Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Nissan Quest with 145000 miles. We recently replaced the alternator after it died and limped off to the side of the road. This is a dangerous issue because it happens at intersections and it causes the van to just creep. It happened to me twice and to my wife once. I didn't think much of the first alternator failure other than it cost me $800 because it is in a terrible spot. A local shop put it in because the closest Nissan dealership is 50 miles away. The first replacement lasted two days and then died, I assumed it was a bad part( it happens). Now I just got it back and drove 10 miles and this second alternator failed. Has anyone else seen this before?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The alternator shouldn't make the vehicle go limp unless your battery is bad. If the battery is charged you should be able to drive for miles before it craps out, even with the headlights on. I think you're suffering from a misdiagnosis.
Thank you, I assume you are right. I did change the battery the first time I changed the alternator because it was older. I was hoping that someone here would have a similar experience and could tell me their solution. 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, mechanic said there were no codes in the system, and the alternator is bad again. He is going to call a local Nissan dealership for help and maybe put an OEM alternator on. I will keep everyone updated. Thank you

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New Update: so far so good. We put a Nissan alternator and new leads from the battery terminals (both pos & neg) also a new harness to the alternator, and no more problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts