Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
I have a 98 Sentra SE, GC, VE, pretty well built. A friend has a S13 (Silvia conversion) with DET and lowering springs and other basic mods. The first week he drove his car after the swap we meet up just to fool around. We switched cars and he drove mine and I drove his for about 15 minutes. My car feels light and nimble his feels heavy (mine has better suspension mods) Mine pulls as hard if not harder then his and I am NA. Its all in the execution. He has about 12K in his car. The 1.6 cars don't come close to a S13-14. Not even close (laughable really). A well built FWD car can be a pretty impressive car. In the end I would still start with a RWD car IF I didn't need the utility of my 4 door. Oh, hey its a 4 door. You should have seen the look on his face the first time he drove my car. He was shocked how nice it was compared to his and pretty much said everything I said about our cars. I love 240's and either that or a miata is going to be my next project car.

· Registered
324 Posts
spdracerUT said:
I'm making around 50 more whp, weigh 300 lbs less, and still got my ass kicked. Granted, it was my first time at the track, but at best I'd only be able to pull even. And I have probably one of the best sorted out daily driven se-r's out there. His car is better balanced and you can fit bigger tires. You just can't put down as much power in a FWD car.

Well, those are my observations!

Khiem
Turbo's and FWD are a particularly bad choice for a track car. I doubt he would have the same effect to my 185whp NA car with a Quaife. ITR's can beat lots of RWD cars on a roadcourse. I have a event at Virginia Int. Raceway in 2 weeks. I will know better then (the S13 friend is coming as well). I am still not saying that a b14 is a better choice then a s13 but I am saying that done right they can have very good potential. S13 has a great deal more potential. I have never understood the fasination with a FWD turbo car.

· Registered
324 Posts
spdracerUT said:
Hmm... well, I think that depends on the setup. I stuck with a t25 because I wanted my power to come on smoothly, which is does. It basically just feels like I have a lot more displacement. I have full stock boost(7-8psi) at ~2500k and the power goes up linearly from there; there's no big jump in HP, there's just more of it. If I had a big, laggy turbo, I'd agree that it would be a bad choice for a track car.

Whether you have a turbo or not, there's a physical limit to how much power you can put down. My stock VLSD was working well enough where I'd spin the outside wheel if I overpowered it exiting a corner. I was cornering and accelerating as fast as the available traction would allow me. Ah yes, the limit of 205 wide tires :(

Steve, I think we should trade cars sometime :) It'd be fun! Oh, I thought about a VE, but at the time, it was much cheaper to just go turbo and my motor was still relatively fresh.
I am curious to see how much wheelspin I get with the VE and Quaife. I will probably try the street tires to start with a then switch over to my R tires. Just curious to see if my experiance is the same as yours. Just another question. Do you have a aftermarket front swaybar or is it stock? I am sure on the street your turbo would be faster. I am not so sure on the track. Interesting comparision though isn't it. If you were not so far away we could trade rides.

· Registered
324 Posts
thenissangod said:
if you honestly want to know what car to get, you might want to tell us a little more about what you want, need, and know. i just hope you don't base your buying decision on all this incomplete (and a lot of it) incorrect information. there are an array of different 200's!!! so don't think they are all your fwd 1.6 or 2 liter option. anyway have fun with whatever you decide. to most of you who replied and failed miserably to give this guy any COMPLETE information, you suck! later keep cool
Like you were so helpfull. :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.