Nissan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to tell my story about my 2016 pathfinder sv when I bought it had 62,000 miles on it and the dealership said they put a aftermarket cooling fan in it because they thought the module was bad this is where it mostly begins and I hope it will help you also . I first bought my pathfinder and 3 days later we took it on vacation over 350 miles away it was fine all the way down and the 2nd night we were outside idleing waiting for our food with the rear ac on and it started blowing hot air and I looked down and my temp gauge was in the red I immediately shut it off . We let it cool down and drove to our hotel 2 minutes away and let it sit and went out in the morning to check it out and coolant all over and hardly any in it , short story no one could get us in and there was 1 place that had our blue coolant we checked oil and everything it didn’t get into anything we put antifreeze in it and monitored it and we’re good to go . The next 2 days worked beautiful went thru drive thru with our rear ac next thing I knew it started blowing warm and temperature started rising fast I hurried and turned it off . We checked everything over and I got it shut off in time . Fast forward to 2 days later the dealership I bought it from has me drop it off at this shop he uses . A week went by the put a thermostat in and let it idle it kept over heating . They said they did tests on it to make sure the heads weren’t warped but a week and a half later went by and no progress they said the next step was going in the engine . Which thankfully we both agreed no let’s take it to Nissan or this other well known mechanic . So next step the mechanic found the cooling fans were on all the time and the thermostat was bad from overheating with the other garage . The new mechanic said oe in Nissan they got a oe thermostat and a used cooling fan from Nissan because the after market wasn’t working correctly after him doing all his tests he was stuck on why are the fans staying on at all times . I ended up coming on here the forum and finding 1 other person with the same exact issue they said check the ipdm because they burn out . The mechanic looked more into it and found where I saw the person said that and he followed the wires and sure as shit the wires were melted and the ipdm board was bad so he changed that and he did more tests and I got to take it home after 6 weeks . After 2 weeks of driving my fans starting making a train noise it was horrible i was like oh god they sound like they were going to fly off , I ended up taking it to my local mechanic and he says my cooling fans are bad . The used ones were bad already … thankfully I have extended warranty and I told them no after market I only want oe and my mechanic backed me up on that and I have been driving it over a month now and it is running perfect !! I hope this helps someone !!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The way the fans on the R52 Pathy ('13~'21) are arranged, loading on the nose bearing (the one closest to the blades) is extremely heavy and can cause premature failure. The "freight train" noise you describe is common, as are "clacking" noises. The A/C fan was probably the one causing your overheating, since it happened both times when you were using the rear climate control. With the gauge climbing into the red twice, you're quite lucky it didn't pop a head gasket!

You made the right choice going with the OE fans. Reputable aftermarket units like TYC are usually okay too, but the good ones aren't much cheaper than OE. Good motors with good bearings simply aren't cheap, and the aforementioned front loading makes it more critical on R52's than on other models. China-cheap fans are almost certain to let you down, and used fans are a very bad idea.

Glad you got it straightened away, and I'm sure your story will benefit others. Thanks, and happy motoring!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts