Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just purchased a 350Z Track edition. I have ordered the suspension, brakes, wheels, & tires. I would like to now concentrate on the motor. Is the GReddy turbo kit, in your opinion worth it? I have considered the Turbonetics single kit, but it isn't tested yet. I have been toying with the notion of the Vortech S/C kit. Haven't decided yet. Please let me know what you guys think..

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
You may want to look at doing up your block first. The z unfortunatly has a weak bottom end and a not so friendly compression ratio as far as boost is concerned, and I've seen a few different problems from people boosting it (bents rods and running too lean). I heard the vortech was one of the better kits out there as far as s/c kits are concerned. Before boosting it and blowing the engine, you may want to look at sleeving the block, and looking at forged internals to name just a few things.
 

·
ZPOOLNZ
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
wes said:
Honestly I feel the JWT TT kit will be the BEST product on the market. It will also be CARB legal once testing is finished.

http://jimwolftechnology.com/news.asp
Do you have to move the air bag sensors for the JWT kit? From the look of it the IC doesn't require the bumper to be modified like the Greddy kit. I know that there have been a few problems/atleast one death where the air bags didn't deploy because the sensors had been moved to make way for the IC that comes with the Greddy kit.
 

·
Wise Cracker
Joined
·
5,730 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Do you have to move the air bag sensors for the JWT kit? From the look of it the IC doesn't require the bumper to be modified like the Greddy kit. I know that there have been a few problems/atleast one death where the air bags didn't deploy because the sensors had been moved to make way for the IC that comes with the Greddy kit.
I do not have first hand knowledge of this. However I would be surprised if JWT made a kit that required that.

I would e-mail them for first hand clarification.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
If you want relieable power without haveing to replace internals, go with vortect or stillen sc. If you go with turbo kit you Will, sooner or later, have to replace internals. I am going with the Stillen stage 3 sc. for the most HP though I think TT is the best way to go, but it's all in what you want to do and what you want out of your car.
 

·
ZPOOLNZ
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
cjones said:
If you want relieable power without haveing to replace internals, go with vortect or stillen sc. If you go with turbo kit you Will, sooner or later, have to replace internals. I am going with the Stillen stage 3 sc. for the most HP though I think TT is the best way to go, but it's all in what you want to do and what you want out of your car.
It is all about tuning. You can get a turbo car to go just as long. Currently one guy has 70k miles on his 350Z and I think it is a Greddy kit and has had no problems. It all comes to the tune.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
JAMESZ said:
It is all about tuning. You can get a turbo car to go just as long. Currently one guy has 70k miles on his 350Z and I think it is a Greddy kit and has had no problems. It all comes to the tune.
considering I am no mechanic or anything and I know nothing about tunning, but why is Stillen the only one offering a 3 yr. 36000 mile warranty? This is the biggest reason I decided to go with them, and the fact I have never heard of an engine blowing up because of there sc. But yeah your right, it has everything to do with tunning.
 

·
ZPOOLNZ
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
cjones said:
considering I am no mechanic or anything and I know nothing about tunning, but why is Stillen the only one offering a 3 yr. 36000 mile warranty? This is the biggest reason I decided to go with them, and the fact I have never heard of an engine blowing up because of there sc. But yeah your right, it has everything to do with tunning.
They have had problems. One reason is they run low boost on the stage 1 and they are trying to sell the things (they aren't selling very well because people haven't gotten the power advertised). Stillen doesn't warranty everything; only so much. Plus you have to deal with customer service if anything goes wrong and that is a pain in the ass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Yeah I have heard tha the customer service is hard to deal with. Dean at Stillen sent me a copy of the warrenty, but I am not sure what it says. I can't understand it. Do you know what types of problems? The only thing I have heard about is the pulleys not alining and causing premature belt wear. They are supposed tohave that issue fixed though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Do you have to move the air bag sensors for the JWT kit? From the look of it the IC doesn't require the bumper to be modified like the Greddy kit. I know that there have been a few problems/atleast one death where the air bags didn't deploy because the sensors had been moved to make way for the IC that comes with the Greddy kit.
That is not true the gentleman that died was in a G35 with the Greddy kit and lost control on a wet road and hit a pole sideways right by the driver's door so it had nothing to do with the front airbag sensor, it is a tale that has gotten out of hand.

I have had the Greddy TT kit for 8 months and 8K miles running about 8.5 pounds now, I dynoed at 7.5 with 382 at the wheels and have not had any problems. That being said I have added a J&S Safeguard to retard timing plus a bigger fuel pump to keep up with the fuel needed for the higher boost.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top