Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just picked a 2012 Altima up from the auction and it does not start when pressing button dash lights up all that but does not crank. I was told ecm is possibly faulty. When I removed knee panel there is no steering lock control solenoid where it is suppose to be or I can't even find the plug for it? Was there some sort of delete for these or did someone take it off? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,512 Posts
So much for an auction purchase. Is it salvage titled? If it is, you may be looking at more problems down the road. The VEHICLE IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM may be active preventing you from starting it. Did you get a good key FOB with the car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No clean title clean car fax one owner no accidents or anything. Super clean car. Yes I got a good key fob

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,512 Posts
Hello. I just picked a 2012 Altima up from the auction and it does not start when pressing button dash lights up all that but does not crank. I was told ecm is possibly faulty. When I removed knee panel there is no steering lock control solenoid where it is suppose to be or I can't even find the plug for it? Was there some sort of delete for these or did someone take it off? Thanks in advance for the help!
What you're referring to is the "Electronic steering column lock" unit; it's located at the base of the steering assembly up under the dash. Here's a very short synopsis of what happens during engine start:

1. The BCM receives the Intelligent Key ID signal and verifies it with the registered ID.
2. BCM transmits the steering lock unlock signal to electronic steering column lock and IPDM E/R if the verification results are OK.
3. IPDM E/R turns the steering lock relay ON and supplies power to the electronic steering column lock.
4. Release of the steering lock.
5. IPDM E/R turns the starter control relay ON when receiving the starter request signal. This provides power to the starter solenoid.

Now based on the above, if the Electronic steering column lock unit is not there, the IPDM will never receive verification from it, so the engine will never start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts