Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Wins Don't Come Easy
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a pretty much stock car. I mean i got a greddy exhaust, but other than the k&n filter which doesnt really do much it is. But i have raced my friends stock alero. And he obviously whoops my ass, (which sucks in and of itself) but thats life. But he just goes on about how domestics are better than imports. I mean my car only has like 120 hp, and he's got about 170hp. So it is obvious that he whoops my ass, but that doesnt keep me from trying. But i will be modding out my car so maybe i could keep up with him.:D I still insist that imports (mainly nissans) are better than domestics!:cool:

·
Registered
321 Posts
If he has the 3400 V6 in his Alero (as you indicated by stating it has 170hp), you will need either a nitrous hit or forced induction to be able to beat him.

3400 V6 Aleros are quite capable of running 15.6 bone stock which is all that you can get out of a GA16De with ALL of the bolt-ons done to it. I'm talking intake/header/exhaust/cat/throttlebody/extrude honing/cams/ECU/pulley/clutch/flywheel.....etc.

Sorry bud, but you either need a turbo, or he needs to buy a slower car.

And have you ever driven an Alero? They are actually VERY nice cars for GM, and are better than many imports overall.

·
Wins Don't Come Easy
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, well dont get me wrong. I have driven his car, and been in his car while he has raced others. I know what it is capable of. It is kindof a dream of mine (if u will) to beat him. I am sure it wont happen, but everybody dreams. The only thing i disagree with is that alero's are better than any import overall.

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
They would be a good match for an SE-R. My friend has a 99 Grand Am that ive raced a few times. And they (GA and Alero) are very similar cars. But I havent lost to him yet....:D

·
Wins Don't Come Easy
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well

Yeah One time My friend raced this tricked out accord in his alero. It was cool cause the accord was going in and out of the turning lane to race. Obviously my friend smoked him. But that was a no brainer.:cool:

·
Wins Don't Come Easy
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oops

i just figured out that the tricked out car was an integra. even better.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You should find some one with an SER to race him cause i think its got a good chance of beating him and that will shut him up. Plus let him know how big his engine is compared to a 2.0 SER 3.4 V6 and its only got 170 HP thats pathetic. a 2.0 SR20 has 150 HP stock well over here in the UK they do. now add an extra 2.5 litres and another cylinder.

·
Registered
321 Posts
OK....um, 2.5 litres and an extra cylinder? Your math isn't adding up :D

Also, let me point out that the 3400 V6 in an Alero has 200lb/ft of torque in a BROAD curve from right of idle all the way up (VERY well suited to auto trannies), and is a VERY cheap engine to produce. Sure they aren't power kings, or very refined, but they ARE a good mass market engine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i ran my GA against a friends 2001 4cyl stick alero... pretty much even till about 55mph.... motown traffic kept us from experimenting longer... ive been shitted on by a 6cyl ram air grand am tho.... from a dead stop, anyways...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sounds about right for the 5 speed 2.4L Alero. They are mid to low 16 second cars........sounds like you had a good enough power to weight ratio to hold him out of the hole, but his strong midrange and stronger top end should start getting you past the top of 2nd gear. I'd say he should end up with 3-5 cars on you by the end of the 1/4 (top of 3rd) if he's a good driver.

A V6 Auto Alero is probably 5 cars quicker yet....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ok got it wrong only 1.4 and an extra cylinder but thats still pretty dam shit when you look at the spec-v with a 4 cylinder 2.5 with 175 HP so dont tell me that a 3.4 with 170 HP is good cause it sucks ass. basically its a heavy ass car and the HP doesnt make up for it. The torque might be good but that aint gona win you a race its just gona jump you off the line quicker. Id take any alero any day.

·
Wins Don't Come Easy
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry but i dont think that an SER would beat his alero. But if u think u know what ur talking about SR20d-gti ill leave it at that. I think bigbuls knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well i just see it being closer then 5 cars if it would beat me. I have a Uk spec SR20 with 150HP. Sorry for the argument i guess ill never know untill i race one and i doubt i ever will over here. I do have friend with a 2.4 tho. Never thought of racing him.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i have had 138 out of it but thats on my clock and it could be off. i doubt it tho cause i have 17s on which would mean im going faster then that. ive been told that to get 140+ out of it is very hard but it is UK spec it runs on a dif ecu. its also a hatch back which is liggter then the 200SX i think

·
Registered
22 Posts
My sisters boyfriend has an Alero, and compared to a stock 200sx se-r, it is pretty close. I honestly couldnt tell you who would win, because I havent raced him, but if the se-r were an auto it would get beat. It would be a drivers race I guess, but how hard is it to drive an automatic alero? lol

·
Wins Don't Come Easy
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, thats true, it is partly driver when it comes to that. Except the one that is driving the alero, cause that is all automatic.

·
Registered
321 Posts
An SE-R (or Almera GTi for that matter), would be a VERY close match against a stock 3400 V6 Alero. Untill the Alero hit's it's 106mph governor that is :D

Seriously though, I've messed with (and driven) a friends Grand Am SE (same engine/tranny/body), and he was running 15.6's and 15'7's all day at the strip with absolutely NO mods. Also, a Grand Am GT is even a little faster (shorter axle ratio), and I have heard of 15.4's bone stock from those. They also don't hit their governor until 126-128mph, which is more than fast enough to outrun a stock B13 SE-R, AND give the more aerodynamic SR20DE cars (like the Almera or NX2000) a run for their money....and that's with a governor!

You may laugh at 170hp out of a V6, but it's still enough to walk a stock SR20DE in most cases (or at least match one).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thats funny cause my friend in his 2.4 said he hit govener at 106. that must suck but there aint no need to go any faster well there is if your racing someone. I can understand it matching an sr20 fine but it wouldn walk it, it would be a close race. someone race one and get back to this cool to see who wins prob the alero with my luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts