Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gonna get another car, but heard that that car had a LOT of problems.

So I'm interested in a 240SX. I was wondering if there would be a LOT of problems with buying a 1991-1994 240SX?

P

·
0 Posts
Like what kind of problems? I've had NO mechanical problems with my 1991 240SX LE at all.

Dave

dugrant153 said:
I was gonna get another car, but heard that that car had a LOT of problems.

So I'm interested in a 240SX. I was wondering if there would be a LOT of problems with buying a 1991-1994 240SX?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a used 240sx with 128k on it. I have the same problems as any other cars with high miles on them.

Heating - my clutch fan is going so I am swapping it out. It will be replaced with electric fans.

Suspension - the shocks and springs were worn. They were replaced as well as the lower arms and the TC rods. Most people do it anyway. Who doesn't want a stiff/slammed car?

Interior - the driver's seat has a tear in it. The steering wheel was worn. The shift knob was worn. They are all being replaced slowly.

Transmission - my clutch throw out bearing was going. I wanted a stronger clutch anyway so they were both installed.

I still have some items to hit. I have pads and rotors to install. I want the car to be built up and ready for the SR.

N

·
0 Posts
the person that it before me totally trashed mine but I have fixed comepletely and it rar that I ll run into something wrong but overall its been good

·
0 Posts
The early 90's 240's are GREAT cars! I recommend them to everyone.

I ran mine over 200,000 miles before it died. Tried to fix it, but realized that the timing chain guides broke from fatigue, and the timing chain wore through the coolant port wall...and the rest is history.

Point is, I sold a car with less miles and got less money for it to buy the 240sx with 100,000 miles. That car was absolutely wonderful!

The only work outside of maintenance I put into it was a new clutch, and a strange reoccuring snapping of the passenger side power window motor cable. Small problems for cars with that many miles!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I love my '91 coupe. Handles great! Even with bone-stock suspension and blown struts.

If you plan to do a swap, stay away from 89-90...later years are easier. 300ztt brakes bolt up and stop on a dime!

Highly recommend an early model 240.

laterz...Jody

·
Registered
70 Posts
1510 said:
I ran mine over 200,000 miles before it died. Tried to fix it, but realized that the timing chain guides broke from fatigue, and the timing chain wore through the coolant port wall...and the rest is history.
This is exactly what happened to mine. The chain ate through my outer timing chain guide and dropped all the pieces into the oil pan. Ironically, my odometer is just a few hundred miles over exactly 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i had the timing chain problem. fixed that. runs great now.
my speedo and tach act up now and then. also the stupid foam wing caused the hatch to rust:mad:
my drivers side seatbely sensor has a short and dings at me sometimes. thats about it.
mine is a 90 with 74,000 miles

·
Registered
236 Posts
I also had a chain guide problem but had it repaired for less than $40. They just removed the top chain guide (which broke) per a Nissan TSB (technical service bulletin)...problem fixed!

300ztt brake swap rocks!!!

laterz...Jody

·
Registered
70 Posts
1fastser said:
I also had a chain guide problem but had it repaired for less than $40. They just removed the top chain guide (which broke) per a Nissan TSB (technical service bulletin)...problem fixed!
Was your car one of the lucky VIN's that was fixed through the recall? For some reason, they didn't feel like doing it for my VIN range. Assholes.

rudeboy said:
also the stupid foam wing caused the hatch to rust
Yup, I forgot about that, mine did the same thing. I took mine off, and i'm going to have the holes shaved off once I get it running. Probably going to put drift or drag wing on it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
BuudWeizErr said:
Was your car one of the lucky VIN's that was fixed through the recall? For some reason, they didn't feel like doing it for my VIN range. Assholes.
No. I actually thought my motor was toast because it started making that, "clak-clak-clak" noise like I'd spun a rod.

But the vin does start with a J, which means it was made in Japan, as opposed to a 1 or 3 which indicates Smyrna, TN or Mexico respectively. Sometin like that:rolleyes:

laterz...Jody

S

·
0 Posts
I also fell victim to the timing chain problem, sold the car for 800bux didnt wanna mess with it....I now regret it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts