Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Nissan Pathfinder provides heat only sporadically. I have the temp set to 90 degrees and only occasionally get warm to extra warm air. Usually gets hot air when fast acceleration from dead stop. Could it be low coolant? I did check and was just about at the minimum line on the reservoir. Pulled radiator cap and coolant did not cover the top of the vanes. Any thoughts? Anyone? Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks. Will soon find out. I topped off the radiator. Wondering if mechanic burped the system after replacing fluid. I live in Phoenix and have zero overheating problems with it over summer. I’ll post here if I discover something!

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,431 Posts
It's fairly common that air gets trapped in the heater core on these vehicles. Top off the coolant in the radiator and coolant reservoir. Check the radiator and coolant reservoir caps; the cap WITH the spring on it goes on the coolant reservoir and the cap with no spring on it goes on the radiator. Raise the front of the vehicle as high as safely possible; you can drive the front wheels up on ramps, jack up the front end and put jack stands under the vehicle or you could park on a steep incline or hill with the nose of the vehicle parked uphill. Start the engine and set the front heater (and rear heater, as applies) in the hottest temperature setting(s). Run the engine at 2000-3000 RPM for at least 10-minutes or longer, as necessary, until hot air is coming out of the heater vent (approx. 140 degrees F.). When done, lower the vehicle and turn off. When the engine is cold, double-check the coolant level and top off as necessary. Note: if you notice the coolant gauge needle is near the cold side of the heat range when the vehicle should be at normal operating temperature, it may have a thermostat that is partially stuck open and needs to be replaced. If there are still heating issues, check the air mix mode door operation and check the heater pump, which is a small, electric pump that sits, inline, of the heater hose and helps push coolant through the core; it's mounted on a bracket that is bolted on the firewall and is not far from the brake booster.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All! Seems burping the system and ripping off fixed the issue! Working great! Ultane you can bet I will keep an eye on that coolant. I would be more suspicious if I hadn’t had a repair to the cooling system last year and I strongly suspect time was not taken to burp. Thanks all!!! Very helpful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts