Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know we discussed this before, probably about 8 or 9 months ago I think. Last time I rang in I was getting like 175 per tank. But that was when I was flooring it up and down every road I could. After my ditch slide, I slowed down alot and realized, I aint in no rush. Ever since then Ive slowed down drastically and instead of stompin it everywhere, I just cruise around around the speed limit. I average about 2k-3k rpm and rarely venture above that above 1st gear. The result was a jump up to about 280 per tank. I could probably push it to 300 if I really tried. Im just wondering if there is anything else I can do to increase the mpg. Any particular products on the market or anything I can do to the engine? Perhaps something maintainence wise that has slipped by me. I vaguely remember something about a fuel filter being someones problem with low mpg. Reason Im asking is that I might have a job coming up that is about 40miles away and I need every mpg I can get.
Only thing Ive done to the car, engine wise is a 2" cat back(minus cat) and a flowmaster muffler, and I removed that resonator from the intake(which I may put back in soon).

Edit: BTW, auto 98 200sx with around 73k miles with A/C and aprox. 80lb system in the back.

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
it is said that if you advance your timing, and still drive the same you get better gas mileage...on the flip side though, you still have to pay more for gas...so yeah...

im and 255ish right now and i have over a 1/4 tank left...

other thing is make sure you do regualr oil changes and stuff like that...that should help too. but the main thing is not to floor it and to use 5th gear whenever its comfortable...

ive started cruising in 5th anytime im over 40mph

·
Registered
941 Posts
This comes up often on the many car forums I visit so I wrote a document and post it a few times each year:

I’ve always gotten better-than average mileage with my cars.

1) Anticipating traffic is probably the biggest thing you can do to save gas, save wear and tear on your vehicle and be kindler to the passengers in your vehicle. If you find yourself tapping the brakes a lot in heavy traffic, you are following too close or driving too fast. Slow down, relax and pay attention! That impenetrable pack of idiots ahead of you aren’t going anywhere fast either. When things start to move again, take your time accelerating. Instead of going from zero to 45mph and then back to zero again a couple of seconds later, try leaving more space in front of you and pacing yourself better. Try to average a 25-30mph in that situation instead by leaving braking and accelerating space ahead of you. When driving a standard, try to maintain a pace that allows you to idle in first or second gear rather than constant starts and stops that waste gas, raise your blood pressure and heat up your brakes. People WILL jump into that space ahead of you once in a while. That’s OK. DON’T let it upset you! Maintaining that cushion of space, you’ve lost maybe 20 feet which is an insignificant amount of distance in 10-20+ mile trips. It’s no big deal.

2) Tire pressures. I run my right at or near maximum and in 20+ years of driving, I’ve never had a problem doing this. Check and fill them when perfectly cold (first thing in the morning before the sun hit them) and adjust them as the seasons change. You just need to know that you will have a little less grip in most situations with the inflation this high. Running on a severely underinflated tire can feel like your parking brake is stuck on. It’s also very dangerous as the vehicle is more prone to blowing a tire. Also, skinnier rims and tires get better mileage than fatter ones because of less rolling resistance. Taller (greater circumference) rim and tire combos will effectively increase your final drive ratio and may boost fuel economy but this will throw off your speedometer by the same amount and might rub on the inside of your wheel wells. Experiment gradually and with caution.

3) Use thinnest-spec (and/or synthetic) oils in your engine and tranny. These reduce drag which will save fuel. If you are concerned about wear, replace them a little more often than you normally would. This change alone can save around 3% or more. Don’t go below the recommended weight for your engine … but don’t go above it either unless you are willing to accept the penalty in lost mileage and power.

4) Replace your ignition components (spark plugs, wires, cap. etc …) using the shortest intervals recommended. Use good quality, high-performance (but not racing) brands. Use Platinum plugs only if your car calls for them. I’ve found a good, copper V- cut plugs (NGKs) to provide the best mileage, better than platinums. Don’t waste your money on Splitfire plugs or other, similar gimmicks.

5) I get MUCH better mileage during heat waves (80-90F+) than I do during temperate weather (70F and cooler). The car runs leaner and develops less power but uses less fuel as well. My Honda Civic DX went from 38-40 mpg in the winter to 45+mpg during the August heat in MIXED driving, even with the air conditioning on. My SpecV can top 31mpg in the summer but will probably average around 28 in the winter. Expect this and factor the seasonal changes into your mileage expectations.

6) Using the A/C puts a load on the engine and reduces miles per gallon. Roll the window down at low speeds or use the vents and electric fan at highway speeds. Just don’t drive with the window rolled down at high speed. This causes so much aerodynamic drag that you are usually better off using the A/C. This brings me to aerodynamics …

7) A clean car (freshly washed and waxed) is more aerodynamic than a dirty car and this might make a difference on extended highway-speed trips. Minimize any roof-racking, etc … and forget about the do-nothing spoilers on the back of most cars. They do nothing but add weight and drag.

8) Be sure to change your air filter regularly. Dirty, restrictive air filters cause your engine to run richer (use more fuel). I used to use a K&N cone-style filter which tend to flow more and require less maintenance. Running a dirty air filter kills your mileage and running around in a rich condition can foul up your entire motor, its crankcase oil, the emissions equipment, etc … With my Nissan, I just make sure I change the filter element every spring once the salt is off the roads.

9) I don’t carry around a lot of junk in my car. This saves weight and less weight saves gas by putting less load on the motor. A lot of engines will richen-up a bit when the load reaches a certain point and this decreases fuel economy. You can go wacky and anal with this idea trying to strip your car down but between insanity and animal house is a clean vehicle without hundreds of pounds of superfluous junk in the backseat and trunk. Another way to reduce weight in your vehicle: stay single, don’t have kids and don’t date fat chicks.

10) Drive a vehicle with a standard transmission (not an automatic). They and their fluids weigh less, don’t lose any power through a fluid coupling, sometimes feature a higher final drive ratio and make you a better driver overall. Better drivers, all things being equal, get better fuel economy.

11) Use a good fuel injector cleaner regularly (2-3 times per year). Clean injectors fire a spray that is well atomized, burns more completely giving you greater power and economy as well as cleaner emissions. If you don’t believe in the bottled stuff (some are better than others), get it done professionally every 3 years or so.

12) Plan routes well minimizing backtracking while running errands. Unnecessary miles use unnecessary fuel.

13) Never use the drive-thru window at banks and fast-food places unless there are only 1 or 2 cars ahead of you. It’s better (and faster) to park and quickly run in.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't know what people are gonna think..

All the mods listed in my sig were more for making my car more efficient than getting more power..

I got 80 more gallons to the tank when i went up to San Jose from Southern Cali..

The first time i went.. i only got 326 to the tank.. and now after all my mods.. lol.. i'm hitting 400.. so um, yea

By the way, good write-up

·
Registered
281 Posts
I also have an auto 98 200sx SE but today I filled up and notice that I drove 355miles on 10 gallons. Only mod I have on my car is a warm air intake(just putting an maf adapter, a cone filter and zip tying the thing down so it doesn't move),a axle back no name 4" tip exhaust(has a low deep sound, not an angry bee sound) 10mm ignition wires from ebay(doubt that did anything), use synthetic oil and premium gas. I also have front and real strut bars but I doubt that would add better gas mileages

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah, after being asked for the "billionth" time about certain topics (fuel economy) I decided to save certain documents as FAQs to save re-typing. ;)

Fuel economy is mostly about reducing waste. And by waste I mean mostly drag. That's mechanical drag (over-sized brakes, tires or sticking brake calipers), hydrodynamic drag (thick oils) and aerodynamic drag (open windows at highway speeds, spoilers, overly-wide tires, poorly designed body kits and hood scoops).

Also if you accelerate right into slowed or stopped traffic and have to get onto the brakes, you have just wasted That's what I was talking about above with 'anticipating traffic' above. Driving style accounts for SO MUCH of a car's fuel economy.

And of course weight, it takes less effort/energy to move less weight. Don't carry around golf clubs when you aren't going to play for days ... and fat chicks are NOT allowed in my car!! :p

Lastly, there's the waste of letting your car sit there and idle for no apparent reason. Talk about waste!! :rolleyes:

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
i dont get bad gas mileage and i drive at highway speeds with my window down...

but see, i dont have ac, so i need to...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know why I said I had a flowmaster....I have a Magnaflow muffler. Nice low sounding muffler, no angry bee here either.
But I was wondering how mods affected mpg. I thought about it last night but didnt get too far cuz I fell asleep

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
it all depends on driving style...

i believe wes still gets 300+to a tank (when he stays out of boost) and we will know whats done to his car

·
Registered
361 Posts
McLaren F1 2003 said:
it all depends on driving style...

i believe wes still gets 300+to a tank (when he stays out of boost) and we will know whats done to his car
:( lol i guess you're right

·
Nis-ho
556 Posts
THATS IT???

i pull up to 400 in a tank (my mileage for the week), i'm really surprised to hear that you only pull 280. i have 102K on my car, but it runs meticulously. plus i drive through city and highway (both with crazy traffic at least a few times a week) :jawdrop:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, i managed to run out about 309.7 on 10.5 gallons. IIRC the 200s have a 13.5gal tank...I think. Ill have to check the manual. I ran until the light came on and stayed on.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Guys, when tracking mileage, it's best to keep fairly meticulous records. What I do now sounds a bit much (anal & complicated) but it is actually pretty simple, assuming you have MS Excel or equivalent spreadsheet program.

1) When filling up, always fill to the top and get a printed receipt. Use your trip meter on your odometer and set it to zero.

2) Record your gallons, at least to the tenth of a gallon.

3) Record your total miles for that tankful (from your trip meter)

4) Divide miles by gallons.

If you use Excel, you can set up a simple, tallying spreadsheet and it takes about 30 seconds to enter each tankful (inputing gallons and miles) and if done correctly, will be self-calculating. I also add date to show how the change of seasons affests mileage.

You can do all this with just pen and paper of course, but Excel makes it much easier and faster. :)

There's no better way to spot trends than with a long series of fairly precise data. You will see minor ups and downs with every tankful but what you need to be able to see are the longer term trends which will show potential problems with your machine ... or changes due to mods, etc ...

Looking at the fuel gauge needle to tell you when to fill up and rounding to the nearest 50 or 100 miles per tankfull is terribly imprecise. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
194 Posts
LethalAudio said:
I know we discussed this before, probably about 8 or 9 months ago I think. Last time I rang in I was getting like 175 per tank. But that was when I was flooring it up and down every road I could. After my ditch slide, I slowed down alot and realized, I aint in no rush. Ever since then Ive slowed down drastically and instead of stompin it everywhere, I just cruise around around the speed limit. I average about 2k-3k rpm and rarely venture above that above 1st gear. The result was a jump up to about 280 per tank. I could probably push it to 300 if I really tried. Im just wondering if there is anything else I can do to increase the mpg. Any particular products on the market or anything I can do to the engine? Perhaps something maintainence wise that has slipped by me. I vaguely remember something about a fuel filter being someones problem with low mpg. Reason Im asking is that I might have a job coming up that is about 40miles away and I need every mpg I can get.
Only thing Ive done to the car, engine wise is a 2" cat back(minus cat) and a flowmaster muffler, and I removed that resonator from the intake(which I may put back in soon).

Edit: BTW, auto 98 200sx with around 73k miles with A/C and aprox. 80lb system in the back.
Im getting roughly 300 out of a tank in my 92 sentra 4 speed but i drive like a little old lady smooth shifts no sudden acceleration filters and oil clean proper tire pressure goes along way as well.The sentra has 105,000 miles on it. :hal:

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
i didnt know we had fuel lights...mine never came on

is the fuel supposed to come on when you first turn on the car?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
i was getting about 250 at 3/4 a tank (i never go below that) and i just changed my O2 senser today, it was one of the easiest things i have ever done. washing the car takes more effort. with my commute i use about 1/4 a tank a day so i will let you know if it improves tomarrow.

BTW my engine has 120k miles and the o2 was origonal. at advance auto it was $41.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I usually write my miles on my reciept since I always pay with my check card. But like, right now, my miles look pretty good. ~75 miles on an 1/8th of a tank.

·
Nis-ho
556 Posts
McLaren F1 2003 said:
i didnt know we had fuel lights...mine never came on

is the fuel supposed to come on when you first turn on the car?
it comes on anytime you are low on fuel. sometimes when you turn on the car, and sometimes when you are driving

1 - 20 of 35 Posts