Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, just bought a 1990 300ZX NA Z32 2+2 5 speed from a small dealer in Garland. This is my first Z. I had a S13 240SX previously. It feels like at times that the power steering isn't working and it takes two hands to turn. It's sorta erratic though - sometimes it's really tight (most of the time) and then sometimes it loosens up. He told me they have already replaced the rack and pinion on it. I'm thinking the power steering pump is going out. He said that his mechanics think that it's just the "lock" on the column not disengaging all the way (the thing that locks the wheel in place when the key isn't in it). Any ideas from anyone on what this could be ? He said he would fix anything wrong with the car next week for free, but I'm curious if anyone has input on this ? The car has 102K on it. The other stuff I found was the cruise control doesn't engage and there seems to be an oil leak on the passenger side of the motor - feel free to chime in on this stuff too. I can't say I trust the mechanics he uses a lot since they were supposed to fix the driver's side door lock. The managed to install it, but now the driver's side won't lock and the power window won't go down (it seems like it's not on the track properly). My main concern is the steering and possibly the oil. Oh yeah, one last thing. I see a "well" for fluid to the right (as you are looking at the engine from the front) of the master brake cylinder. Its real small but has a Max and Min mark...what is this for ? I found the power steering, oil, coolant and brake ones, but this one eludes me.

·
MODR H8R
658 Posts
With the power steering, it sounds like maybe there's air i the lines.
How bad is the oil leak and where on the motor is it coming from? Is it coming from the valve cover?

·
MODR H8R
658 Posts
When me and BlueBOB changed his PS pump, to get the air out while filling we took the cap off the reservoir, with the car off and turned the steering wheel fully left and right. I'm not too familiear with the Z32's but it may be similar. Also there should be a banjo bolt on the firewall or strut tower that has a valve on it. It would be similar to bleeding the brakes.
On the oil leak, if its coming from the valve cover, it could be as simple as a valve cover gasket. That should be cheap and easy to replace. You should be able to get a gasket kit from any auto parts store. I think the company that makes the kit is Felpo. But I wouldnt get the gasket kit without checking and being sure its coming from there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm - I'll try that. Not sure what you mean about the banjo bolt thing. Never bled brakes, so I'm a total noob on all that.

Not 100% sure - I'm going to get the shop to check that out, but I'm not even really sure how to get the valve cover off of this thing. The learning of the new car is just starting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing I meant to ask. I'm hearing a weird sound coming from the rear of the car. My initial thought is it's the muffler (not having a stereo right now really gets you listening to the car). It sounds kinda like when rocks are kicking off your tires when driving through mud but it never goes away. It's just random, but if you didn't know better, you would think you just have a few rocks kicking up and hitting the underbody (not a big thud, just little pebble sounds). When I got out of the car and looked at it I noticed the muffler popped a little right afterwards (like it was cooling down or whatever). Anyway - thoughts on this ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figured out the reservoir thing - it's the clutch fluid. So at least that mystery is solved. Anyway, was reading on TwinTurbo.net and noticed that a lot of people talked about similar steering problems and that it may be due to either air in the lines or the power steering solenoid. They said normally to look for bubbling or foaming PS fluid, which doesn't seem to be the case with mine. I'm leaning towards solenoid. Any idea how much/how difficult that would be to fix/replace ?

·
MODR H8R
658 Posts
That smell could be residual PS fluid burning off. Not sure how bad your leak was but it couldve gotten on the motor while you drive. Or maybe its from doing burnouts. hehehe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow I know this post may be old but I had to swing through and say hello to a fellow really close ZX owner... Im from Greenville, Texas.

Im having the same crazy issue and im thinking to eithier send a straight 12v signal to my solenoid or bypass the hicas crap between two hoses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts