Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am looking to change the brakes on a 2013 Altima, and looking into getting OEM parts. I am having trouble understanding if I need the additional hardware kit, where most brake pad sets come with this. Particularly the metal plate that the pads slide back and forth on. Spring clips I think they're called. Looking at some of the oem part stores online for Nissan, I see a hardware kit sold separately for $60 bucks an axle, $120 more for both axles (yikes!). The hardware kit seems to come with some additional plates too:

When I asked the dealership, they said the pads come with the hardware necessary for the brake job, but when I asked the online store, they said you had to buy it separately. Generally most of the online stores ship from dealerships I believe, and charge shipping. So I don't want to order something I don't need and have to pay to ship it back. I intent to order from the online store as they're much cheaper than the dealership. I know they have some advantage replacement parts as a sub to the OEM. I told the parts guy at the dealership I was looking into the OEM pads, but maybe he was looking at the advantage part and those come with?

So I am am wondering if the response I am getting from the online store was just a general response without much legwork, and because they sell the hardware kit separately as well, they are just responding based off of looking at the part list.

Can anyone let me know who's recently ordered OEM brake pads if the kit does contain all the hardware neccessary?

Thank you.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,874 Posts
I would highly recommend buying AKEBONO brake pads; excellent stopping power and are very quiet. AKEBONO is a Nissan OEM supplier. You can buy them from RockAuto.com

Most brake pad sets do not come with a disk brake hardware kit.

You can buy a disk brake hardware kit from RockAuto.com that has everything you need for your brake job; they average around $6 for a wheel pair:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would highly recommend buying AKEBONO brake pads; excellent stopping power and are very quiet. AKEBONO is a Nissan OEM supplier. You can buy them from RockAuto.com

Most brake pad sets do not come with a disk brake hardware kit.

You can buy a disk brake hardware kit from RockAuto.com that has everything you need for your brake job; they average around $6 for a wheel pair:

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into Akebono pads.

That's interesting. I've done a lot of brake jobs on my Chevy's and most recently a Hyundai, and everything I needed always came with the pads. First time for me having to buy the hardware, especially at the price Nissan is asking.

Are there any cons to buying aftermarket hardware? I noticed the most of the kits on Rockauto do not come with the plates to go on the back of the pads, where the nissan hardware kit comes with it, and the clips..

Thanks for your response.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,874 Posts
If you buy a complete brake pad hardware kit, it may include the pads, rotors, wheel cylinders, spring clips, and slider pin seals; making it rather expensive especially from a Nissan dealer. Most of the time the associated hardware is in good condition so only the pads need replacement. RockAuto sells good quality replacement parts so there's no need for concern.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts