Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Have a mysterious noise in front end a sound going over rough road. We have replaced lower control Arms, struts, sway bar bushing. Brakes are all new. Seems to be right under the floor boards where your feet would rest. I rechecked and retorqued top strut mount bolts still making noise. Help lol

·
Registered
367 Posts
First question, does it make the noise when both wheels are compressed (i.e., speed bumps) or only when one wheel is compressed? If you DIY'd the sway bar bushings, did you check that the locator rings on the bar weren't slipped? It only takes 1/4" or so of slop to make the bar noisy. The rings should pretty much be right up against the bushings on both sides. If they aren't, the bar will move side-to-side over 1-wheel bumps with an audible "slap". The rings are press-fitted because welding would weaken the bar and compromise its spring properties (bad, because it's basically just a giant torsion-spring). Slipping is common. Here's a link to a pic showing what I mean:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First question, does it make the noise when both wheels are compressed (i.e., speed bumps) or only when one wheel is compressed? If you DIY'd the sway bar bushings, did you check that the locator rings on the bar weren't slipped? It only takes 1/4" or so of slop to make the bar noisy. The rings should pretty much be right up against the bushings on both sides. If they aren't, the bar will move side-to-side over 1-wheel bumps with an audible "slap". The rings are press-fitted because welding would weaken the bar and compromise its spring properties (bad, because it's basically just a giant torsion-spring). Slipping is common. Here's a link to a pic showing what I mean:

I will check that out. The work was done by two different mechanics shops and they can’t figure out. Answer to question is the rattle in front end would be both tires compressed on washboard road or passing over the tar marks on a highway. Our streets are terrible right now zero snow removal and rough as hell.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If it's both wheels then it won't be the sway bar, the bar only does work when one wheel is compressed but the other isn't. When both are compressed the links move up and down together. Could still be a loose link or link-bolt. Check all 4 subframe bolts and the subframe gusset bolts, the rear ones are pretty much right under your feet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts