Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody i have a 2013 nissan altima i have never owned a nissan before but i having a problem where the low beam on it are really really dim so i put white bulb in there gained maybe a tab bit of brightness but not much, its not even safe to drive at night, if im driving on the streets with no street light i might as well drive with lights off its so bad and other people who come drive next me they are my lighing support if anybody has a solution please let me know! Thank you!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Two things happen to the '13~'18 headlights to cause night blindness without obvious hazing. One is easily fixed and the other requires replacement. You can access the bulb cavities through the wheel wells with the front of the vehicle lifted. Get or make a very small dentist mirror to inspect inside the lamps through the bulb holes. If you find peeled chrome on the reflectors, the lamps are done, replace them. Aftermarket TYC's are fine (and of course Nissan branded), but watch out for "off" brands, cheap chrome dies quickly. If the chrome looks good, then the problem is aluminum oxide accumulated on the inside of the focuser lens. Make a cleaning swab about 6" long from cotton balls and a stick of your choice, basically any sort of oversized Q-tip. Douse the end with alcohol and swab the inside of the lens. This problem occurs because the chrome isn't really chrome, it's basically electro-deposited tinfoil. Heat from the bulb gradually oxidizes it and the gaseous AlOx residue deposits on the cooler surface of the focuser, eventually reflecting a large amount of the light from the bulb back into the headlight. Several good swipes with alcohol will restore about 90% of the light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts