Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I posted a thread a while ago talking about this 98 200sx I'm thinking of buying. It's an SE. Everyone is telling me to try to find an SE-R but my question is what are the differences between the two? And also.... I'm buying the car to be 90% daily transportation and 10% slightly modified light street racer (when a race with a worthy opponet arises..... not going to be dogging this car) so with that in mind, will the SE serve me well and hold to the pressure of the racing and still be a dependable car? Btw... it's a 5spd.

Thanks!

M

·
0 Posts
I own a 97 200SX SE-R. Ive driven both and i dont think the SE will be a worthy streetracer in anyway. The GA16DE (SE) motor isnt as capable as the SR20DE (SE-R) in the stock or lightly modified form. The SR20DE (SE-R) is 150hp and the GA16DE (SE) is like 116 (i think....though i might be wrong). The extra horses come in handy when needed.....trust me!!! spend a lil more a get a SE-R........also the SE-R from 95- early 97 have Limited slip differentials.....which is also better then 98s SE-Rs....they dont got it......and the SEs never had it.......so in my opinion.....buy the SE-R if you wanna streetrace at all...even 10% of the time.

M

·
0 Posts
BTW both SEs and SE-Rs are very dependable.......all years and models......but the SE-Rs are a lil quicker!!! hehe

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
no ones doggin the GA16DE .. i dont see it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
LaRon, go with the SE-R, many companies provide more products for the SE-R because its a more powerful ride. I have the SE, i love this car but a part of me wishes i had the SE-R because when i search for products the majority is listed only for the SE-R. dont get me wrong...there are plenty of SE products but SE-R has a little more and like they said the 20 extra horse difference is an added plus.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The GA16DE is a very solid and reliable engine. But from a starting point, it is low on HP and torque compared to the SR20DE. Stock for stock, the SR20DE is quite a performer compared to the GA. Light modified, it will destroy a lightly modified GA.

Oh, and the SR20DE is rated at 140hp / 132ftlbs not 150hp. At the wheels it might generate in stock form, around 123hp to 128hp.

You will pay a little more for the SR20DE, but the mod parts are similiar in price for both engines, so you will always be ahead with the SR20DE. Dollar for dollar, I would suggest the SR20DE for a 90% daily/10% modded car.

·
Registered
413 Posts
myoung said:
>The SR20DE (SE-R) is 150hp

a heavily modified SE-R with header, intake, pullies, ECU, and exhaust will put down approximately 135 to 145 whp, ..... no where near 150 in stock form...
There are a few guys on the SR20DEforum putting close to a dynoed 150hp (range is 145 to 149hp) with only intake, exhaust, Pacesetter header or HotShot header, advanced timing and swapping a '91 intake cam on the '94-'99 engine. No ECU upgrade or pullies. This is a combination of US spec and JDM spec engines.

Now that is quite impressive.

·
Registered
702 Posts
everyone that has a GA here loves them i know i do...real durable engines without a doubt but i know a tiny part of us wishes they found that SR20DE...whos doesnt want more power? its obvious

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
NismoPC said:

There are a few guys on the SR20DEforum putting close to a dynoed 150hp (range is 145 to 149hp) with only intake, exhaust, Pacesetter header or HotShot header, advanced timing and swapping a '91 intake cam on the '94-'99 engine. No ECU upgrade or pullies. This is a combination of US spec and JDM spec engines.

Now that is quite impressive.

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/dyno/others.html

M

·
0 Posts
i just sorta stumbled on my at the local nissan dealer......just out checking out cars....test drove it and it fit...btw im not saying theres anything wrong with the 1.6.......its a good motor......but the sr20de is alot better and as of right now....way more options for upgrading

·
0 Posts
myoung said:
Mike, I don't know when those were done but they seem outdated. It's pretty common for a full bolt-on SE-R to put 150 to the wheels. Ray Kawski pre-turbo put down 149.9 or something like that. A few months after that, we did our northeast dyno day and it said 136 or something... so we (obviously) needed a correction factor. With that same factor, I put down 148 to the wheels and Jeremy Keppler (with the addition of pulleys) put down 156 I believe. We've got another dyno day in a few weeks and I'm going to fool with my timing as well as swap out my HS CAI for a PRI one. I'll post results once we're done. I'll try to keep track of everyone else (although it was difficult enough when that was all that I was doing... this time I'll be working on my car off to the side while others are going) I'll see if I can maybe get someone else to keep track for us

·
Registered
413 Posts
Teknokid said:
Doesnt SE mean Special Edition?? What the hell is so special about it??
Usually right before a trim or model change Nissan will come out with a SE model to clear some of the extra parts they ahve sitting on the shelves and in the bins.

Ever notice that Honda always comes out with a Special Edition Accord everytime the Accord goes through a model change?

Several manufacturers do it, but might call it something else.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts