Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Folks,

I have a situation. My Frontier has 55564 miles and the rear axle seal brake and leaked on the entire rear brake assembly. I brought it into the dealership. The tech told me that its part of the drive train system and should be covered under warranty. When I went to get the vehicle the other day, the Service Advisor is telling me that the component is not covered and I owe XX amount of $. Can someone tell me if the component that makes up the rear axle of the vehicle is part of the drive train or is that only the transmission and engine only? I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

Will-!-Am

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,222 Posts
Brake pads/rotors generally are not covered by the factory warranty. However the failed seal should be covered.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Auto makers have been pulling this kind of crap since the beginning of time. Your pads are most definitely ruined, and the entire brake assembly will have to be cleaned up.....but nooooooo, that ain't covered even though the axle seal is the point of fail.

I had a 76 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Was driving down the road at about 35 mph. All of sudden, front passenger wheel locks up and proceeds to tear itself off the car....as in severed! Car was still under warranty. Dealer says only the axel and bearings were covered. Everything else was on my dime. Long story short....I was quite young, and at A school (Memphis) for the Navy. I don't know what she said (I'm sure it was anything but polite and pretty), but my mom ripped that dealership a new one. They fixed it all for $0 - and even delivered the car to me. So much for their limited warranty crap.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,917 Posts
Axle is part of the drivetrain. You may want to call the Nissan customer service hotline for better clarification of your warranty, @ 1-800-NISSAN-1. There were issues with the seal failing on the rear axle of the M226 rear axle used on some of the Frontiers due to the axle bearing failing, but I though that was fixed by 2017.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Axle is part of the drivetrain. You may want to call the Nissan customer service hotline for better clarification of your warranty, @ 1-800-NISSAN-1. There were issues with the seal failing on the rear axle of the M226 rear axle used on some of the Frontiers due to the axle bearing failing, but I though that was fixed by 2017.
It's been a couple months since I've been under mine (2005)...and I do recall seeing some oiliness near the passenger rear wheel. While I have 246k - I am curious about the bearing fail you mention. Would you expand on that point so i can better understand if I have an eminent fail fixing to happen? Thanks!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,222 Posts
It's been a couple months since I've been under mine (2005)...and I do recall seeing some oiliness near the passenger rear wheel. While I have 246k - I am curious about the bearing fail you mention. Would you expand on that point so i can better understand if I have an eminent fail fixing to happen? Thanks!
Here's a picture of the rear axle assembly. Look at #12 the axle oil seal; that is the one we're talking about. The axle bearing #6 has it's own seal.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Netxtown,

Alway's check that you have oil in the Real Axle. Easy to do by takeing out the Fill Plug and checking with your finger. Especially important to do and more frequently when you have a Leak. No Oil Burned Up Bearing and Easily much more damage as easy to get Cherry Red Hot.

I would say most people are Guilty of Not Checking the Oil Level in the Rear Axle, when they do routine service, but it's real easy to do, as long as you have the correct Plug removal tool.

Another Item that need's serviceing is the Rear Axle Vent Valve. It need's to be checked @ every Engine Service Interval and also need's to be taken out, Cleaned with Diesel Fuel, Blown Out with YOUR Air Compressor to make sure it is Free Flowing, depending on Road's traveled on about Once a Year. If useing your Truck on the Farm,, then it probly need's to be cleaned more often. It's not in YOUR Maintenance Manual of thing's to Service,, but they can clog up with Rust, Dirt Dobber's, Dirt and Mud Accumulation, etc. If the Vent is allowed to get Plugged then Pressure can build up in the Rear Axle causeing the Oil Seal to Start Leaking and thing's start going down hill from there, unless repaired.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,917 Posts
Here's the TSB download. Only applies if you have the Dana M226 rear, which was on V6 models with a manual trans or the Off road package, if I remember correctly. TSB calls for replacing the whole axle, but I've heard of people just replacing the bearing and seals.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts