Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 96 Nissan 200SX Se 1.6 liter (B14 chassis) that I am trying to change the alternator on. I know there are lots of posts on this, and yes I have read every one I can find and I am still a little confused. A part of it, is I can't seem to find any pictures.

Here is what I think I know:
In order to reduce tension on the pivot bolts, I think I need to adjust the idle pulley. And I believe I can do this by adjusting the tensioner bolt? My idle pulley has a big bolt in the middle, is this it or at some point do I need to adjust this? There is also a long something behind it and kind of perpendicular to it. It could be a bolt, but I can't find a way to adjust it. Looking at it from the passenger side of the engine, it's at about a 45 degree angle pointing down at the front of the car and up into the engine, back behind the idle pulley. There are no threads on the bottom part, and the top part is difficult to reach. Is this the tensioner bolt?

Third, a portion of the pivot bolt on the belt side is flush against metal. I can't get a socket on it. Is this normal? Will adjusting the idle pulley fix this?

This forum has been tremendously helpful in the past and even saved me money.

Anything you can contribute to this is much appreciated.

~Weston

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hey all,

I have a 96 Nissan 200SX Se 1.6 liter (B14 chassis) that I am trying to change the alternator on. I know there are lots of posts on this, and yes I have read every one I can find and I am still a little confused. A part of it, is I can't seem to find any pictures.

Here is what I think I know:
In order to reduce tension on the pivot bolts, I think I need to adjust the idle pulley. And I believe I can do this by adjusting the tensioner bolt? My idle pulley has a big bolt in the middle, is this it or at some point do I need to adjust this? There is also a long something behind it and kind of perpendicular to it. It could be a bolt, but I can't find a way to adjust it. Looking at it from the passenger side of the engine, it's at about a 45 degree angle pointing down at the front of the car and up into the engine, back behind the idle pulley. There are no threads on the bottom part, and the top part is difficult to reach. Is this the tensioner bolt?

Third, a portion of the pivot bolt on the belt side is flush against metal. I can't get a socket on it. Is this normal? Will adjusting the idle pulley fix this?

This forum has been tremendously helpful in the past and even saved me money.

Anything you can contribute to this is much appreciated.

~Weston

You shouldn't need to pull the idler pulley unless it's in your way. There is not adjusting. That nut simply will allow you to take off the pulley and washers. I haven't done it on this car, but it should be pretty easy. Usually two bolts. If you can't change an alternator, you shouldn't be doing this kind of work. No offense, but changes are, something could go wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally, . . .

I finally found a working link to a full service manual and from there I figured it out. The Haynes manual I've got doesn't show it. The tensioner is a long bolt that runs between the compressor and the alternator. And you adjust the actual end of the bolt, not a nut or something which is what I kept looking for earlier;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I finally found a working link to a full service manual and from there I figured it out. The Haynes manual I've got doesn't show it. The tensioner is a long bolt that runs between the compressor and the alternator. And you adjust the actual end of the bolt, not a nut or something which is what I kept looking for earlier;)
That is one bolt, then you have to losen the lock nut to actually get the belt off. Losen the idler pulley will make ease on the main belt as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts