Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2012 Nissan Rogue I'm working on for a friend. I pulled all the SI for it from shopkey, watched some videos as well and have did many other brand cv axles in my years.

Slide hammer for over 3 hours combined time. I've already went beyond the flat rate time which is some I try to stay above regardless.

So the slide hammer wouldn't bust it loose so I saw the bracket it's mounted to and felt that would help. Was that ever a wrong idea.

Problem I'm having now is I loosened the bolts for the bearing carrier bracket and then the axle came out of the cvt transmission and I still have the cv axle in the bracket and can't get the bracket out of the vehicle with and I believe without the axle attached.

Being that I did get it out of the transmission I feel I can get a torch and cut it either side of the bracket then use a ball joint portable press and a very large socket on the cv axle so it and receive the part that has the cv joint into it as I use a piece thatll fit in the inner on the inside of the axle shaft bad be able to pull it out using the press.

I can't for the life of me figure out why a air hammer, map gas torch and banging and even using over alot of excess time. May we hope that this will help us all adjust.

Any help will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks All!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disregard this post as I got my experience and suffered the wrath. After using the torch which I should did from the get go between the torch, me using a air hammer on the ground from underneath and my daughter using the slide hammer from above we got it to bust loose.

I spent the better part of a few hours using map gas initially to heat it while slide hammering it to the point my right hand was in a stuff claw position for two days.

Needless to say lesson learned. Never thought I would've needed that much heat but I did.

When I worked on semi trucks in the 90's I'd do suspensions, drivetrain, etc and never had a truck give me that much hassle but we'd get the torch going initially to make sure we didn't have issues.

Next time on a cv axle with the center hanger bearing I'll give it 5 minutes then break the torch out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts