Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and a new Sentra owner. Its my first car i got it on New Years day. Well i filled the tank up right after i got off the lot and today i had to fill it again, i thought it seemed kinda fishy when it only had 173 miles on that tank and it took 9 gallons to fill it so its about 20mpg. I dont know what the problem is cause i know i should be getting at least 30. Yeah i drove it hard to test it out in the first week but still even w/ hard driving it should've got better then 20mpg shouldnt it have? I dont think its a gas leak but i'm not sure cause its been raining every day since i've got the car and the ground has been wet so its hard to tell. I did notice that i could smell gas today while i was driving it, i'm not sure what that means though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note i hate deer... I got this car less then a week ago and i hit a deer on the way home today. Lucky there's not to much damage and now i've got an excuse to buy some aftermarket headlights(seeing as how the LH side is shattered). I've already ordered replacement parts off of Ebay. I've just got to fix a couple of dents on the fender and hood and its good as new and it wont matter for real long anyway since i plan on replacing both of them w/ aftermarket stuff after i get the money(probably like a year).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I get 24-28 mpg on mine. Use another tank of gas in it to see what mileage you get. It may have not be completely full in your last tank. If you have an automatic, 4 door, and drive it very hard; you might get only 20 mpg. I don't think a sentra could get 30 mpg unless it's all highway mileage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no it was full... i know that much. Yeah it is a 4dr auto. I figured at least 30 though... i mean my dad has a 2.4 L Toyota pickup and it gets 26, and we've got a shitty Kia Sportage 2L and it gets 23... I'll run another tank through it without me driving it like a maniac (i had to open it up and test it out to see what it'd do).

·
mmmmmm SQ
749 Posts
My 4 dr gets 30 MPG city and 39 MPG highway, then again i do drive a manual, but the difference should not be 10 MPG. Check your spark plugs, fuel filter, and air filter

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 98 XE is a 4 door auto and at best in the city I get about 25 mpg with normal driving. I have had the car for 2 years and have kept it well maintained. I assumed that 25 city and 28 highway is normal for this model Sentra.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
best we can manage with out ga16 is 26mpg in summer. getting 23 in the winter. we are pretty lead footed though :thumbup:

(my sr20 runs 22-23 in summer and 20 in the winter)

20mpg is a hair low, (i highly doubt you can drive harder than me...im used to my sr20, so i really WOT the ga16 when i drive it.)

-change the air filter
-change fuel filter
-change spark plugs/wires
-clean the engine out by running 3 qts synthetic oil and another 1 qt of ATF for a week(dont redline! lol), then change back to your 5w-30. it wont mess your car up any, GM does it all the time to clean out the gunk after someone goes way over on an oil change.

should get you back up into the normal 24-28mpg range. :cheers:

·
265k miles and counting..
2,656 Posts
I have a few questions before I offer a diagnosis: How many miles are on it? Is the check engine light on?Is the exhaust overly "muted" sounding? What is your tire pressure? Do you like in a mountainous area? Has there been heavy snowfall on a regular basis since you bought the car?

I kick the snot out of my 95 GXE auto and get 23-26 mpg all day long in city driving using it for deliveries, and the one time it did get that bad, something was wrong (but I can't remember what).

·
Registered
429 Posts
the first day i got my 200SX SE-R i did about 29mpg, but as soon as i got used to it i started doing about 20mpg, Depending on how i drive i can see a a real difference in the MPG.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
-change the air filter - New Filter
-change fuel filter - Dunno might look into it
-change spark plugs/wires - Supposedly New plugs, wires, and cap and rotor. But not sure cause this guy was a crack dealer. I need to pull them and check.
-clean the engine out by running 3 qts synthetic oil and another 1 qt of ATF for a week(dont redline! lol), then change back to your 5w-30. it wont mess your car up any, GM does it all the time to clean out the gunk after someone goes way over on an oil change. -might try this as well

I have a few questions before I offer a diagnosis:
How many miles are on it? 123000 miles
Is the check engine light on? Nope
Is the exhaust overly "muted" sounding? Its not loud... but i dont really have anything to compare it to being muted w/... Its quieter then my dad's Toyota and a lot more quiet than our shitty Sportage that we've removed the cat on.
What is your tire pressure? 32 in the front, 30 in the rear. Do you like in a mountainous area? nope live in Southern Illinois. Mostly flat w/ a few hills.
Has there been heavy snowfall on a regular basis since you bought the car? No snow at all since i've bought the car.

I put another tank in it and didnt ride it hard at all and it still got pretty crappy mileage. Now my odometer/trip meter are going out or are sticking or something. But either way i know its still getting crap mileage cause i drove like 115mi yesterday do a motocross race and it used 1/2 a tank of gas... Thats still not what i am expecting. Of course i was doing on average 80 most of the way there and on the way back i took a different route and was doing around 95... I love how this car feels at that speed, It doesnt even feel like your going that fast.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Omega3k1 said:
-change fuel filter - Dunno might look into it
-change spark plugs/wires - Supposedly New plugs, wires, and cap and rotor. But not sure cause this guy was a crack dealer. I need to pull them and check.
-clean the engine out by running 3 qts synthetic oil and another 1 qt of ATF for a week(dont redline! lol), then change back to your 5w-30. it wont mess your car up any, GM does it all the time to clean out the gunk after someone goes way over on an oil change. -might try this as well

I have a few questions before I offer a diagnosis:
How many miles are on it? 123000 miles
Is the check engine light on? Nope
Is the exhaust overly "muted" sounding? Its not loud... but i dont really have anything to compare it to being muted w/... Its quieter then my dad's Toyota and a lot more quiet than our shitty Sportage that we've removed the cat on.
What is your tire pressure? 32 in the front, 30 in the rear. Do you like in a mountainous area? nope live in Southern Illinois. Mostly flat w/ a few hills.
Has there been heavy snowfall on a regular basis since you bought the car? No snow at all since i've bought the car.

I put another tank in it and didnt ride it hard at all and it still got pretty crappy mileage. Now my odometer/trip meter are going out or are sticking or something. But either way i know its still getting crap mileage cause i drove like 115mi yesterday do a motocross race and it used 1/2 a tank of gas... Thats still not what i am expecting. Of course i was doing on average 80 most of the way there and on the way back i took a different route and was doing around 95... I love how this car feels at that speed, It doesnt even feel like your going that fast.
actually now that i think about it 115miles on 1/2 a tank isnt that bad :p I still dont think somethign is right but i'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
Omega3k1 said:
My 97 GXE 4 dr manual 1.6 l does 25 around town (Dallas) in rush hour traffic. This is pretty consistant week after week.
Full to Empty this is 300 miles.
On a trip it really depends on speed. I have just come back from a trip to Austin and got 237/8.5 going and was driving hard, speed limited by traffic and enforcement. say 27.8
coming back slower and the gauge is over where I filled up before and over 250 miles. So I think its returned to the normal 30 - 34 on the highway.
This was quick , say 70 to 80 typical max 85 mph, but slower than the other way.
BTW this is mpg is lower than when the car was when new. I expect some of that is due to speed limit increases and speed of the journey, and some due to the wider tyres. Also think the O2 sensors are getting old. I am waiting to see information from someone thats changed the O2 sensors and the mpg change. All on Regular fuel.
Good luck.........

·
Registered
429 Posts
What revs do you guys try to cruise at? I try to stay around 2 - 2.5 for normal driving.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
Terran200sx said:
What revs do you guys try to cruise at? I try to stay around 2 - 2.5 for normal driving.
Sentra GXE = No Tach !!!! :)
Revs proportional to noise, so guess ?? beats me.
80 mph in 5th gear = 4,000 rpm ?
I do have a 200SX instrument cluster that includes tach and will install soon.
Will test it before the re-wire, have to sweet talk my daughter into borrowing her Car and into letting me remove her cluster so I can try mine. (200Sx-SER)

·
Registered
97 Posts
If I run till truly empty... I have never gotten less than 375 miles with a 12 gallon fill up. Sounds like you're right and you're using too much gas.. Try the plugs... cheap and doesn't hurt.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts