Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Rogue I have a 12 volt socket that does not appear to be working. I have to find the fuses and hope it is just that. I have attached a picture of the socket in question and another showing the inside of it. I show the inside because it does not appear to have a useful contact. I want to use that to charge my phone instead of the USB. I would prefer to avoid USB since when used frequently the connection can become unreliable. I tried a different phone charger in it and still nothing. Would anyone know if there is a different socket Nissan has I can use? I would prefer an OE part and not some janky loose and cheap feeling thing. In other words I want exact fit and NO slop. It could be the fuse too and that would likely be easier than changing that part out. I also have no idea what I would be getting myself into changing it.

All help is greatly appreciated and happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate it.

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that it might be as simple as that. I will have to take a look at them. Also when working on a part like that I take a picture first. I was a Volkswagen owner and those cars never had fuse location charts. Even worse, the fuses may be slightly different from model to model or trim level. Some Volkswagens are known to be a nightmare to work on too. I got rid of that because the market was still good with high resale prices. Some VW transmissions have valve body problems that can make them act weird or just not shift smoothly. I was one of those not always getting smooth shifts. Now with my CVT it is a thing of the past. I would have put the original post in electrical but I did not see that section. I used ctrl-f to try to locate that section and no luck.

· Registered
82 Posts
Looks like the 12v power pin is missing from the center of the socket......the outer circumference of the socket is the negative connection, but the center post (pin) for the positive power supply is missing.....maybe an optical illusion, but I don't see the power pin in your pic.....just an empty hole.

· Registered
82 Posts
I was a Volkswagen owner........Some Volkswagens are known to be a nightmare to work on.......Some VW transmissions have valve body problems
Hahahaha.......I can't say enough bad words about V Dubs.......

Why would Volkswagen use 95% plastic stuff for their cooling systems!

Why would Volkswagen design a suspension system which allows the oil pans to bang against the ground when the suspension is compressed!

Why would Volkswagen use adhesives which smell like crayons when summer temps heat up the interiors!

Why would Volkswagen use faulty mounts on the top of the struts for decades!

Why would Volkswagen use plastic end-links for the sway bars knowing the plastic flexes and breaks over time!

Why would Volkswagen use a dot matrix information center when dot matrix pixels are affected by heat!

Why would Volkswagen use oil and coolant in their turbo charged engine when this coolant comes directly from the heated engine rather than coming directly from the radiator and oil cooler housings!

Geez, I could go on & on about Volkswagen junk. I've owned so many of these crap cars.....I'm only holding on to my manual trans ALH TDI powered 4Motion Jetta wagon imported from Canada.....kill all the other V Dubs!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the 12v power pin is missing from the center of the socket......the outer circumference of the socket is the negative connection, but the center post (pin) for the positive power supply is missing.....maybe an optical illusion, but I don't see the power pin in your pic.....just an empty hole.
I suspect that the pin may be missing. I should stop by a dealer. They might sell me a new socket or at least confirm that the socket is bad. This was my mother's vehicle but she never used that socket for anything or I would have known sooner. She may have been the second owner. I find it nice having gotten a vehicle which most of the maintenance history is known by me. It especially helpful since I would not want a CVT if it had high mileage and no fluid change records of any sort. When it comes to transmission problems, I shudder to think of them!! About that pin I may just stick an electrical tester in the socket and see if it even works. It probably just doesn't make good enough contact.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got around to checking the fuses and there was a blown 20 amp, just one of these tiny little things. The Nissan dealer said that the inside of the sockets are all that way. I guess I will know that for sure once I replace the fuse. I continuity tested it with a multimeter just to make sure it really is bad.

Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Grass

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It turns out the socket is fine really and it was just a blown fuse. There is one annoyance with where the fuses are. I dropped it down into "the void" never to be seen again. Luckily for me I still had an extra one. The one I lost is probably down in the under the trim near the foot rest. I am thinking getting it back may be more trouble than it is worth. At first I did think there was something wrong with the socket but that would be rare really.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts