Nissan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
I just returned from the dealer with my 2023 Rogue. Their response to me in my opinion is unacceptable. They told me all the same things that I have read here," nothing they can do, no recall, wait and see....".Nothing they can do until a recall is issued or I blowup because its an actual gas leak?
hello, is your version a turbo one or the old 2.5 L ?

· Registered
6 Posts
seems only the 1.5T have this kind of problem, both US and Canada version, but someone said even the US made 1.5T engines are from japan.
looks a bit like the issue with the CRV when honda introduced the turbo 1.5 L with 2017 version, that was first Turbo in CRV and lots of people reported fuel leaks mixing with engine oil compartment which led to gas smell via the AC vent...did you check your dip stick whether there is no excessive oil ?

· Registered
4,099 Posts
looks a bit like the issue with the CRV when honda introduced the turbo 1.5 L with 2017 version, that was first Turbo in CRV and lots of people reported fuel leaks mixing with engine oil compartment which led to gas smell via the AC vent...did you check your dip stick whether there is no excessive oil ?
There's technician "tip sheet" out which basically acknowledges that Nissan doesn't have an answer yet but instructs dealerships to document instances. No bulletin yet, so we techs still don't have a fix. They don't have us checking the sticks, so I'm pretty sure they don't think it's a dilution issue.

· Registered
4,099 Posts
Actually I am not owning this car , I very like the look of the new rogue and want to buy one this quarter however with the issue of gas smell I will pick the 2.5 version which is available in canada in case this engine is not reported to have this issue
Like I said, I haven't seen any and neither has Nissan TechLine. The 2.5 seems to be free of this problem.

· Registered
44 Posts
2023 Rogue-Same gas smell inside cabin and outside of car as others here have reported. Took the Rogue to the local Nissan dealership yesterday, and they said Nissan is aware of the issue and that the Rogue is under Engineering Review. Nissan dealership said they checked for gas leaks to make sure there was no safety problem, but that there was nothing else to do until Nissan issues a recall or figures out a fix for wherever the gas is leaking. Dealership said I had to be able to visually see leak and not just smell gasoline for them to do more. Also, I stay in the mid 20s for gas mileage even though I drive on Eco. Contacted national Nissan # and supposedly someone should be contacting me, but I see others have had no luck resolving this issue either. Unsure of what next steps should be
Is your gas mileage number coming from your car's computer...or are you taking the time and effort to get real-world mpg (filling up, driving miles, filling up, seeing miles driven, and using a calculator) ?

· Registered
5 Posts
There's technician "tip sheet" out which basically acknowledges that Nissan doesn't have an answer yet but instructs dealerships to document instances. No bulletin yet, so we techs still don't have a fix. They don't have us checking the sticks, so I'm pretty sure they don't think it's a dilution issue.
Will techs/dealers perform a dilution test if requested? Out of pocket or otherwise? Thinking that if it comes time to lawyer up they will want to do their own testing on top of the independent lab test I am having done. Would be nice to have that done in advance.

· Registered
4,099 Posts
Will techs/dealers perform a dilution test if requested? Out of pocket or otherwise?
Labs don't work for free last time I looked, and if Engineering doesn't suspect a dilution issue (neither do I), then I'm sure it's your nickel.
Thinking that if it comes time to lawyer up they will want to do their own testing on top of the independent lab test I am having done. Would be nice to have that done in advance.
I'm a tech, not an ambulance chaser. You're on your own about that.

· Registered
152 Posts
I am curious how the Nissan Engineers are looking into this when they refuse to look at any of these cars? If they do not have an example on hand, how are they going to figure out the issue?

I had similar with my parking brake issues. The field services people would say they would look at my car then disappear never to be heard from again. I feel like they would tell me this just to get the car back to me or even avoid taking it in at all. They did this to me 3 times. The latest was back on December 20th and I am still waiting. Not that it matters anymore as they are finally buying my car back. Thank goodness for the lemon law.

My dealership techs were great, but Nissan Corporate is not to be trusted people. Nissan Consumer Assurance ghosted me for 3 months after my 3rd visit to the dealer. Car was in the shop 7 times in 7 months and 5000 miles. Then when I legally met the lemon law requirements, they finally contacted me again. BUT in that conversation, I caught the rep in 4 or 5 lies. She knew I had hired a lawyer and tried to get me to drop the lawyer. Like I said, they are not to be trusted.

Nissan offered me all of $2000 and I would keep the car. They say the warranty will still be in effect. But what good is a warranty if they won't even take the car in to look at it? As it is I have 2 more new issues that I couldn't ever get them to look at.

Anyway everyone having this gas leak issue, do strongly consider hiring a lawyer. Lemon laws are different in each state but in AZ and CA at least, the cost of the lawyer is paid by Nissan not you.

· Registered
4,099 Posts
I am curious how the Nissan Engineers are looking into this when they refuse to look at any of these cars? If they do not have an example on hand, how are they going to figure out the issue?
The TechLine dbase is littered with cases and I'm sure some of them were collected for evaluation, probably months ago. So is it safe to assume they have examples? Yes. Is it safe to assume any of them would be here in the forum to tell us about it? In the words of a good friend, "Not bloody likely."

· Registered
1 Posts
I leased my 2023 Rogue in mid November and the smell started in late Dec. Just got into the dealership today (they had a 6 week waiting list for appointments), and received the same diagnosis and result. I spoke to the Service Manager and confirmed with him that his dealership leased me a vehicle that had known problems and are prepared to put me and my family in danger and to experience health risks due to their inaction. He is prepared to provide me a loaner vehicle in the interim, but that means paying for a Rogue and driving something older and lesser. Nice! So folks, there is a class action lawsuit starting... might want to consider it. Nissan Rogue Gas Smell | 2023 Rogue Gas Fumes/Leak | In Cabin

· Registered
1 Posts
Nissan wrote in their system that they did not smell any leak while it was there. I do not know how long they even looked into it because they said it was already a problem and Nissan is working on it. The smell is not every day, and it goes away after a little while. So it would be easy for Nissan to keep denying they smell anything when I take the car in. I'm guessing when they told you it is under engineering review that they just recommended to continue driving your rogue while you are breathing in gas fumes and they said that breathing in gas fumes is no safety risk? I guess I'm still concerned and confused how they can say the smelling of gas fumes is no safety problem that they know of and was wondering if that is what they are telling everyone.
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO ADD AN ATTACHMENT FOR ALL TO READ; (MSDS)
BOTH NISSAN AND CUSTOMERS WITH THIS PROBLEM!!
GASOLINE IS RATED AS A CARCINOGEN EVEN IF YOU BREATHE THE FUMES FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME. I AM A CHEMIST AND THE MSDS (safety data sheets) CLEARLY STATES THE PROPERTIES OF GASOLINE AND WARN THAT IT CONTAINS MANY CARCINOGENS, NOT JUST ONE! IF NISSAN IS TELLING YOU IT IS SAFE TO BREATHE GASOLINE, THEY ARE GROSSLY MISINFORMED OR LYING TO US ALL!
This is an excerpt from an MSDS regarding this fact;
INHALATION
"Excessive exposure may cause irritations to the nose, throat, lungs and respiratory tract. Central nervous system (brain) effects may include headache, dizziness, loss of balance and coordination, unconsciousness, coma, respiratory failure, and death."
I have already suffered a situation where half spent fuel fumes flooded the cabin from which I suffered dizziness, loss of coordination and nausea, almost losing consciousness and burning of my nose, eyes and throat. This was one of many incidents that we have experienced. Several times lasting over an hour while traveling. Being told each time they could find nothing wrong!
MSDS for Gasoline - All Types

· Registered
4,099 Posts
I can't say anything more at this time, but I can disclose that Engineering has found the source of the problem and there are parts being manufactured as we speak. They'll be issuing a service bulletin as soon as the parts chain catches up. I'm told the problem is a materials issue in the PCV system related to winter fuel (porous rubber would be my educated guess), and that the problem is almost totally limited to areas with temperatures below freezing. The fix is on the way.

· Registered
152 Posts
I can't say anything more at this time, but I can disclose that Engineering has found the source of the problem and there are parts being manufactured as we speak. They'll be issuing a service bulletin as soon as the parts chain catches up. I'm told the problem is a materials issue in the PCV system related to winter fuel (porous rubber would be my educated guess), and that the problem is almost totally limited to areas with temperatures below freezing. The fix is on the way.

That much better accounts for the people stating this also happens while driving. The idea that it was due to leaking injectors at shut down just wasn't sounding plausible for those people's situation.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts