Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,670 Posts
From page 13 of the 2019 Maxima Quick-reference Guide:

"A Wi-Fi connection can be made to communicate by using an available Wi-Fi network near the vehicle or tethering function of smartphone, etc. Wi-Fi connection is useful when updating maps or for an online search. There must be a secure Wi-Fi network for the vehicle to connect."

For more info about how to use it, here's a link to the Quick-reference guide if you don't have it:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From page 13 of the 2019 Maxima Quick-reference Guide:

"A Wi-Fi connection can be made to communicate by using an available Wi-Fi network near the vehicle or tethering function of smartphone, etc. Wi-Fi connection is useful when updating maps or for an online search. There must be a secure Wi-Fi network for the vehicle to connect."

For more info about how to use it, here's a link to the Quick-reference guide if you don't have it:

Thanks for your reply. My vehicle is the base and does not have NissanConnect access and does not have Navigation built-in which is why there is no SD card slot so I was wondering why wouldn't it just be disabled as I see no other benefit.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thanks for your reply. My vehicle is the base and does not have NissanConnect access and does not have Navigation built-in which is why there is no SD card slot so I was wondering why wouldn't it just be disabled as I see no other benefit.
The primary reason for WiFi on a non-navi unit is to allow the radio firmware to self-update. If you connect the car to your home gateway, the radio (AV Unit) will download and install firmware updates automatically when available while the car is parked. That can be important when new applications arise that existing firmware may not possess or may not handle properly, such as when Apple routinely "moves the furniture" in their IOS. On navi units it will also allow routine updating of maps without buying a CD or SD card.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.