Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago lightning stuck very near our house and took out some electronics, blew a hole in the gutter drain and cracked a foundation block. Wife's 2012 Maxima, Auto, 60K miles would not start or even turn over. The instrument cluster would power up, backup camera would come on in park, dash indicator was on for no keyfob, although the electronic entry with the fob still worked. Hooked up my OBDII meter, could not communicate with the car. Disconnected the battery, waited 15 mins, no change. Called the Nissan dealer, had it towed. A couple of days later, the dealer confirmed lightning strike, insurance adjusted has indicated that it will be totaled. The tech indicated that they could not determine the extent of the problem without replacing something (ECM maybe, I did not take the call, my wife did) I am wondering if it is worth buying it back from the ins company or not. The ins company is going to give us numbers on Monday.

My car is an '02 Altima, 5 speed (which I love), but it uses a lot of oil at 140K and rattles at startup like a crank or rod bearing, needs tires. My first thought was to buy it back and swap the engines and tires/wheels. The Maxima had an almost new $800 set of tires. Both cars have the VQ35DE but my quick research here indicates that an engine swap may not be possible, given the age difference and manual vs auto tranny.

Other than that I could try my hand at fixing it, I work with computers/electronic controls (not auto though) regularly.
I am guessing that the ECM is fried and not sure what all else, or what all is involved in troubleshooting the problems even.

Please chime in if you can share any info on lightning strike repair or the engine swap question.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Other than that I could try my hand at fixing it, I work with computers/electronic controls (not auto though) regularly.
I am guessing that the ECM is fried and not sure what all else, or what all is involved in troubleshooting the problems even.

Please chime in if you can share any info on lightning strike repair or the engine swap question.
Thanks in advance.
with no apparent physical damage, they totaled the car. What does that tell you? There's no way to know the extent of the damage electrically and would be very high risk in trying to fix. And electrical and computer incompatibility notwithstanding, trying to fit a 2016 maxima V6 [drivetrain] into an 2002 altima you'd probably have a better chance of lucking out trying to fix the maxima. Your best bet if so inclined would be to buy back the 2016 maxima and try to part it out and make some money, but that is easier said than done and in my opinion in this day & age foolish unless you are in the used car business somehow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts