Nissan Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
ok heres the price breakdown. I can get a 200sx for 1 grand. i can get a 200sx se-r for 4500. if a regular 200sx would fit a bluebird but be a little bit more hassle but still cheaper, y not do that. damn im confused. is the 200sx drivetrain different?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, everything in the drivetrain is different. Mounts, engine, tranny, ECU, all of it. The SE-R isn't just another variation of a base model Sentra, it's entirely different aside from sharing the same body and chassis. The suspension, engine, tranny, ECU, mounts, bushings, shifter, seats, wheels, tires and dash are all different from every other version of Sentra or 200SX.

Putting an SR20DE or an SR20DET in a regular, non-SE-R 200SX or Sentra is a huge PITA. You have to swap EVERYTHING out. You would be better off starting with an SE-R and going from there.

· All over your face!
7,106 Posts
NismoPC said:
There is no such thing as a BBDET FWD tranny.
Beg to differ. I had one straight off the front clip of a BB. If there was no such thing, i wouldn't have a tranny considering it was replacing a 1.6L powerplant, etc.

http://www.conopium.com/misc/*****.jpg

· Registered
450 Posts
Hey OPIUM3

Where'd you get that from? You actually had the entire front clip or did somone dismantle it from the clip, add a FWD tranny and send it to you?

The only reason I ask is there has been no information on any Nissan website from overseas or any other website that shows a BBDET FWD. All of them have been AWD (manual or auto).

What year BB did it come from? This would put a spin on the BBDET facts that I have been gathering. Hmm?

Thanks!

· Registered
450 Posts
Well, I did as much searching as I could on overseas sites that sell used cars, show specs on cars, etc. and found nothing to back up your claim that you received a FWD BlueBird SR20DET clip.

The SR20DET is/was always matched up to a AWD tranny or a rear wheel drive tranny. Neither of those trannies are swappable in a FWD Nissan/Infiniti.

I then came upon this awesome matrix provided by www.freshalloy.com

NOTE: There is not one single Nissan model that came as a FWD SR20DET.

http://www.freshalloy.com/cars/nissan/super_matrix.html

So, now I am really wondering how you got a front clip off of a FWD Bluebird with a DET unless it was a FWD swap done overseas before you purchased it.

Anyone else have any links that show a completely stock FWD Bluebird SR20DET. I would love to see them!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
im not much on this stuff but i heard that it is prossible to make the bb det a fwd car. you have to adjust something in the engine and tranny. Im probably wrong about it being able to convert to fwd but it doesnt hurt to ask.

· Registered
450 Posts
pwhitersx-s said:
im not much on this stuff but i heard that it is prossible to make the bb det a fwd car.
Yes. Besides the procedure for the actual engine swap, you do use your stock SR20DE tranny, flywheel, clutch assembly, etc. and it bolts right onto the BBDET.

That's what makes it such a simple swap for US-spec SR20DE powered vehicles.

My claim is that there was not a stock FWD SR20DET powered car ever produced. Not a Bluebird and not a Avenir, and most definitely not a Pulsar GTi-R. All of them came as a AWD.

· All over your face!
7,106 Posts
NismoPC said:
Hey OPIUM3
Where'd you get that from? You actually had the entire front clip or did somone dismantle it from the clip, add a FWD tranny and send it to you?
I don't know what to tell you guys. A little background on my car: I bought this car off my friend with the swap in it. However I was involved in the process. Basically a place called Import PowerHouse here in AZ did the swap for my friend (never go there, they'll steal your ride). It was the first DET swap they had ever done. Especially since the swap quality is crap. You can tell if you see it in person. Anyways, I guess I could be wrong, But the clip was sitting right there in front of me. Since I didn't perform the swap myself, they could have done anything. The car is an XE model. Later on, about a year later after the swap was done, I bought the car. About one month after I bought the car the tranny was blown due to the harshness of the ACT 6 puc clutch. It was then replaced with an NX tranny. We compared the two. There were definently things different between the usdm and the jdm tranny's. The speed sensor that was left in it was very weird looking. I tried to research it through the local dealerships with the numbers that were stamped on it. They could give me no answers. (I still don't have a speedometer) They didn't know what the hell it came from, even if it was jdm. Also the bolt pattern on the tranny was slightly different than the usdm one. All i know is that it was definently different than any usdm stuff around here. So NO, I can't testify that it DID come from a BlueBird. But where the hell did something like that come from?

· :::User Illusion:::
139 Posts
MANNN!!! IS this the newbie thread of the year or what?!?!

pwhitersx-s said:
man i wish i knew this stuff!
What's so hard?!? I Don't mean to be a dick, but on these forums there are things known as search buttons and can be located on the front page. Now, you click them and type in what you would like to know. It will then search and see what it has to offer you in the form of information. Simple as that.

Now I don't expect this forum to have as much information about sr20's as the sr20de forum, mainly because this one just started out (and that most of the hardcore guys stick to one forum), but the search feature here should bring your results of a gereal over view.

And you may say, "the search on these forums doesn't give me the information I want. Now what do I do?" Well there is also search sites like www.yahoo.com or www.altavista.com that will carry many web-pages/site pertaining to sr20 engines along with engine swaps and performance upgrades.

So, stop still on your hands and asses and do some research, because everything you'll ever need to know is right infront of your face. You just have to look for it.

-Mario (who's sick of people complaining without a cause):mad:

139 Posts
There is no such thing as a FWD sr20det engine from the factory. All det's are either in AWD or RWD application. As a matter of fact I belive Nissan only made two FWD turbo engines and they came from the twin-charged Nissan MARCH (super and turbo charged) and the Nissan Cherry. If i'm wrong someone please correct me.

OPIUM3 said:
All i know is that it was definently different than any usdm stuff around here. So NO, I can't testify that it DID come from a BlueBird. But where the hell did something like that come from?
That tranni your talking about probably came off of a Sunny Pulsar GTi or a primera. They are all FWD tranni's with no significant differences other than some of them come with VLSD, some don't.

· All over your face!
7,106 Posts
Well the thing that kills me is that this shop wasn't exactly the most resourcefull place on earth. I don't think they would plan ahead and have another tranny shipped with it. I don't know... its a mystery to me really. But yeah, it most likely is Primera or whatever the hell... All i know is the gears in it are pretty much identical to the usdm NX it was replaced with. Lesson learned though. DOn't supply your tranny with a 6 puc clutch if its daily driven. There are plenty of mysteries assoctiated with the swap. Like what the hell does my JWT ecu do exactly? What did my nissan oem intercooler come off of? Doesn't look like BB. Well thats why i joined this forum...To solve these horrible mysteries! (apart from helping others)

139 Posts
sentragtr20 said:
The sr20 doesnt have a good tranny.. It is only good for 300hp. Then it tends to break the second and third gears.. Cryogentics and shotpennig helps....
I have a friend who drives his se-r mainly on the street with the occaional race here and there, dynoed @ 377hp's to the wheel and is still on the tranni he started out with. And I have an unlce who races his se-r hard at least 2 trips to the track per month dynoed at 288hp's and even after the cryo and shotpenning is on his 3rd rebuild. Both swaps done December 1999.

The transmission can hold well over 300hp's in stock form. That is not the problem. The problem goes with hard shifting/ power shifting/ speed shifting or what ever you want to call it. That will put alot of stress on the box and eventally wears out gears on any transmission. And being that most of the sr20 tranni's are going on 10+ years, they will tend to break.

-Mario

139 Posts
OPIUM3 said:
Lesson learned though. DOn't supply your tranny with a 6 puc clutch if its daily driven. )
It's most likely an aftermarket pressure plate that will cause sr20 the transmission to break. It litteral breaks the box appart and is what's mainly responsible for broken gears or parts shooting out of the block.

Im guess you had a ACT unit?

· Registered
450 Posts
Sr20 B12 said:
As a matter of fact I belive Nissan only made two FWD turbo engines and they came from the twin-charged Nissan MARCH (super and turbo charged) and the Nissan Cherry. If i'm wrong someone please correct me.
There was a mid 80's turbo Pulsar NX. I believe it was a E15ET.

· Registered
8 Posts
pwhitersx-s said:
so putting the sr20det into a 1.6l 200sx would be kinda hard and a lot of money? so pretty much the 200sx se-r is the way to go. my problem I want a 96 yr cuz they look better but they are still around 5k for the damn car! damn high 13's would be nice.
Not Totally True You Can Pick One Up, for aroud $3500, if you look in the right places. I just got one in Sac, CA for $3000. and it has Tein basic dampers, rear strut bar Intake and Exuast. Just look around.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.