Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 92 300z na slick top with 190K want to rebuild the engine. trying to figure out if going to 3.3 is that much better than a 3.1 and do I need to do any thing special with the ecu.

·
Registered
85 Posts
DRKWINGOO7 said:
I bought a 92 300z na slick top with 190K want to rebuild the engine. trying to figure out if going to 3.3 is that much better than a 3.1 and do I need to do any thing special with the ecu.
How much are you looking to spend? If you are wanting an abundance of power I would abandon the whole rebuilding of the engine and do a turbo swap. Granted those usually cost around 8-10K. If you are just wanting to get a running NA engine in the car then I suggest getting a JDM engine with around 35-40K miles on it. I would trust a used engine over a rebuild that had 190K original miles on it. I havent ever heard of anyone overboring an NA block. Any type of heavy modding on an NA block is not worth the $$ in my opinion.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
DRKWINGOO7 said:

I don't think you'll be able to do a 3.3. Have you seen the insides of a vg30 BLOCK? There is not much room to bore out. The walls look pretty thin when compared to a RB25 block and another reason why you don't seen any Z running a stoker 3.3. I have seen a few 3.1 stoker but when you put all that money into a stroker kit your money to HP ratio and reliablitiy really become a question..

I say more research needs to be done on your part, good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

mpw991 said:
How much are you looking to spend? If you are wanting an abundance of power I would abandon the whole rebuilding of the engine and do a turbo swap. Granted those usually cost around 8-10K. If you are just wanting to get a running NA engine in the car then I suggest getting a JDM engine with around 35-40K miles on it. I would trust a used engine over a rebuild that had 190K original miles on it. I havent ever heard of anyone overboring an NA block. Any type of heavy modding on an NA block is not worth the $$ in my opinion.

I thought about a used JDM motor. I can get a used one for $850 but that seems a little cheap for some thing with 30-50k. A rebuilt @ 30 over and reground cams and crank would cost me $2500 plus install with 1 year unlimited mileage. from remanufacture.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
DRKWINGOO7 said:
I thought about a used JDM motor. I can get a used one for $850 but that seems a little cheap for some thing with 30-50k. A rebuilt @ 30 over and reground cams and crank would cost me $2500 plus install with 1 year unlimited mileage. from remanufacture.com
850 is very cheap... Either its a rip off, or it isnt including something...

Rebuilds are a NO NO. Never use a rebuild. Think about it, a quickly rushed rebuilt engine by human hands....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts