Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some help to solve a problem. My Xtrail T32 has no power, when I hit the start/stop the car will not start. Interior lights are working, radio works, alarm works and doors are opening with the key fob okay. When I hit the start/stop, there in no noise, not even an attempt to start or a display on the dash its like its totally dead. The strange thing is the boot also does not open and I cannot release the hand break.
I have checked fuses all seem okay, any expert advice would be welcomed?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,479 Posts
Your battery may be run down. During starting, a good car battery voltage should be 10v or higher. The voltage when the car is running, should be in the range of 13.5-14.7 V; if it's down in the range of 12v, the alternator is not doing it's job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your battery may be run down. During starting, a good car battery voltage should be 10v or higher. The voltage when the car is running, should be in the range of 13.5-14.7 V; if it's down in the range of 12v, the alternator is not doing it's job.
If its the alternator would you have any power in the car? I still have interior lights, hazards work but no life on the dash.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,479 Posts
Purchased a new start/stop battery and the problem is still the same. if its the alternator would you have any power in the car? I still have interior lights, hazards work but no life on the dash.
The alternator may not be totally dead but it may not be putting out full power in order to fully charge the battery. If that's the case, then the other lights will work fine but the high amperage requirement to start the engine won't be there.

To verify this, do the following test first to get the obvious out of the way. Use a multimeter to measure voltages: During starting, a good car battery voltage should be 10v or higher. The voltage when the car is running, should be in the range of 13.5-14.7 V; if it's down in the range of 12v, the alternator is not doing it's job. If the test checks out OK, then you may have a bad starter solenoid.
There's a small wire connection to the solenoid. There should be 12V at that connection during engine startup; if indeed there is 12V there, then the solenoid is bad. If there is no voltage, then you'll have to trouble-shoot the circuit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine just happened this morning, yesterday it was running fine. I ran a multimeter over the battery and its showing 12.4v. I tried both key fobs and its the same issue. Radio works, doors lock and unlock, interior lights come on and the power boot lid doesnt work at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine just happened this morning, yesterday it was running fine. I ran a multimeter over the battery and its showing 12.4v. I tried both key fobs and its the same issue. Radio works, doors lock and unlock, interior lights come on and the power boot lid doesnt work at all.
Exactly same as mine !! WOW

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've spent the day trying to find out if anyone else has had the issue reading different forum sites but it doesnt seem to be common or at least I havent found anyone else

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My car was running perfectly well prior to this, I had no early warning signs. Just died, like someone switching it off. Its in Nissan the now, there is no other option as Nissan need to determine the fault

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The crazy thing is, they cannot move the car as the handbrake is locked, they had to take it away on a lorry. They also cannot read the fault as the computer does not have any power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Contact Nissan UK, i have just put in case with them requesting help as this is a major fault in the car. The quicker you do this the better.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts