Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2019 Rogue SV brand new. Over the past month or so the steering is making a rubbing noise. Dealer told me its a common issue, a design flaw and there was not a fix. Nissan Consumer Affairs told me the same thing and that maybe someday there would be a fix. Is there a fix? What should I do next? BBB?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, you're in good company.

I have a 2019 SL and my son has a 2017 SV. Both make kind of a flat squeaking noise noise when steering at low speed, like when moving out of the garage or making a sharp turn backing out of a parking spot.

When we're on the road driving past 3 or 4 miles an hour it doesn't make any noise any more.

It's mildly annoying but totally harmless. I thought of giving it a squirt of sillicone spray between the steering wheel and the housing, but have never tried it, I'm cautious to do it because of the airbag and circuit boards in the steering wheel itself. It might work, but I've decided to let it be.

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, same here took my 2019 SL. For service to the HVAC system, and mention the weir noise that the steering wheel does, is no all the time but is annoying when you pay attention to little things you expect no to hear from a brand new vehicle, was told same thing, design flaw.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,440 Posts
It's interesting that many people are reporting the same weird noise like a rubbing sound. This seems to be happening to vehicles that use the new electric power steering (EPS) system. This system eliminates the hydraulic pump driven off the engine to save on fuel. The noise could possibly originate in the EPS motor since that's the new addition to the steering system. The steering rack, tie-rod ends and the ball joints are tried-and-true components that have been used for many years so I would think they are not the source of the noise.

An easy way to maybe track the origin of the noise is jack up the front end of the vehicle; putting it on jack stands and start the engine; letting it idle and turn the steering wheel end to end while listening for noise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The sound I get is definitely right behind the steering wheel and only during low speed maneuvering. I don't think it's harmful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read this from the manual and it says the EPS system is designed to slow itself down when the steering is being turned too fast too often at slow speed to allow itself to cool down and not overheat. I guess this is a design flaw that they can’t fix but that should be the reason why the steering wheel make the sound. If you try to turn the steering wheel slower, it shouldn’t make that noise. Guess it’s a way for the car to tell you to treat it a little nicer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts