Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
I saw an old Forester ('97) that looked like that on both sides. It was parked near here and the rear bumper was literally on the ground.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can't be a good feeling while driving. Though I guess it is a slow process getting to that point. I am surprised that the 2x4 stays in place lol.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It can't be a good feeling while driving. Though I guess it is a slow process getting to that point. I am surprised that the 2x4 stays in place lol.
I really wonder just how long that 2x4 stays in place. It is just a piece of lumber wedged at the top against irregular shaped , hard shiny plastic and on the bottom, irregular shaped, hard, sorta shiny metal. I can envision driving this vehicle and that wood getting easily dislodged while going over a speed bump or just normal city street driving conditions. Scary to think there are vehicles being driven like this on our roadways and the potential to lose control, cause serious harm or deaths to others.

·
Registered
476 Posts
quadraria10

By the way, how is life with the new/used ( Nused? ) Subaru Forester? Any dislikes or things you wished it had versus the Xtrail? Any issues pop up?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,901 Posts
Saw this today on ''Just rolled into the shop'', and must say its one of the most spectacular cases of rear wheel well rust I have seen. Makes that X trail look like an Escape. Flat out scary.
If that "thing" was caught here in the states on the road by the police, it would be impounded immediately. I wonder where it was from; probably had dried up mud mixed with salt for a long time.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rogoman I think that would be the case just about anywhere. I think this particular one was in Halifax or somewhere in the Maritimes, though I saw a couple of similar cases without the 2x4 on the UK forum where mud and wet grass accumulate in the rear wheel wells.
And Tony you are right, one good bump or pothole and the wood would dislodge.
As for the Subie its been fine but has had some minor issues-- changed the Radiator, and a CV axle, and it burns a bit of oil which is pretty common. In many ways its pretty similar to the X trail, it simply handles a bit better. That said I kept our X trail for 10 years, and it proved to be a great and very useful vehicle. The last year seems to have taken a toll, I am not seeing as many on the road anymore, and more of them at Kenny U Pull sites. I guess that is what happens when they hit 14, 15, and 16 years of age in places with heavy salt usage in winter. Apparently some also get bought up as part cars and shipped to the Caribean and Africa. I still see the odd one in great shape so hopefully, some people will keep looking after theirs. It's a shame we never got the second-gen T31s here. I would have liked to try one of those out.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the one thing the X had that the Subie doesn't is a tilt up feature on the sunroof. The Forester has the same size sunroof but it only slides open and closed.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That ain't good. Strut doesn't look so good either. How are your welding skills? At least you can ride your motorcycle these days. Enjoy the weekend.

·
Registered
476 Posts
And the one thing the X had that the Subie doesn't is a tilt up feature on the sunroof. The Forester has the same size sunroof but it only slides open and closed.
Not trying to be an ass, but i call the sliding power glass tops a ''Moonroof'' and the manual popup glass a Sunroof. Many years in the autoglass trade , i had to use the correct terminology when ordering parts or repairs for customers. Now that i said that, i will offer you some advice . Open your moonroof all the way fully open . Hop up on a step stool outside your vehicle and inspect the moonroof track. Look closely and you will see a small drain hole in each corner. These holes get plugged up over time with dried leaves, mud, dead insects and they end up blocking the drain tubes . ( the drain tubes exit are hidden often by either the plastic fender skirts or mud flaps...sometime you need to remove those so you can also unplug the drain tubes. ) Easy way to unplug the dran holes is to get a container of hot water and slowly pour into the track, let that hot water get to the drain hole and dissolve the crud. But you may also need to grab a 6 foot piece of clothes line cord and push it slowly thru each drain hole ( get a helper to pour a small amount of water , it may help in conjunction). These plugged up drain holes are a major reason people often complain '' my moonroof is leaking!!!''. Even if not leaking, it's a good idea to just inspect and pour some water at each drain hole, then watch if the water is draining out by each tire fender. If i confused you, maybe try Youtubing ''how to unblock moonroof/sunroof drain holes''.

·
Registered
642 Posts
That ain't good. Strut doesn't look so good either. How are your welding skills? At least you can ride your motorcycle these days. Enjoy the weekend.
Don't know if i ll keep it next winter.
A friend of mine is always suggesting me to cut everything out and cover it with fiberglass.
Now my head is somewhere else. A few motorcycle rides helped me to fresh things up. Why closed mind people can't close their mouth.

I could weld or rivet a plate there just to keep the water out and stick a "tar" sheet on the inside.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Otomodo,
I don't think adding fiberglass would be anything more than decorative. Plus its messy stinky stuff. Mind you maybe your holes are not in structurally critical spots, but I think its a matter of time before the rust compromises the wheel well more. On the Subaru the rear wheels like the front have a complete plastic liner which should provide more protection.

:) Glad the rides are helping you shrug off some negativity and deal with closed-minded people. Stay positive.

And Tony-- thanks for the tips. I have an old cheap plumbers snake with a broken tip that I use to snake the sunroof/moonroof corner drain tubes every year or so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts