Nissan Forum banner

2023 Rogue Gas Leak/Gas Fumes/Engineering Review/Recall

50K views 197 replies 48 participants last post by  2023 Rogue SL AWD PREMIUM 
#1 ·
2023 Rogue-Same gas smell inside cabin and outside of car as others here have reported. Took the Rogue to the local Nissan dealership yesterday, and they said Nissan is aware of the issue and that the Rogue is under Engineering Review. Nissan dealership said they checked for gas leaks to make sure there was no safety problem, but that there was nothing else to do until Nissan issues a recall or figures out a fix for wherever the gas is leaking. Dealership said I had to be able to visually see leak and not just smell gasoline for them to do more. Also, I stay in the mid 20s for gas mileage even though I drive on Eco. Contacted national Nissan # and supposedly someone should be contacting me, but I see others have had no luck resolving this issue either. Unsure of what next steps should be

#3 ·
Nissan wrote in their system that they did not smell any leak while it was there. I do not know how long they even looked into it because they said it was already a problem and Nissan is working on it. The smell is not every day, and it goes away after a little while. So it would be easy for Nissan to keep denying they smell anything when I take the car in. I'm guessing when they told you it is under engineering review that they just recommended to continue driving your rogue while you are breathing in gas fumes and they said that breathing in gas fumes is no safety risk? I guess I'm still concerned and confused how they can say the smelling of gas fumes is no safety problem that they know of and was wondering if that is what they are telling everyone.

#7 ·
I just returned from the dealer with my 2023 Rogue. Their response to me in my opinion is unacceptable. They told me all the same things that I have read here," nothing they can do, no recall, wait and see....".Nothing they can do until a recall is issued or I blowup because its an actual gas leak?

#9 ·
I can't tell y'all what the fix will be, but I can confirm that Engineering is up to their ears with it. I did a quick search in the TechLine database and there were dozens of cases all marked "Engineering Review". Please understand that we can't fix what we don't have a fix for, so Engineering does need to identify the problem and specify a repair before your dealerships can do anything. Please also understand that gasoline needs a specific 13:1~14:1 mixture in air in order to ignite, and that doesn't happen in free air. So while it may smell foul, you can quit worrying about your car lighting up, that simply won't happen.

#10 ·
Registering to your forums just to chime in. I was actually browsing these forums unrelated to this issue.

I noticed a fuel smell in my garage yesterday. I didn't think too much of it and there was no odor this morning. I'm assuming I will be experiencing this repeatedly.

Do you all notice it outdoors too?

#11 ·
The smell was inconsistent at first and now it happens everytime we drive. The smell will go away overnight, it only happens after you drive it but will go away when parked for a while. The smell does occur outdoors as well, the other day my mother inlaw was getting in the car after going somewhere and before she opened the door she said "it smells like gas" and the car was parked on the street at that time.

#16 ·
Started around the 1700 mile mark.
Taking mine in tomorrow. Don't really notice it while driving, but when I park it in the garage it really smells.
Well just got back from the dealer. They couldn't really find anything. The tightened some clamp to see if that may the problem. Drove home parked in garage and smell still there. They told me to bring it back if it still happens. Looks like I going back. Opened a case in consumer relations there response was to take it to the dealer. What a joke.

#19 ·
just order the nissan rogue 2023 midnight for my wife, then saw so many complaints for the 2023 model.
based on this form, i saw canada customer have the same issue too. both US made Japan model have this problem. and someone mentioned the KD15 engine are all from japan. For me if the mechanic from dealer cant find the problem means the problem are from the engine which they will/can not check unless they open up the engine.
this KD15 start to use since 2022 at higher trim and for a period of time nothing happend to the most of 2022 model. which means there is a series of KD15 engine during a certain period of time are not good (maybe due to the shortage of pieces,they use some replacement)。
strongly suggest you guys compare the engine SN to identify if they are mostly the same production period.
also, the carproblemzoo.com shows that the highest complaint of 2023 rogue are other fuel system problems, most of them are gas smell. the most early complaint since oct.2022 with 2022 model.
i assume nissan know exactly what they did cause this problem and maybe fixed it already in the new production(dealer told me the one i ordered is a 2023.5 version.why a .5 version come out if theres no major problem?) .but they will not make a recall cause its a engine problem that gonna cost big to fix it and due to covid shortage, they of cause will delay their action.
i strongly suggest who have the problem with rogue try to exchange a pathfinder with your dealer. i have the pathfinder 2023 demo(6000km already) for 2 weeks, everything works well, 10years tested vq35 with 9at. compare with lawsuit and angry, with less cost upgrade to a less problem one make more sence, also, i figer out almost every nissan dealer have more pathfinder in inventory.
ill hang up my purchase and wait to see whats going on.
i was the first 5gen 17CRV buyer too, with creamy engine oil issue, honda fixed the problem after, but never to the 17 model. what imean is every car manufactor are good at calculate to save money, and their reputation are just nothing, becareful with covid year cars and dont try the new gen too early.
good luck guys.

#32 ·
I am curious how the Nissan Engineers are looking into this when they refuse to look at any of these cars? If they do not have an example on hand, how are they going to figure out the issue?

I had similar with my parking brake issues. The field services people would say they would look at my car then disappear never to be heard from again. I feel like they would tell me this just to get the car back to me or even avoid taking it in at all. They did this to me 3 times. The latest was back on December 20th and I am still waiting. Not that it matters anymore as they are finally buying my car back. Thank goodness for the lemon law.

My dealership techs were great, but Nissan Corporate is not to be trusted people. Nissan Consumer Assurance ghosted me for 3 months after my 3rd visit to the dealer. Car was in the shop 7 times in 7 months and 5000 miles. Then when I legally met the lemon law requirements, they finally contacted me again. BUT in that conversation, I caught the rep in 4 or 5 lies. She knew I had hired a lawyer and tried to get me to drop the lawyer. Like I said, they are not to be trusted.

Nissan offered me all of $2000 and I would keep the car. They say the warranty will still be in effect. But what good is a warranty if they won't even take the car in to look at it? As it is I have 2 more new issues that I couldn't ever get them to look at.

Anyway everyone having this gas leak issue, do strongly consider hiring a lawyer. Lemon laws are different in each state but in AZ and CA at least, the cost of the lawyer is paid by Nissan not you.

#33 ·
I am curious how the Nissan Engineers are looking into this when they refuse to look at any of these cars? If they do not have an example on hand, how are they going to figure out the issue?
The TechLine dbase is littered with cases and I'm sure some of them were collected for evaluation, probably months ago. So is it safe to assume they have examples? Yes. Is it safe to assume any of them would be here in the forum to tell us about it? In the words of a good friend, "Not bloody likely."

#34 ·
I leased my 2023 Rogue in mid November and the smell started in late Dec. Just got into the dealership today (they had a 6 week waiting list for appointments), and received the same diagnosis and result. I spoke to the Service Manager and confirmed with him that his dealership leased me a vehicle that had known problems and are prepared to put me and my family in danger and to experience health risks due to their inaction. He is prepared to provide me a loaner vehicle in the interim, but that means paying for a Rogue and driving something older and lesser. Nice! So folks, there is a class action lawsuit starting... might want to consider it. Nissan Rogue Gas Smell | 2023 Rogue Gas Fumes/Leak | In Cabin

#37 ·
I can't say anything more at this time, but I can disclose that Engineering has found the source of the problem and there are parts being manufactured as we speak. They'll be issuing a service bulletin as soon as the parts chain catches up. I'm told the problem is a materials issue in the PCV system related to winter fuel (porous rubber would be my educated guess), and that the problem is almost totally limited to areas with temperatures below freezing. The fix is on the way.

#44 ·
My 23 rogue smells like gas on the inside and outside. Today I’m taking my rogue into a dealership 2 get two new hoses with different coating. Did t say where they we’re putting g them but it takes 45 minutes for the install. Dealership states others had the same thing done on their 23 rogues and can no longer smell gas. Will report back later!

#45 ·
My 23 rogue smells like gas on the inside and outside. Today I’m taking my rogue into a dealership 2 get two new hoses with different coating. Did t say where they we’re putting g them but it takes 45 minutes for the install. Dealership states others had the same thing done on their 23 rogues and can no longer smell gas. Will report back later!
If it works, get the part numbers for the replaced parts and I can cross index them to find out exactly what they're doing. Sounds like PCV hoses given what else I know, but that could confirm it.

#55 ·
Update 3/23- My fuel temp sensor went out and warning came up on dash. Took it in, and Nissan said that sensor was broken, but it was causing no problem to my 2023 Rogue and to wait on the part. They said it would cause no problem or harm to keep driving (which I had to keep driving for a month and a half while waiting on the new fuel pump). They told me that they thought it was unrelated to the gas smell I've been having. They replaced the fuel pump last week when the part finally came in. My gas mileage is so much better already. I'm averaging around 30-32 mpg now instead of staying in the mid 20s where I had been since I bought it. I also have not noticed the gas smell the last week. They say it was not related, but it possibly fixed both? I know for them to say it was not affecting my car at all, it has been better in gas mileage, so I'm thankful for that help. Maybe fuel temp sensor or fuel pump checks could help someone else on here.

#56 ·
Update 3/23- My fuel temp sensor went out and warning came up on dash. Took it in, and Nissan said that sensor was broken, but it was causing no problem to my 2023 Rogue and to wait on the part. They said it would cause no problem or harm to keep driving (which I had to keep driving for a month and a half while waiting on the new fuel pump). They told me that they thought it was unrelated to the gas smell I've been having. They replaced the fuel pump last week when the part finally came in. My gas mileage is so much better already. I'm averaging around 30-32 mpg now instead of staying in the mid 20s where I had been since I bought it. I also have not noticed the gas smell the last week. They say it was not related, but it possibly fixed both? I know for them to say it was not affecting my car at all, it has been better in gas mileage, so I'm thankful for that help. Maybe fuel temp sensor or fuel pump checks could help someone else on here.

#57 ·
I think they fixed the issue of gas smell. After the hoses/appointment I could no longer smell gas. It hasn’t affected performance and my mpg is a little better. I just did what corporate told me and asked the dealership. If you haven’t called your dealership I suggest you do. Whatever they did (as they wouldn’t tell me specifically) it worked !