Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. Roughly 18 months ago the slip control light would come on at the same time as the service engine soon light. The code that showed up wad DTC P0101 -mass airflow sensor.

When this happens, the car simply won't accelerate without hesitating, lurching or nearly stalling. When this first happened I took the car to a mechanic and he said he couldn't get the problem to replicate but he cleaned the MAF and the problem seemed to be fixed.

5 months later it happened again, but this time we replaced the MAF, but the problem intermittently persisted sometimes for a day, sometimes for a week. But every time I'd take it in to a shop, I'd be told they couldn't replicate the issue, and I'd leave the shop and 10 miles down the road, it would happen again. This went on for months.

I took it to a Nissan dealer and they reprogrammed the computer with a software update and this seemed to finally fix the issue for good.

Then today, after 8 months of no issue, the slip indicator light came on, and the car reverted to the sluggish, jerking, unable to accelerate mode. Once again, the engine code is a DTC: P0101 ... the same code Ive gotten every time. I got the parts store to exchange the MAF I had bought and I installed the new MAF this afternoon, but the problem persists.

I've taken this car to 3 different ASE certified mechanics including a Nissan dealership, and no one can tell me for sure what the ultimate problem is.

A quick Google search shows many many people posting the EXACT same issue with their NISSAN, but i have yet to see any of those forum posts get a definite answer as to how to solve the problem.

I dont have the money to take this back to a dealer and let them try different fixes until the problem is finally solved. Has anyone out there experienced this and actualy gotten a permanent solution? I'd live to be able to go to the Nissan service center armed with that information

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,780 Posts
The ECM was likely updated per Nissan technical service bulletin # NTB12-051d, which included many 2011-2012 Nissan models. The bulletin was for the included vehicles that experienced a P0101 DTC with NO drivability concerns, which is obviously not your situation (although it's still good to have the latest software program). As far as the SLIP warning light, that is a by-product of the mass air sensor issue; when the ECM detects an engine management issue, it disables the traction control system, which illuminates the warning lights for said system.
I have heard of one person fixing this issue by unbolting the throttle body (leave the coolant lines installed) and cleaning it with throttle body cleaner, reinstalling it and erasing the code. You may or may not have to perform an idle air volume relearn afterwards. Otherwise, I would suspect a circuit issue (broken or shorted wire in the mass air sensor circuit or, possibly, a bad throttle body. The thing to do would be to download a factory service manual (or at least the engine control chapter) for your vehicle and perform the diagnostics for code P0101, which would include the circuit checks. You would think that one of the technicians would have done this previously, but often I find some auto techs or mechanics just don't want to do the work that goes beyond simply replacing the usual suspect parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue did you find a solution? I have tried the same thing u posted already i have also read something about the wheel speed sensor however i dont have money to be fixing something that might not be the issue so any information would help i would appreciate it thank you

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,780 Posts
OP hasn't posted since Feb 2018, so I don't think you'll hear back from him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi everyone, I'm having the exact same issue with my 13 Nissan Altima.. i clean out the MAF every time for a TEMPORARY fix.. i did some major research and it looks like its the tumble control valve stuck open.. the guy that had the same problem ended up replacing the manifold. I get the same codes i already changed the MAF and still gives me the same problem with the same light.. I'm posting this incase someone is looking for possible answers.. I'll post an update once i get mine "fixed".. also, I'm getting a code which indicates faulty speed pully and pressure control solenoid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts