Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon All,

I am new here, just joined. I have a few quick questions about my car, was hoping somebody can help me?

I have the 2021 Nissan Altima 2.0 SR Turbo. I would like to purchase a cold air intake, preferably K&N, unless others have a better option for me. However, I am having trouble confirming the exact model that will fit my motor? Is it the same as the 2.5 motor?

Also, can i put a blow off valve on the turbo? Any help with advice or an option would be great!

Thank you.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,242 Posts
There may not be any available that is specifically designed for your Altima, yet. The 2.0L engine used in your Altima is very different than the QR25DE that's been in the Altima since 2002. The 2.0L is revolutionary in design in that is has variable compression ratio accomplished by connecting rods that have a pivot in them. Being used as an option engine in the current Altima and in the Infiniti QX50, there are not a lot of them out there to provide a lot of performance modification info nor warrant the production of a lot of aftermarket parts production; what I mean by that is a company has to put millions of dollars into development of such parts, so there has to be enough of a market for them to recoup that investment and make a profit, otherwise there's no incentive for them. There are lots of aftermarket parts for Camaros and Mustangs because there are tons of them out there and they are popular! Also, the 2.0L VC turbo engine isn't really made for performance; they were made for gas mileage and torque. Nissan clouts V6 performance with 4-cyl. gas mileage, but the road reviews of the engine haven't been all that great, saying the engine isn't that great with gas mileage is kinda "meh" as far as performance. The only thing I can tell you about removing the blow off valve is that it will definitely void the powertrain warranty. With such a technically advanced and unproven engine (which is probably expensive to replace and almost non-existent in salvage yards, I'd advise against doing it until more is learned about it. The factory air cleaner is already a "cold air intake" design, and even if there was an aftermarket option, most of these systems really don't make much in significant performance to warrant the cost and are more about looks and intake sound than actual horsepower when it comes to daily drivers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There may not be any available that is specifically designed for your Altima, yet. The 2.0L engine used in your Altima is very different than the QR25DE that's been in the Altima since 2002. The 2.0L is revolutionary in design in that is has variable compression ratio accomplished by connecting rods that have a pivot in them. Being used as an option engine in the current Altima and in the Infiniti QX50, there are not a lot of them out there to provide a lot of performance modification info nor warrant the production of a lot of aftermarket parts production; what I mean by that is a company has to put millions of dollars into development of such parts, so there has to be enough of a market for them to recoup that investment and make a profit, otherwise there's no incentive for them. There are lots of aftermarket parts for Camaros and Mustangs because there are tons of them out there and they are popular! Also, the 2.0L VC turbo engine isn't really made for performance; they were made for gas mileage and torque. Nissan clouts V6 performance with 4-cyl. gas mileage, but the road reviews of the engine haven't been all that great, saying the engine isn't that great with gas mileage is kinda "meh" as far as performance. The only thing I can tell you about removing the blow off valve is that it will definitely void the powertrain warranty. With such a technically advanced and unproven engine (which is probably expensive to replace and almost non-existent in salvage yards, I'd advise against doing it until more is learned about it. The factory air cleaner is already a "cold air intake" design, and even if there was an aftermarket option, most of these systems really don't make much in significant performance to warrant the cost and are more about looks and intake sound than actual horsepower when it comes to daily drivers.
Thank you for your reply. Very detailed. Not looking to void my warranty by any means, I appreciate your reply.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,497 Posts
Good Afternoon All,

I am new here, just joined. I have a few quick questions about my car, was hoping somebody can help me?

I have the 2021 Nissan Altima 2.0 SR Turbo. I would like to purchase a cold air intake, preferably K&N, unless others have a better option for me. However, I am having trouble confirming the exact model that will fit my motor? Is it the same as the 2.5 motor?

Also, can i put a blow off valve on the turbo? Any help with advice or an option would be great!

Thank you.
The turbo system already has a factory blow off valve, which is called a recirculator, that's specially engineered to recirculate metered air. If you were to replace it with an aftermarket blow-off valve, you might end up with undesireable engine operation and possible engine damage. So you want to make that blow-off noise that a lot of modified turbo cars make.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Afternoon All,

Thank you.
Yes, SR 2.0T has an inbuilt/ factory-installed blow-off valve, anf going for an aftermarket blow-valve may not be reliable enough. Though what's your exact purpose of getting the same? as the 248 hp motor is super slick and going for aftermarket BOV will affect the efficiency and engine groaning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are still looking for an Intake, AEM told me they are working on theirs currently.

"We assure you we are in the development stages of our 2.0T Altima kit. A vehicle has been brought in and scanned. We have begun the CAD (Computer Aided Design) process. We hope to have a kit available soon."

·
Registered
836 Posts
Being used as an option engine in the current Altima and in the Infiniti QX50, there are not a lot of them out there to provide a lot of performance modification info nor warrant the production of a lot of aftermarket parts production; what I mean by that is a company has to put millions of dollars into development of such parts, so there has to be enough of a market for them to recoup that investment and make a profit, otherwise there's no incentive for them. There are lots of aftermarket parts for Camaros and Mustangs because there are tons of them out there and they are popular!
I can tell you the proportion of turbo VC's we see at our dealership is small, maybe 10% compared to the NA 2.5L VC. The good news is, the VC systems don't seem to be a failure point on either version. We were all terrified about that when the '19's arrived, since every other OE attempt at VC has been a dismal failure from a reliability standpoint. Now it looks like Nissan got it right, we recently had our first VC Altie roll in with over 100K on the clock and we're not seeing VC-related issues. Keep in mind that this is an infant technology. When tuners discover the real power of ramping compression instead of popping the blowoff, I think really good stuff is going to happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can tell you the proportion of turbo VC's we see at our dealership is small, maybe 10% compared to the NA 2.5L VC. The good news is, the VC systems don't seem to be a failure point on either version. We were all terrified about that when the '19's arrived, since every other OE attempt at VC has been a dismal failure from a reliability standpoint. Now it looks like Nissan got it right, we recently had our first VC Altie roll in with over 100K on the clock and we're not seeing VC-related issues. Keep in mind that this is an infant technology. When tuners discover the real power of ramping compression instead of popping the blowoff, I think really good stuff is going to happen.
From a reliability standpoint, this is really good to hear. How have the mated CVTs been holding up? People are still worried about them but I haven't been seeing many actual failures in this gens CVT.

When I bought mine, it was I believe 1 of 2 on the lot. I rarely see other owners online. To be honest though, the 2.5 AWD seems to be doing pretty well. I'm loving my VC turbo though. It's a great car and fun to drive when I want it to be.

·
Registered
836 Posts
From a reliability standpoint, this is really good to hear. How have the mated CVTs been holding up? People are still worried about them but I haven't been seeing many actual failures in this gens CVT.
CVT's will always be CVT's. Same old story, change the dang fluid and add a series cooler after the warranty is up and they'll run forever. Drive-and-forget, the 4-cyl versions will crap someplace between 80K~120K depending how much lead is in your foot. The only mystery is why I need to educate customers about it, Nissan should be doing that. We'd be replacing a whole lot fewer CVT's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CVT's will always be CVT's. Same old story, change the dang fluid and add a series cooler after the warranty is up and they'll run forever. Drive-and-forget, the 4-cyl versions will crap someplace between 80K~120K depending how much lead is in your foot. The only mystery is why I need to educate customers about it, Nissan should be doing that. We'd be replacing a whole lot fewer CVT's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just handed down my 2013 2.5 Altie with 183k, I ran the hell out of it without any issues from the CVT or anything else. I’m one of those “if you ain’t first your last” type drivers. I currently have a Platinum VC-turbo and run it the same way, hope to get the same return from this one. I did see where K&N makes an air filter for the 2.0, it my give you a little more growl if that’s what you’re looking for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts