Nissan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a problem with the cabin filling with a fuel smell when vent is on outside air? When I have it on recirculat it's fine. Also when I park it in my garage within 10 min my whole garage smells like gas.

This will be the third time it is back at the dealer for this issue. The first 2 times they said they couldn't replicate it or find anything wrong so I took it back one day after driving it and had them get inside so they can smell it. When I dropped it off tonight the service advisor said they have 3 other customers complaining about the same thing. They reached out to Nissan and apparently Nissan told them that they have multiple complaints and are investigating but don't have a fix at this time.

· Registered
1 Posts
We are having the same issue. Tried to get Nissan corporate to buy back the car. So far they are not agreeing to. Ours is going in today for a 4th time. Our service people said they have others coming forward as well. Nissan better figure this out before someones house burns down. We are located in Minnesota.

· Registered
135 Posts
We are having the same issue. Tried to get Nissan corporate to buy back the car. So far they are not agreeing to. Ours is going in today for a 4th time. Our service people said they have others coming forward as well. Nissan better figure this out before someones house burns down. We are located in Minnesota.
Nissan corporate may not want to buy it back yet but once you reach the legal minimum for enacting your states lemon law Nissan will finally say that they are willing to negotiate. At least that is my current experience. Hang in there and keep calling Nissan Consumer Affairs to keep your claim updated.

· Registered
7 Posts
I have 2023 Rogue and also have the gas smell. It is not all of the time, but it stronger on passenger side and only sometimes can smell through vents in cabin. Took the Rogue to Nissan dealership yesterday, and they said Nissan is aware of the issue and that the Rogue is under Engineering Review. Nissan dealership said they checked for gas leaks to make sure there was no safety problem, but that there was nothing else to do until Nissan issues a recall or figures out a fix for wherever the gas is leaking. They also told me it was fumes and it was not a safety risk at this point. Dealership said I had to be able to visually see leak and not just smell gasoline for them to do more. Called national Nissan number because that did not sound right to me, and they told me they are waiting on a recall. They said a supervisor will reach out soon, but I am not sure what else to do at this point.

· Registered
41 Posts
Nissan corporate may not want to buy it back yet but once you reach the legal minimum for enacting your states lemon law Nissan will finally say that they are willing to negotiate. At least that is my current experience. Hang in there and keep calling Nissan Consumer Affairs to keep your claim updated.
I have a 22 with the same engine and I have not heard of any of these gas-smell issues from owners of 22's. I can't help but wonder what kind of tweaks were made for performance and/or efficiency on the 23's that are the cause for these gas-smell issues.

· Registered
3,822 Posts
I have a 22 with the same engine and I have not heard of any of these gas-smell issues from owners of 22's. I can't help but wonder what kind of tweaks were made for performance and/or efficiency on the 23's that are the cause for these gas-smell issues.
I saw lots of '22's and '23's in the TechLine dbase, but no '21's. My feeling is it's a plumbing issue associated with the KR15 engine.

· Registered
3,822 Posts
There were probably 25 cases in the dbase between 22's and '23's. Not that it represents the actual number of cases, but even if the actual number is 1000x the reported number, it's still only 2,500 cases out of about 170K '22's sold (no figures on '23's yet). That's about 1.4% of production. From an engineering standpoint, that's what complicates chasing issues like this. The guys in Japan end up very much reliant on field investigations by DTS's and TSM's and not a test tube in a laboratory. It will probably turn out to be a production tolerance issue of some sort that needs revised QC procedures by the vendor making the part, and now you have a "3-body" problem. It may seem simple, but it isn't.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2022 Rogue sl, periodic strong gas smell in the cabin, dealer looked at it today and said they couldn't find the problem but as others have stated they said nissan knows about it and no fix at this time.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2022 Rogue sl, periodic strong gas smell in the cabin, dealer looked at it today and said they couldn't find the problem but as others have stated they said nissan knows about it and no fix at this time.
File a safety complaint with NHTSA from the link above. The more complaints on this, the more resources that Nissan will be forced to use to resolve the issue.

· Registered
2023 Rogue SV FWD
10 Posts
Reading all the posts above, I think the fuel leak issue is probably somewhere in the engine compartment, near the fuel injectors/rail. Open the engine compartment and smell it please, and if confirmed then let the dealers know!

Just a wild shot in the dark.
Thanks

· Registered
4 Posts
Reading all the posts above, I think the fuel leak issue is probably somewhere in the engine compartment, near the fuel injectors/rail. Open the engine compartment and smell it please, and if confirmed then let the dealers know!

Just a wild shot in the dark.
Thanks
The smell is definately in the engine compartment. I have found that it is strongest near the air intake, and when I open the filter housing, the smell of gasoline is even stronger. But it could also be a fuel rail issue, like an issue with the port fuel injectors.

· Registered
2 Posts
Off the subject but, I had Subaru crosstrek before the Rogue, on the Inlet side of the air filter it had a carbon filter, this was to stop the smell of fuel when engine stopped from coming back up the intake manifold and out the air filter. And yes I also have the smell when it's sat in garage after a run, to me it more smell of burnt oil, to the degree I dropped the under tray and inspected for any leaks. Nothing found.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts