Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what you get for $25 shipped:

I was disappointed that the adapter is friggin' plastic, despite that they give you a gasket. We'll see how it holds up. I only bought it for the damn adapter in the first place. Oh well, I'll post pics after I put it in.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Damn, that really sux. Why not try to use the adapter from the factory air box, a little cutting and some bending and it'll fit.

·
Registered
413 Posts
toolapcfan said:
Here's what you get for $25 shipped:

I was disappointed that the adapter is friggin' plastic...
And don't forget, the SR20 MAF sensor does not play very well with fluctuating air. For example: Cheap eBay intakes!

Most of the time, they are only good for one thing. Making your engine growl on take off (WOT). Hearing the air flow into the intake instead of having 10lbs of plastic baffles, a plastic fender boxe baffle and an OEM air box to silence it.

The JWT POP and Stillen HiFlo intakes have a smoothly transitional velocity stack type intake adapter. For some reason the Nissan MAF sensor has to have a smooth flow of air to work properly and those cheap mass produced intake adapter do not do that. That is where the more expensive ones will actualli net you 3-5 HP and those cheap ones might not net any actual increases in HP or torque.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't really matter NismoPC, I'm only going to be using it as a POP for a short while. I've got my 3" mandrel bent piping on order and when I get's here I'm welding up the fittings on the TB to MAF tube, painting it and putting it in. That's why I bought it merely for the adapter, hence hoping it was at least some type of metal. I'll likely end up just making my own adapter. I've got some 12 gauge steel I can cut the plate from and see how well it holds it's form with a 3" hole in it. If that looks ok I'll weld a short piece of the 3" piping to it.

SkylineGTR, I did the CAI in my '93 XE that way and I don't like how thin the metal on that adapter is. It's intended to be backed by that thick plastic and once you remove it you've got this thin piece of metal that deforms and bends really easy. So I wanted an adapter for the CAI I make for my SE-R. Granted this plastic adapter isn't a whole lot more rigid than the OEM adapter, but It's still better IMO.

·
Registered
413 Posts
toolapcfan said:
I've got my 3" mandrel bent piping on order and when I get's here I'm welding up the fittings on the TB to MAF tube, painting it and putting it in.
That's great! It will work well for that. If your making a CAI, the plastic adapter should be no problem then. It will work just fine as long as you can weld a plate to the end of the piping to bolt the adapter to. If not, then just make sure that the end of the CAI piping is a 3" diameter and just slide the filter on the end of the pipe and clamp it down. No need for the adapater.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts