Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well there's this kid, not really a friend but who has this pretty nice MX-6 with just a muffler for mods...me on the other hand in my 1.6 have no mods but a cone air filter and magnaflow muffler like him...just wondering how badly he would hand my ass to me? i've heard that those MX-6s are heavy but still he's got a v6...both 5 speeds..

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
From what I can find, mx6's run high 15's, you should be running atleast in the 17's if not higher. He should slaughter you

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
green se-r said:
look at the 200sx vs. probe thread, they are basically the same car
yes but no

·
Registered
321 Posts
What do you mean yes but no?

They have the same engine, same tranny (MX-6's have 4.11 gears vs 4.39's on Probes, but smaller tires which evens things out for the most part), and weigh within 100lbs of each other (MX-6's are a little lighter). In other words...yes......not no.

·
Banned
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my bad, apparantly he's got a '97 mx6 with just a 4 cylinder, 2L..i looked it up and it says 114 hp? that sound right? think the 1.6 200 stands a chance against a 4 banger mx6?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Now THAT should be a good match.

Yes they make 114hp (early ones made 110hp), and run around 16.9 or so with a 5 speed and a good driver.....

I assume you have a 5 speed?

·
Banned
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup, mines a stick. how do they run 16.9s while the 1.6 200 runs what mid 17s? The MX6's must be light?

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
If he can drive right, that F2 SOHC 12 valve motor wil beat you. The V6's are the KL-03 rated at 160-170BHP. That will easily walk you, my buddy has one. He ran a 89 IROC Z with a 305 TPI and walked him. I was smoked by a MX-6 ('95) with the F2 while in my '92 Eclipse. Beware, the Mazda F2 motor takes really good to bolt ons. The turbo version produces 145BHP but 190 lbft of tire smoking torque. Just a few info tidbit. I like Mazdas, zoom zoom.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Actually, after 1992, the 2.2L SOHC 12 valve wasn't the base engine anymore. They dumped the old 2.2L for a new and supposedly "better" DOHC 16 valve 2.0L. The new engines are no stronger, making 110-114hp..........like i said...high 16 second cars.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
No, they still used the F2 motor, but I have seen a few with the BP motor which is found in the Protoge. How much heavier are the 2nd gen MX-6 from the first. Why I say they still used the F2 motor is because my buddies 96 Probe blew it's motor and he replaced it. He originally wanted me to do it, so I say the motor. I would much rather have the F2. Occasionally, someone who knows what they are doing will have the FE3T bloted into a MX-6/Probe/626. Not a motor to be messed with, on the same level of the 4G63T and SR20DET.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I KNOW for a fact that the first gen MX6/Probes had a 2.2L SOHC 12 valve, but the 2nd gens had a 2.0L DOHC 16 valve.

Go look it up if you want.

It may still be the same architecture in the block (but different bore X stroke), but a WAY different head.

Trust me...it's DOHC.

Don't believe me, ask these guys: http://www.probetalk.com/forums/

Oh...and I was slightly wrong earlier. It was 114hp (not 110) for 93-94 and then 118hp (not 114) for 95-97.

The 110hp motor was the one we are arguing about now...oops :D

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Hello, McFly??!! I'm telling you, the MX-6 and Probe 2nd gen use the F2 SOHC 12 valve. I was looking straight at a valve cover that said "12 Valve" and was definately not DOHC. Maybe a few rare models use a DOHC motor, but the only DOHC motor I have seen in them is the KL-O3 2.5L V6. Just for your insistance, i'll go aheah and search, but his was definately the F2.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
From what it seems, the 2nd gen Probe uses a 2.0L DOHC, but the 2nd gen MX-6 uses the F2.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nope...sorry bud......the 2.0L DOHC was in BOTH the MX-6 AND the Probe base cars.

I'm telling you, that the 2.2 was dropped after 92.

http://www.rpmrons.com/Mazdaengines.html

Go about halfway down on this page and check out what engine was available for 93-00 MX-6's (the FS)............notice the F2 SOHC STOPPED after 92.

I hate to go tit for tat like this, but you are incorrect in this instance.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Then why the hell is my buddy's '95 Probe using the 2.2L SOHC?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts