Nissan Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,272 Posts
Ok the crank sensor extension was a bad idea. lol

Shes all in and plugged up. Found a few things unplugged and got most the lights off.

Now chasing down a random misfire. I noticed I may have swapped the cam sensors, but that shouldnt do it. I have a permanent code for p1148 which is the o2 sensor in the manifold. I have since connected it and am trying to clear the permanent code to no avail.
Can you swap a spare ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah I have a box with an extra of everything. Huge bonus to the junkyard motor. I just don't have a place to start. I don't have any codes for sensors unfortunately.

I sprayed some starting fluid around looking for leaks. I just flushed it and am going to see if the water still looks oily after running. Then take the intake back off and check every plug and wire. Then compression I guess.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Yeah I have a box with an extra of everything. Huge bonus to the junkyard motor. I just don't have a place to start. I don't have any codes for sensors unfortunately.

I sprayed some starting fluid around looking for leaks. I just flushed it and am going to see if the water still looks oily after running. Then take the intake back off and check every plug and wire. Then compression I guess.
I also checked your code, and yes replace the O2 sensor. I have had heater fail and another with reading go out . Yours sounds like what mine did with bad heater

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,366 Posts
Ok the crank sensor extension was a bad idea. lol

Shes all in and plugged up. Found a few things unplugged and got most the lights off.

Now chasing down a random misfire. I noticed I may have swapped the cam sensors, but that shouldnt do it. I have a permanent code for p1148 which is the o2 sensor in the manifold. I have since connected it and am trying to clear the permanent code to no avail.
Permanent DTC's will be erasable after a "B" driving pattern for 2 trips. Here's the "B" requirements from the manual:

DRIVING PATTERN B
Driving pattern B means a trip satisfying the following conditions.
• Engine speed reaches 400 rpm or more.
• Engine coolant temperature reaches 70°C (158°F) or more.
• Vehicle speed of 70 – 120 km/h (44 – 75 MPH) is maintained for 60 seconds or more under the control of closed loop.
• Vehicle speed of 30 – 60 km/h (19 – 37 MPH) is maintained for 10 seconds or more under the control of closed loop.
• Under the closed loop control condition, the following state reaches 12 seconds or more in total: Vehicle speed of 4 km/h (2 MPH) or less with idling condition.
• The state of driving at 10 km/h (7 MPH) or more reaches 10 minutes or more in total.
• A lapse of 22 minutes or more after engine start.
NOTE:
• Drive the vehicle at a constant velocity.
• When the same malfunction is detected regardless of driving conditions, reset the counter of driving pattern B.
• When the above conditions are satisfied without detecting the same malfunction, reset the counter of driving pattern B.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Permanent DTC's will be erasable after a "B" driving pattern for 2 trips. Here's the "B" requirements from the manual:

DRIVING PATTERN B
Driving pattern B means a trip satisfying the following conditions.
• Engine speed reaches 400 rpm or more.
• Engine coolant temperature reaches 70°C (158°F) or more.
• Vehicle speed of 70 – 120 km/h (44 – 75 MPH) is maintained for 60 seconds or more under the control of closed loop.
• Vehicle speed of 30 – 60 km/h (19 – 37 MPH) is maintained for 10 seconds or more under the control of closed loop.
• Under the closed loop control condition, the following state reaches 12 seconds or more in total: Vehicle speed of 4 km/h (2 MPH) or less with idling condition.
• The state of driving at 10 km/h (7 MPH) or more reaches 10 minutes or more in total.
• A lapse of 22 minutes or more after engine start.
NOTE:
• Drive the vehicle at a constant velocity.
• When the same malfunction is detected regardless of driving conditions, reset the counter of driving pattern B.
• When the above conditions are satisfied without detecting the same malfunction, reset the counter of driving pattern B.
OK so that is what those are. I finally unplugged the o2 sensor to see what happened and realized they were sticking in there.

Saved for my when I really need that. Thank you.

I had a book on my computer at one point. I realized recently I am doing this whole thing without one.

I found an injector unplugged. It cleaned up some. I am going to take a better look at the harness connector there. I remember thinking it was fun plugging all those in. Apparently I didn't fully click them in.

I am out of practive. I haven't done much since I bought this car 5 years ago. My mechanic just moved. SMH

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
OK so that is what those are. I finally unplugged the o2 sensor to see what happened and realized they were sticking in there.

Saved for my when I really need that. Thank you.

I had a book on my computer at one point. I realized recently I am doing this whole thing without one.

I found an injector unplugged. It cleaned up some. I am going to take a better look at the harness connector there. I remember thinking it was fun plugging all those in. Apparently I didn't fully click them in.

I am out of practive. I haven't done much since I bought this car 5 years ago. My mechanic just moved. SMH
I had plug not quite clicked in, running rough.
Buggered cat, hope yours is ok

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok well final post or news for this one. Its done. Back up to 39.5 mpg.

I kept getting a random misfire at the end. Also an air fuel mixture code P117A. I had a leaky injector on #2 and a coil pack out of spec. I took it by my buddies shop for the last round of dianosis. Well worth it. Pretty much how it usually goes for me.

Back on here trying to remember how to bleed the clutch. My girlfriend is tired of pumping.

Thank you all for the tips and support. My versa is ready to go for another 200k miles.

Last thoughts if you are thinking about doing this, its fun, its light and easy work on a little car. There is less info out there than I was used to. Some aftermarket hoses don't quite fit. Its kind of a throw away car so expect a lot of unusual looks when you tell people what you are doing. I spent about $1200 on a junkyard motor and replacing EVERYTHING so I will be trouble free.

I will post some pics of the motor and tear down after.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Ok well final post or news for this one. Its done. Back up to 39.5 mpg.

I kept getting a random misfire at the end. Also an air fuel mixture code P117A. I had a leaky injector on #2 and a coil pack out of spec. I took it by my buddies shop for the last round of dianosis. Well worth it. Pretty much how it usually goes for me.

Back on here trying to remember how to bleed the clutch. My girlfriend is tired of pumping.

Thank you all for the tips and support. My versa is ready to go for another 200k miles.

Last thoughts if you are thinking about doing this, its fun, its light and easy work on a little car. There is less info out there than I was used to. Some aftermarket hoses don't quite fit. Its kind of a throw away car so expect a lot of unusual looks when you tell people what you are doing. I spent about $1200 on a junkyard motor and replacing EVERYTHING so I will be trouble free.

I will post some pics of the motor and tear down after.
Sorry for the quote, it happens even when I hit reply on phone.
Anyway I am impressed. I have done what I have to and left rest. My early cars were 1954 and 1964 English and nothing his lasted very long !
You say 1200 for motor, do you have a total for motor and all associated parts ?
Once I came to the usa I had 71 and 74 V8 I worked on, rings, pistons cam chaines, valve guides and seals etc. (Dont mention the Honda CVCC)
Good luck !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorry for the quote, it happens even when I hit reply on phone.
Anyway I am impressed. I have done what I have to and left rest. My early cars were 1954 and 1964 English and nothing his lasted very long !
You say 1200 for motor, do you have a total for motor and all associated parts ?
Once I came to the usa I had 71 and 74 V8 I worked on, rings, pistons cam chaines, valve guides and seals etc. (Dont mention the Honda CVCC)
Good luck !
I have the opposite problem, I struggle to quote.

Yeah I have patched a lot of things back together as well. But being my daily driver I just want it trouble-free.

So I spent 1200 total. The motor was $150. Honestly the most expensive was all the hoses, and I am still missing one. Once I get it I am going to do a good flush and change it.

My mechanic buddy told me after all this, that sometimes a stretched timing chain can cause low compression in these things. But, the parts were more than $150. And I also burnt tons of oil and blow by was the worst I have ever seen. I can't wait to take it apart and check out the rings. The chain does have a little slack.

If these motors are available in 5 more years I may do it again. ALthough I don't drive like I used to

21 - 29 of 29 Posts