Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 months after I purchased my 2014 Rogue SL brand new off the lot I noticed water pooled in the carpet underneath the Driver's Seat. I sucked up about 1.5 Gallons with the Wet/Dry and then took the vehicle into the dealer the next day they were open. I also noticed that the carpet was wet behind the gas pedal so that may have been where the water was getting in, or at least, travelling through on it's way to the area under the driver's seat.

I would not have noticed this if I had not decided to quickly clean the carpet underneath the driver's seat.

Previous to the water being noticed on the carpet under the seat I had noticed "fog" on the inside of the windshield once and awhile but shrugged it off - in Hindsight that was a signal something was wrong because it was in the middle of one of the driest summers we have had in years.

When I took it to the dealership they investigated, confirmed that there was indeed a water leak, and kept the vehicle for 2.5 days while they did repairs.

The determined that a "SYNTHETIC FACTORY WELD" had been missed and that was the cause of the water leaking into the vehicle.

They had to remove the inner fender liner on the driver side of the vehicle and who knows what else to Silicon the areas where the "SYNTHETIC FACTORY WELD" was missed and then they had to remove the driver seat and pull up the carpet and under lay to dry it all out.

So, a couple of months later, and I am back to square one, lots of water on the windshield and the sun roof glass, we had several days of very heavy rain followed by clear, sunny days so the moisture has evaporated in the car and then reformed on the glass.

So, this time I took pictures and emailed them to the dealership and am waiting for them to decide what they are going to do. They did thank me for sending them pictures of the moisture on the glass,and so far, have been great to deal with.

Anyways, one of the things discussed last time I had this problem was completely removing the Dash to get at the area where the leak might be, so I guess that is what they will want to do this time.

I have told them that I am not keen to have them do that because they will never get everything put back in as tight has it is installed in the factory.

They have already said they don't want to replace the carpet because it never goes in as good as the factory install.

I don't know yet where this will lead but I wanted to share it here because if they missed a "Synthetic Factory Weld" in my vehicle there are other vehicles out there as well where the weld was missed.

So check your 2014 Rogue to make sure you don't have wet carpets or water on the windshield or sun roof with no idea how it got there.

I leave the cloth cover pulled back on my sun roof now so the moisture does not gather there without me seeing it.

I have also been in touch with Nissan Corporate about this.

And I also have the Weathertech Floor Mats so it is not like there is water dripping off of my shoes and going into the carpet, the mats catch everything and I never leave standing water sitting in the mats anyways.

My Rogue is the Canadian Model with 3080 KM on it if that helps anyone and the last 6 digits of the VIN are 840325.

If you have had this problem, or are experiencing it, you are not alone and I would really like to hear from you.

Thanks

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,489 Posts
More important than the carpet is the jute padding underneath it. If it gets soaked with water, it's almost impossible to dry out. With the moisture still in the jute pad, you will continue to get condensation problems and worse, start to develop rust and/or corrosion on the floor pans. Carpets come pre-molded. I've replaced them before in Nissans and as long as you take everything out of the cabin, they'll fit just fine. I would insist on new carpeting and underpad and if the can't fix it the next time, I would ask them to take it back in trade and give you a good deal on a new one.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Does not sound like the problem is behind the inner fender liner. That would require water to be coming off your wheels, spraying upwards and somehow getting behind the firewall into your cabin.
And what the heck is a synthetic factory weld-- when I google the term this post is the fourth result and the others have nothing to do with cars.
In most cars what you describe is linked to a defective sunroof seal, or a blocked or disconnected sunroof drain tube. Otherwise my guess is that its a defective seal somewhere around the base of your windshield. Clearly their silicone did not resolve the problem. They are probably right that a weld was missed, but that is a further problem they uncovered rather than the source of your initial complaint. In any case why would they use silicone as opposed to doing a proper weld, especially if its a zone that gets a severe soaking.
1.5 gallons is almost a bucket full of water in your floorboards.

If you leased the car, well it will be some poor suckers problem in five or six years when the floorboard rusts out as has happened to many a Nissan model. You can search this forum for examples. If you bought it and plan on keeping it past the time you have finally payed it off you will eventually have some serious repair costs not to mention a safety issue.

I think smj is right is right about having them take it back and getting a new one. Let them fix it and resell it. I do not know the procedure for our lemon laws here in Canada, but in your shoes I check into them...

If there is nothing to be done on that front, and its not related to the sunroof drain, you will have to have them take apart your dash, and so you may as well have them replace the carpet. Its winter now, if there is still moisture there its not going to fully dry off.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When you say Nissan Corporate, are you talking about Customer Assistance? If so, write a real, paper letter to the CEO for Nissan Canada. You will get a response.
Regardless of the cause, this is unacceptable.
Back in 1972 I had a Dodge Challenger where the seal for the air conditioning unit was defective. Part of the unit sat under the dash on passenger side even though it was a factory unit. They tried to patch it with silicone, but to no avail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, new to the forum and to nissan as well. I just bought my wife a brand new 2015 rogue that's only two weeks old now. It does not have a sun roof and and we are experiencing the exact same problem as you. There is water under the drivers seat. I too noticed there was an issue the same morning when there was moisture on the inside of the windshield but I just brushed it off at the moment. That last night I was reaching for the spare battery of my phone that fell out of my pocket and under the seat when I realized there was an inch of water under the seat. I was already scheduled to take it to the dealer tomorrow for some paint that is chipping off of the bumper but I'm going to take it now for the water issue. They will have to give me a courtesy vehicle until this get resolved. I'll post on here what the resolve turns out to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 Roque I purchased about a year. Noticed moisture in drivers side floor couple months after buying it, but didn't think much about it. Also noticed rust on seat brackets and condensation on windows/sunroof frequently.
Though 2 days ago, had the roque parked on an incline (rear higher then front) and after a day, found 1-2 inches of water in drivers side feet area.
Windows not left down, sunroof not leaking or open.
I think I am screwed as I have no warranty on the vehicle :-(.
I plan on taking it to Nissan dealership, but from the sound of it, they will charge me to fix it and really not know what is causing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to Nissan family

I brought my brand new 2014 Nissan Rough in 2015. It has been 5th month from the date that I purchased. I just notice there is a pool of water underneath of driver side this morning and it was still dripping. Since it is a water, I didn't take it serious. However, it drips all the way on my way home tonight. I don't think this is a minor problem. Google the problem and find this forum. Looks like this is common problem on Rough. :-( Not impressed!!
I will take it back to dealership. Hopefully it is covered by warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago or so, but didn't think anything of it. But it rained again yesterday and I noticed my floorboard is soaking wet again. Was this issue covered by the warranty?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rogue leak in 2011 model

I have the same issue with my Rogue. Turns out there is tubing running from the top of the sunroof down each side of the car that empty's any water out somewhere under or behind the wheel well. IF these get clogged, then the water backs up and pools inside the car. I had my tubes replaced in December 2015, and had the mechanic drill the holes a little larger so it was easier for the water to escape. Dirt and tree sap can clog these tubes. Unfortunately, this did not solve the whole problem. Weeks later, the carpet was damp again, so I had to bring it back in. Turns out that the liner under the carpet was holding moisture and every time the temperature outside rose, the insulation would "sweat" causing more dampness. So they wanted to replace each piece under the driverside, passenger, and both back seat pieces. These pieces cost about $86 per sheet. Well, I've alread spent about $400 for the tube replacement and I feel they should have handled the drying out of the insulation under the carpet at that time, cuz now it's too late. I also waited too long to realize they had in fact not ordered the replacements (after being told they had been ordered), and now the lining is mildewed and my car totally stinks. Moisture is inside everytime the temp rises. (Louisiana). They want another $800 for the parts and labor (almost 5hrs) to go back and replace the liners. Im beyond frustrated!! All of this, in my opinion, is a "manufacture defect" and not an "owner defect". All they have to do is read some of these blogs and other entries on the web to realize that this is a problem with design that needs to be addressed. I"ve only ever owned Nissan's (five of them), and this will be my last one!! Now if I can just find some place to trade this thing in!! PS - THIS IS NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello this is , I have a 2013 Nissan Rogue with the same problem as you Princessdevo. I went to the dealer after hearing slushing noises under the passenger side chair, they told me it was the tubing running from the sunroof down under the car that drains the water had clogged up with leaves. They drained it and told me that they would do it this one time for free, even though I have a powertrain warranty. They warned the next time it would cost me and that I shouldn't park near trees, seriously how are you supposed to avoid parking near trees! Anyways it has clogged up again just within 2 months of having it drained, except this time the co-pilot side floor is very wet and the condensation on the windshield is worse. I agree with you Princessdevo, after reading so many forums about problems similar to mine, I also think that this is a design flaw and not a customers fault. Firstly The tubing should not be able to clog up so easily, second their should be some way to stop the build up of water if the tubing fails, third something minsiscule like the tubing failing shouldn't, but could easily lead to bigger problems like mold/mildew in the car leading to an expensive re-carpeting job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings All,
My wife has had her 2015 Rogue for a couple of years now, and suddenly it has developed a water leak on the passenger side. Since it is the rainy season here in sunny FLA, it rains hard several times a week. A month or so ago, we encountered the first leak. Like everyone in this thread stated, they thought the window might have been down a bit letting water in.

I took the car to a dealership, thinking it was a leak in the sunroof seals. The dealer tells me that the sunroof drains are clogged, and they fixed it, but charged me a bit for the service since they said it was not a warranty issue. Well, after two or three weeks it seems that the leak is persisting.

Might there be someone that can point me to a link as to where to find these drains? I really don't have an issue with taking the seat out (third time's the charm), and drying out the carpet (I popped the body plugs to keep it from getting too swampy in there.

Any assistance, finger pointing or ridicule in general is greatly appreciated.

Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, how'd it turn out with you? Would love to know! This week, my wife took our 2014 Rogue SL AWD in because there was a leak seemingly coming in from the closed sunroof, dripping onto my wife. The car's been at the service center for two days already, and I was just told that there was a massive clog in the drainage of the sunroof that, seemingly, caused a huge pool of water to collect under the front passenger seat. We hardly even open the sunroof and, whenever we do, are maniacal about making sure it's closed when we exit the car. We've never left it or any of the windows open in the rain. In any case, the Nissan dealer had to remove the sunroof, remove the headliner, remove all the seats, remove all the carpeting, and are even doing things with the dash. It seems as though this is not an isolated problem. However, I hope Nissan doesn't try to charge us for this since it looks like it's a factory flaw/issue. Has anyone else heard anything else about this? Please advise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I brought my brand new 2014 Nissan Rough in 2015. It has been 5th month from the date that I purchased. I just notice there is a pool of water underneath of driver side this morning and it was still dripping. Since it is a water, I didn't take it serious. However, it drips all the way on my way home tonight. I don't think this is a minor problem. Google the problem and find this forum. Looks like this is common problem on Rough. :-( Not impressed!!
I will take it back to dealership. Hopefully it is covered by warranty.
hello, just read your message about your Rogue. Did your problem ever get resolved to your satisfaction? Please respond. We just purchased the 2016 and 4 weeks old and having the same problem! Very upset!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, how'd it turn out with you? Would love to know! This week, my wife took our 2014 Rogue SL AWD in because there was a leak seemingly coming in from the closed sunroof, dripping onto my wife. The car's been at the service center for two days already, and I was just told that there was a massive clog in the drainage of the sunroof that, seemingly, caused a huge pool of water to collect under the front passenger seat. We hardly even open the sunroof and, whenever we do, are maniacal about making sure it's closed when we exit the car. We've never left it or any of the windows open in the rain. In any case, the Nissan dealer had to remove the sunroof, remove the headliner, remove all the seats, remove all the carpeting, and are even doing things with the dash. It seems as though this is not an isolated problem. However, I hope Nissan doesn't try to charge us for this since it looks like it's a factory flaw/issue. Has anyone else heard anything else about this? Please advise.
Hello, did your problem with your Rogue ever get resolved? We just purchased the 2016 and 4 weeks old and having the exact problem. Would really like to know if your problem got fixed or did you get another car?!?! thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I'm also having problems with water in my 2014 Rogue SL AWD.

Except...this is the THIRD water problem I've had since buying the car brand new in June 2014.

First problem was around November 2014. Driver side floor, under driver seat, and rear driver side back floor was all soaked. I took it back to the dealership I purchased it from and they had it for about 30 days. They had one of the Rogue designers from Nissan Corporate come out and help with the problem. They removed and replaced all the carpet, and had stripped my car down to the frame basically. The issue, the FIRST time, was with the 'boot' for the steering column, which had not been installed at the factory.

Everything had seemed fine and good until about a month or two ago, winter 2017/2018.

I had noticed fog on the inside of the windshield (and because of the previous issue I knew there was water somewhere). Because I'm in Michigan, there were mornings where there was actually frost on the inside of my windshield. I was able to take it in for the SECOND time for water issues late February 2018. There was a warm period where my floor wasn't 'frozen' and the carpet was completely soaked. The dealership said the issue was fixed, but they could not find the source of where the water was coming from. They said they ran a hose over my car for about four hours and nothing was coming in, not in a visible place that is. It took days to dry the car out. They said they sealed up some areas under the carpet that could be causing the leak. The problem, however, was/is that the water is seeping UP from the floor. I got my car back last week sometime and everything was dry and appeared fine.

Until today.

I can actually hear the water sloshing around in the floor - whatever the steel thing is on the underside, directly below the driver side is where I believe the water is sitting. Next to this 'basin' area, there is another steel housing unit that has, what looks to be, a pipe/drainage coming out of it (I can see water dripping, sometimes more than a drip, from here as well). I'm not a car expert so I don't know the exact parts, so forgive me. It sounds like A LOT of water, but that could be because its trapped in a small area...I don't know. Anyway, you can pound on the front and rear driver side floor and get water to come up. Under the driver seat is soaked...again. It's like the water is not able to drain properly and just collects. I'm waiting on the same dealership to call me back to make an appointment, for when they have a loaner car available.

Once is too much for a water problem, but THREE problems of the same nature is EXCESSIVE. I don't believe my car would be covered under Michigan's lemon law, because not all of this happened within the first year.

I don't know what, if any, type of recourse there would be, but there is a serious problem with water problems that Nissan is not addressing. Has anyone had any luck contacting Nissan Corporate about water problems, and would it even be worth my time to do so?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts