your truck.I run it in my Explorer,but it calls for it year round.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well i just got a $15 dip stock heater to get me by till i can find a new job. I didn't know those existed. Thanks for the info.

I just run 5W-30 in the winter months to help cold start engine wear then i go back to 10W-40 for the rest of the months.

Sounds like its probably a weak starter then, thanks for the help!!
I'll get it replaced ASAP.

Any advice on starters? Parts Store rebuilds or new ok? Only certain ones? internet ones? Factory only?
I live in a very rural area and the only parts stores within 90 miles to me are: Car Quest, Napa, and Orilies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same scenario I was experiencing here in the Northeast. Bought a new battery, turned out it was the starter. Now she turns over nice and sounds great starting. Cost $260 including labor, too cold to do it myself (only $65 for labor total, 1 hour job).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i'm going to go with a Car Quest rebuilt starter since they are also a reputable repair shop in my area. Unless anyone thinks that is a really bad idea. With my discount there its $114 for the starter. Or a new one for $167.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can get a new one from Rockauto.com for $1134 plus shipping. They also have a reman starter for $52.49 + $18 core + shipping. I've had great luck ordering from them in the past for my various vehicles. I've also had great luck getting local stores to pricematch when I didn't want to wait for the part to get here.

Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto

Dipstick warmer is an excellent choice too. I'll have to move up to 10w40 for my truck in the warmer months, I've been using 10w30 more out of old habit than anything.

Hope this helps man!

·
Registered
117 Posts
my 94 has a few mods and NO choke and in the teens it fires right up

·
Registered
35 Posts
In my previous post the price for the new starter should have read $113.... whoops! Anyway today I paid attention to my starter and sure enough, it's definitely sluggish compared to my neighbors Nissan with the same engine. I hope my starter last a little while longer as I'm out of work right now and need the truck to get me to my temp job on time :(

·
Fearsome Fabricator
213 Posts
Why guess when you can know? Why throw parts at it in hopes? Any reputable shop can test the current-draw on your starter in minutes. Many will do this for free. The starter should draw less than 180 amps or so (rule of thumb, not Nissan-speak).

Check the obvious things first, like the electrical connections at the starter and battery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Won't they get pissed when I ask them to pricematch Rock Auto though? Many shops markup parts to cover the cost of free diagnostics. Thanks for the tips, I will check the wires and terminals. It's been awhile and you never know until you check! I'll whip out the multimeter at get to checking those voltages and amps where I can do so safely.

Truck has 150K and is a 1999 model, 4cyl, manual trans. I've owned the truck 2 years. First thing I did was replace the alternator, because it was shot. The battery is only a few months older than the alternator.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would say your starter is getting old and there is probably high resistance in its fields... You should also be using a good 0W-30 in weather that cold. Also, I would go with a new factory starter since that lasted how long again???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would say your starter is getting old and there is probably high resistance in its fields... You should also be using a good 0W-30 in weather that cold. Also, I would go with a new factory starter since that lasted how long again???

I've never seen any oil around here that says 0W-30. Just 5W-30 and a straight 30wt. Or does straight 30 weight mean its 0W-30?

I may price a factory starter but i'm sure its crazy high priced. The engine may last another 180,000 but the truck won't. The frame will be junk by then. I've got places now i need to patch in the frame. These thin little frames are not very good for cold weather areas. Plus i just won't keep the truck that long either.
I found the previous owner covered up alot of frame rot with undercoating spray. rrrrr.... :mad:

Someone let me know on the oil question above if you know, i need to change oil again anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts