Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was going to get a used frontier around a 2016 year but I am getting a really good deal on a new 2020 Midnight edition with only 10 miles on it, kinda hard to pass it up knowing I will be the first owner. Anyone else own a 2020 Frontier and know anything to look out for? Anyone had any problems? I would love to drive the thing until the wheels fall off, or at least a few years after the vehicle is paid off.

Keith

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well I was going to get a used frontier around a 2016 year but I am getting a really good deal on a new 2020 Midnight edition with only 10 miles on it, kinda hard to pass it up knowing I will be the first owner. Anyone else own a 2020 Frontier and know anything to look out for? Anyone had any problems? I would love to drive the thing until the wheels fall off, or at least a few years after the vehicle is paid off.

Keith
Keith,

IMO You are rolling the dice either way. I don't like buying used because it's so hard to find out about hidden problem's. So it's a Big Risk.

The 2020 is the same body/chassis with a New Engine and Transmission so it's also a Risk, but with a Bumper to Bumper Warranty for 3 Year's and More on Some of the EPA Component's.

I like buy New so I have a Warranty and Know from the Getgo the Maintenance and HOW it was TREATED.

I Personally would go for the Brand New 2020 with a Warranty, DO ALL THE RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE and TREAT IT WITH CARE and DON'T ABUSE IT. @ the 3 year Warranty Period ending, then decide whether to Keep It, Sell It, or Trade it @ that time.

Read and ReRead the Owner's Manual to Understand and Follow the Loading and Towing Limit's. DO NOT EXCEED THOSE LIMIT'S UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE'S. USE ONLY A GENIUNE NISSAN OIL FILTER. FOLLOW THE BREAK IN PERIOD TO THE LETTER. DO NOT EXCEED THE RECOMMENDED MAX RPM'S. If you want your Engine to Last a Long time, Try not to exceed the Break In RPM's EVER DURING YOUR OWNERSHIP. High RPM's Kill Engine's & Transmission's. High RPM's put the Engine & Transmission under Extreme Stress, Cause Very Fast Wear, and Push Part's to Over Fail Limit's.

Item's that I've found to be Worth Every Penny and a Whole lot more are Cheap Neoprene Seat Cover's(I paid 30 $'s for a set on EBay for my '13 and they are still holding up), Center Arm Rest Cover, Floor Mat's, Steering Wheel Cover, Geniun Nissan Bed Liner, Nissan Hood Bug Shield, Geniune Nissan Receiver with Geniune Nissan Electrical Tow Connector Kit, Anderson Aluminum Draw Bar, SS 2" Draw Bar Ball, Front Windshield Sun Shade, UWS Aluminum Diamond Plate Bed Tool Box. When it come's time for Resale these Item's Pay way over what you paid for them IMO.

Good Luck

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,242 Posts
One thing about the 2020 is that the 9-speed AT has no dipstick to check the fluid level nor to add fluid.

·
Registered
444 Posts
One thing about the 2020 is that the 9-speed AT has no dipstick to check the fluid level nor to add fluid.
SMJ,

Plus as I understand it also has a Plastic ATF Sump Pan. 2 Point's that I personally wouldn't like at all.

Hopefully they'll give the New Body Style a Way to Check the ATF and Hopefully a way to add ATF or Drain when needed.

Too much Cost Saveing useing Plastic as an Excuse IMO.

Regards,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, I decided to keep looking and did not jump the gun. I am going to look at a Certified 2019 Midnight edition Frontier of the same trim level on Saturday. It only has 5,000 miles on it, along with the certified warranty I cant lose. Don't know much about reliability of the new engine and tranny in the 2020 so this seemed like a smart move.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback, I decided to keep looking and did not jump the gun. I am going to look at a Certified 2019 Midnight edition Frontier of the same trim level on Saturday. It only has 5,000 miles on it, along with the certified warranty I cant lose. Don't know much about reliability of the new engine and tranny in the 2020 so this seemed like a smart move.
Keith,

I wish you well on whichever way you decide to go.

The Used Truck market now is Red Hot. A couple day's ago I checked the online appraisal Value of My 2013 SVV6 and they are selling for almost what I paid for mine 8 year's ago Brand New.

It's just plain Crazy Price's for Truck's now. I'm on the DownHill Slide now and I hope I don't have to buy another Truck. Maybe they'll just let me be Buried in Mine.

In case I didn't mention; If you have a Nissan Vehicle, You can call Nissan Consumer Affair's and Ask for a Loyalty Discount on a New Nissan. Many don't know about that and it really helped me when I got mine.

Best of Luck,

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,242 Posts
SMJ,

Plus as I understand it also has a Plastic ATF Sump Pan. 2 Point's that I personally wouldn't like at all.

Hopefully they'll give the New Body Style a Way to Check the ATF and Hopefully a way to add ATF or Drain when needed.

Too much Cost Saveing useing Plastic as an Excuse IMO.

Regards,
Perhaps the aftermarket will come through with a steel or aluminum trans pan? Time will tell... But, I wouldn't expect any changes to the transmission in the new model outside of remapped shift programming, maybe.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Perhaps the aftermarket will come through with a steel or aluminum trans pan? Time will tell... But, I wouldn't expect any changes to the transmission in the new model outside of remapped shift programming, maybe.
SMJ,

One thing that I've read by owner's is that the Transmission Top gear can be selected when needed. Like they can select 5th Gear as Top and it will be somewhat like the 5 Speed AT like I have for maybe Conjested Traffic Driveing and then when on the Interstate or open road 2 lane can go back to the 9 spd.

We can also do that as well with the 5 Speed, but with a 9 speed I would think that is a Welcome Option. I usually turn the Over Drive Off when I'm towing with my 5 speed.

Hopefully a Metal ATF Sump Pan will come out shortly for the 9 Speeder's and a way to check, Drain, and Fill as needed for the Owner's that want to do their own preventative maintenance.

I still think Nissan should bring back a Metal Front Bumper for the Frontier. I understand that the Frontier is a Light Duty Truck and with the Plastic Front End Styleing they are trying to lure the SUV People into a Truck that will do everything an SUV can do and a Whole lot more.

I know it's a changeing World and Market, but the Metal Front Bumper is a Truck Need IMO.

Regards,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I found a frontier I am buying in the morning. Its not a Midnight edition but its a brand new 2020. 2020 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 SV...only 10 miles on it. Getting it for 32,000 out the door price which I was happy with, plus I should be getting 0 percent interest as well. They put a sold sign on it and I told them better not show up tomorrow and you try to change the numbers on me lol. I wanted a midnight edition but I could probably modify it to make it pretty close to looking like a midnight edition

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well I found a frontier I am buying in the morning. Its not a Midnight edition but its a brand new 2020. 2020 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 SV...only 10 miles on it. Getting it for 32,000 out the door price which I was happy with, plus I should be getting 0 percent interest as well. They put a sold sign on it and I told them better not show up tomorrow and you try to change the numbers on me lol. I wanted a midnight edition but I could probably modify it to make it pretty close to looking like a midnight edition
Keith,

Although it's Brand Spanking New, be sure to drive it to make sure everything is functioning as it should. During these Crazy Time's even Brand New one's can have malfunction's if not assembled correctly.

Be careful with the Mod's. Some mod's can increase the Resale Value, while other's can Decrease Resale Value. Recently I online appraised mine out of curiosity just to see how much mine is selling for. One of the thing's they wanted to know was if the Vehicle was modified. If checked the Resale Value was less. Keep the Engine, Transmission, & Exhaust OEM is my advice. Use only Nissan Oil Filter's. I usually buy my Geniune Nissan Oil filter's off of Amazon or Ebay. There are Nissan Dealer part's Department's selling on Amazon and Ebay now for substantially Less.

Cheap Neoprene Seat Cover's, Floor Mat's, Center Console Armrest cover's, Exterior Side Body protector's, Hood Bug Shield, Geniune Nissan Tow (Receiver & Electrical Kit), Bed Liner, Aluminum Bed Tool Box, Steering Wheel Cover; All those item's you get back over what you paid @ Resale. I went through about 3 or 4 set's of Neoprene Seat Cover's @ about 30 $'s a piece on my previous '93 Hardbody. Just before I sold It I took off the last set and the Seat's still looked like Brand New, Not even Faded @ 20 year's old. The First person that saw it bought it for his Wife to drive back and forth to work.

Here's hopeing all goe's good and You are Happy with your New Nissan Truck. I bought my '13 Brand New and I still think that I got the Best One for the Money. This is my 2nd Nissan Truck and So Far So Good.

Be sure to read the Owner's Manual and follow the Break In Period as outlined in the Owner's Manual. So the Engine and Transmission will last a Long Time.

All the Best,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keith,

Although it's Brand Spanking New, be sure to drive it to make sure everything is functioning as it should. During these Crazy Time's even Brand New one's can have malfunction's if not assembled correctly.

Be careful with the Mod's. Some mod's can increase the Resale Value, while other's can Decrease Resale Value. Recently I online appraised mine out of curiosity just to see how much mine is selling for. One of the thing's they wanted to know was if the Vehicle was modified. If checked the Resale Value was less. Keep the Engine, Transmission, & Exhaust OEM is my advice. Use only Nissan Oil Filter's. I usually buy my Geniune Nissan Oil filter's off of Amazon or Ebay. There are Nissan Dealer part's Department's selling on Amazon and Ebay now for substantially Less.

Cheap Neoprene Seat Cover's, Floor Mat's, Center Console Armrest cover's, Exterior Side Body protector's, Hood Bug Shield, Geniune Nissan Tow (Receiver & Electrical Kit), Bed Liner, Aluminum Bed Tool Box, Steering Wheel Cover; All those item's you get back over what you paid @ Resale. I went through about 3 or 4 set's of Neoprene Seat Cover's @ about 30 $'s a piece on my previous '93 Hardbody. Just before I sold It I took off the last set and the Seat's still looked like Brand New, Not even Faded @ 20 year's old. The First person that saw it bought it for his Wife to drive back and forth to work.

Here's hopeing all goe's good and You are Happy with your New Nissan Truck. I bought my '13 Brand New and I still think that I got the Best One for the Money. This is my 2nd Nissan Truck and So Far So Good.

Be sure to read the Owner's Manual and follow the Break In Period as outlined in the Owner's Manual. So the Engine and Transmission will last a Long Time.

All the Best,
Ah man, thanks for the good sound advice. Yeah I will definitely check the truck over and give it a good test drive. I don't plan on doing anything to mod the engine or transmission at all. I will prob get a small leveling kit for it, darken out the emblem and grill. Maybe some new rims for it. The truck actually already has a bed liner in it. Here is a link to the truck

New 2020 Nissan Frontier SV in West Bend, WI - Russ Darrow Nissan Of West Bend

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ah man, thanks for the good sound advice. Yeah I will definitely check the truck over and give it a good test drive. I don't plan on doing anything to mod the engine or transmission at all. I will prob get a small leveling kit for it, darken out the emblem and grill. Maybe some new rims for it. The truck actually already has a bed liner in it. Here is a link to the truck

New 2020 Nissan Frontier SV in West Bend, WI - Russ Darrow Nissan Of West Bend
Keith,

It is definitely a Very Pretty Truck. Allready got the Nissan Receiver, Bedliner, Rail Tie down's, Backup Camera(I like that), Fog Light's, Big Video Screen, All the needed Basic's. I do wish mine had a Rear Camera for hooking up the Trailer, but I've never had one, so I keep doing it with the Alignment Ball's to prevent damage. The nissan Receiver is a class IV on mine and probly is on your's too. That's Good, and you allready have the 7 pin electrical hookup with the electrical kit allready installed. That's Good. They make a 4 pin coverter plug in to the 7 pin for a Utility Trailer Light Hookup.

If your headlight's don't light the road up good enough, you can adjust them up a couple click's. I've read some going aftermarket for High Bright Led headlamp's, not even trying to adjust their headlight's 1st, wasting their money and blinding oncomeing traffic.

Once I added the UWS Tool box(Filled it up), and Step Rail's mine sit's about level. I have the KC 6ft bed so that make's a difference on how big the tool box can be to allow for some extra space in the bed. Your's also come's with the Bed extender and that's good. For those thing's that won't fit in the bed,, just get you a utility trailer. I've got the 6 ft bed and still use my utility trailer a lot, cause on heavy thing's I can use the Hand TRuck to roll them onto the Trailer useing the Trailer Gate Ramp. I just got a 200 lb air compressor and useing the trailer I could unload it without hurting myself or damageing the air compressor.

Don't abuse it,, and it'll probly last a long time. The 4 liter owner's have been getting over 300K mile's when they are taken care of, So hopefully your's will get that much and who know's maybe over 400K mile's. Not too long ago a fellow up in Michigan got over 1M mile's out of his Gen II 2.5L 4 cylinder! Nissan gave him a Brand New Truck.

Hope all goe's well with the Deal and You'll be Rideing Home in Your New Nissan Truck.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keith,

It is definitely a Very Pretty Truck. Allready got the Nissan Receiver, Bedliner, Rail Tie down's, Backup Camera(I like that), Fog Light's, Big Video Screen, All the needed Basic's. I do wish mine had a Rear Camera for hooking up the Trailer, but I've never had one, so I keep doing it with the Alignment Ball's to prevent damage. The nissan Receiver is a class IV on mine and probly is on your's too. That's Good, and you allready have the 7 pin electrical hookup with the electrical kit allready installed. That's Good. They make a 4 pin coverter plug in to the 7 pin for a Utility Trailer Light Hookup.

If your headlight's don't light the road up good enough, you can adjust them up a couple click's. I've read some going aftermarket for High Bright Led headlamp's, not even trying to adjust their headlight's 1st, wasting their money and blinding oncomeing traffic.

Once I added the UWS Tool box(Filled it up), and Step Rail's mine sit's about level. I have the KC 6ft bed so that make's a difference on how big the tool box can be to allow for some extra space in the bed. Your's also come's with the Bed extender and that's good. For those thing's that won't fit in the bed,, just get you a utility trailer. I've got the 6 ft bed and still use my utility trailer a lot, cause on heavy thing's I can use the Hand TRuck to roll them onto the Trailer useing the Trailer Gate Ramp. I just got a 200 lb air compressor and useing the trailer I could unload it without hurting myself or damageing the air compressor.

Don't abuse it,, and it'll probly last a long time. The 4 liter owner's have been getting over 300K mile's when they are taken care of, So hopefully your's will get that much and who know's maybe over 400K mile's. Not too long ago a fellow up in Michigan got over 1M mile's out of his Gen II 2.5L 4 cylinder! Nissan gave him a Brand New Truck.

Hope all goe's well with the Deal and You'll be Rideing Home in Your New Nissan Truck.

Good Luck,

Well Barney I am about to go off on a Rant here...So the drive was 3.5 hours away to the dealership that I was buying this truck from. I get 15 minutes away and called and told that the vehicle was just sold. Im like I drove over 3 hours to get here and you sell the truck that literally had my name in the dash on a sign that said sold on it yesterday. This dude had to pull this sign out and sell it right underneath me. The General Manager tells me listen we do not know each other and I don't blame you for being upset but we get plenty of people who say they are going to drive hours away and never show up. And if they do show up they dont buy the vehicle. I was like My man all you had to do was call me this morning and ask me if I was still coming and atleast see if I answer the phone. I drove 3.5 hours with my wife and a crying 2 year old in the back seat. But this is where it gets even weirder. I get there and he was gonna sell me a 2021 Midnight edition for the same price I came up there for the other 2020 frontier. Crazy part is I didnt buy it I went home....Something in my gut said not to do it, now Im kicking myself but I dont want to give them jackasses my money even if I was getting a deal I would not get anywhere else in the nation. I guess I will go check out this 2019 Midnight edition this upcoming weekend I found a pretty good deal on. It only has 5,000 miles on the thing and is certified. Besides the new engine and transmission I cant see there being a huge difference between the 2019 and newer midnight edition. But after actually seeing and driving the midnight edition today its the only one I really want.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well Barney I am about to go off on a Rant here...So the drive was 3.5 hours away to the dealership that I was buying this truck from. I get 15 minutes away and called and told that the vehicle was just sold. Im like I drove over 3 hours to get here and you sell the truck that literally had my name in the dash on a sign that said sold on it yesterday. This dude had to pull this sign out and sell it right underneath me. The General Manager tells me listen we do not know each other and I don't blame you for being upset but we get plenty of people who say they are going to drive hours away and never show up. And if they do show up they dont buy the vehicle. I was like My man all you had to do was call me this morning and ask me if I was still coming and atleast see if I answer the phone. I drove 3.5 hours with my wife and a crying 2 year old in the back seat. But this is where it gets even weirder. I get there and he was gonna sell me a 2021 Midnight edition for the same price I came up there for the other 2020 frontier. Crazy part is I didnt buy it I went home....Something in my gut said not to do it, now Im kicking myself but I dont want to give them jackasses my money even if I was getting a deal I would not get anywhere else in the nation. I guess I will go check out this 2019 Midnight edition this upcoming weekend I found a pretty good deal on. It only has 5,000 miles on the thing and is certified. Besides the new engine and transmission I cant see there being a huge difference between the 2019 and newer midnight edition. But after actually seeing and driving the midnight edition today its the only one I really want.
Keith,

I had a really hard time trying to get a New Truck at a price that I could afford. I wanted a White Frontier KC 2WD AT V6 with upgraded wheel's, and 6' Bed, which boiled down to an SVV6 KC. The local dealer gave me a really good price for the exact truck that I wanted, but I really wasn't ready to make the purchase at that time. I needed to wait until after my house was built to know where My finance's were after the dust settled.

When I got ready to buy, the local dealer wouldn't make me that deal again. I drove 90 mile's to another Dealer in another State that was going to make me a good deal on a 4 cyl SV, but when I got there, he wouldn't stand by what he said. We came a Whisker from exchangeing Blow's. I'm glad that I didn't get the deal anyway, cause all I needed to do is wait and make more call's. I really wanted a V6 for the Towing, as I have a Small Tractor that I have to haul on my utility trailer sometime's.

I used the Nissan Web site to check the Dealer lot's to see who had the Truck that I wanted an SVV6 2wd AT KC in White. I found the Truck about 145 mile's away in another state, but they wouldn't take my offer. Then I found the truck I wanted at a Dealer about 25 mile's from the Dealer that wouldn't take my offer. I made my offer but they declined and then about 2 or 3 week's later they called me and said come get it. when I got there it had just been sold, but they went to the other dealer and got the Truck that that Dealer wouldn't take my offer. The Sales Lady went and picked up the truck and drove it to their Dealership and We concluded the Sale.

Be sure to check out TrueCar.com; Punch in the truck that you want and then see what the lowest price paid was. If they can get the truck for that price then You can too,, but you have to be patient and keep trying.

So it happen's to a lot of us, but it pay's to just be patient and keep at it. Don't settle for a Truck that you don't really feel comfortable buying, just be patient and keep trying for the Truck that you Really Want. The price's of the Truck's now are sky high and you don't want to be stuck with payment's on a Truck that you really didn't want.

If you really want the Midnight Edition that they made you the deal on and it is the Deal that you want,, I would call back and talk with the Sale's Manager and tell them your circumstance's and that you'll do what it take's to get it, but they need to work with you a little bit because you have to drive so far.

I know you really want a Black Truck,, and I'm not trying to talk you into another color,, but Black is Really Hard to See @ Night. My 1st Nissan was White and after 20 year's I'm sold on White,, but I live in the Deep South where it is Hot with High Humidity. I told them I didn't care what color it was, as long as it was White. :) Down here a Lot of People want White because they are Cooler in the Hot Summertime and they are easier to see.

Don't get discouraged and don't settle for less than you want, just be patient and stay at it. Down here the last day of the month is the best day to get a deal.

Regards,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts