Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
What generation 240 are you compairing it with? S13 or S14?

200SX SE-R (140hp)

Positives > Very good around town car. It has plenty of room and can actually seat 4 people fairly comfortably. Has a nicer engine stock than the 240SX does. You can turbo the stock motor to nice power levels without much work or you can drop in a VE or DET motor. Some great suspensions are now offered for the car, so you'll have plenty of choices. It's FWD which is better in areas that have a lot of snow or rain. It has a Clark Kent/Super Man identity. It's mild mannered on the outside but can be turned into an amazing performance car. Strong US community.

Negatives > It's FWD which means it has some limitations on ultimate performance. FWD is not as much fun if you're experienced driving a RWD car (it is safer however). The 200SX is a compact car and isn't as sporty as the 240sx. It was never designed to be a performance car and thus, must be modified more than a 240 to make up for it.

240SX (155hp in '91+ motors)

Positives > Cheap if you buy an S13. You can find nice examples usually around 3k. Almost unlimited performance potential... certainly more than a 200SX but only a very small percentage of it's owners will ever got that far. Because it's RWD it can be more fun to drive. Much better drift car than a 200SX because it's RWD and as we know, is one of the best drift car in Japan. Can be equally amazing in track and 1320 events. Better looking car with a lot of aftermarket body upgrades (including OEM JDM Nissan parts). Plenty of turbo engine swap options... SR, CA, and RB series engines. More JDM aftermarket parts made for the car. Shares many of the suspension components used in Nissan's top of the line sports car (the 300ZX). 300ZX brakes are a fairly easy upgrade. 300ZX/Skyline GTR aftermarket brakes and wheels can be used if desired. One word... Silvia. :D

Negatives > Stock engine is the same engine Nissan used in it's trucks with some slight modifications (155hp). S13 is an older car than a 200SX so expect to fix more items more often. S14 would be the same age ('95 to '98) but costs more than the same year 200SX... something to think about if you don't have the tools or knowledge to do all your own work maintaining these cars. 240 community is smaller in the US than the SE-R community. A lot of 240's I see have DET's in them now so some of the uniqueness of a built 240 is wearing off. 240's have unfortunatly become very popular recently with the SSC build up. This is driving prices up slightly on everything related to 240s. DET's are much cheaper FWD than they are RWD. No really good NA options (unlike the 200SX which can use the VE motor). A little bit harder to work on, and not quite as reliable as an SE-R. Still though, it's a great car.

I own 2 SE-R's (Classic and 200SX) and will never sell them. My wife and I are however selling our Si so that in a year we can buy an S13 240.

· Registered
140 Posts
No offense taken.

Actually I really like the KA motor. Other than the original KA24E motor, I think the newer KA24DE motor is perfectly fine. Not as smooth as the SR series but not "truck like" to me. Having said that, it seems every time this comes up I'm the lone voice in support of the KA. Most recently on SR20DEForums. That's why I made the comment about being a "truck motor." It seems the general concensus, even from many of it's owners, is that it's not as accceptable an engine to them as you and I think it is.

http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26513

akk51 > A good website and really the home of the 240SX community (IMHO) is www.zilvia.net . If you didn't already know about the site, I'm sure you'll find plenty of good information about the 240sx there.

· Registered
140 Posts
Generally the decision is to go with the SR motor... however, KA's have been boosted with very good success. For my money, I'd go with the SR... but I just love the motor, so I'm biased. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.