Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my daughters 2009 2.5 Altima drive belt broke and caused a lot of damage..broke power steering seal and now it looks like the Crankshaft Seal was damaged as well maybe from overheating..anyway i saw there is specific instructions to use an expensive tool to lock the flywheel plate when removing the Crankshaft to get to the seal.....i have a powerful Impact wrench and compressor (IR gun and 30 gallon compressor)...do i still need to lock the plate even If i use an impact gun? Its an automatic trans. That damn tool is like 200 bucks...not happening. Im a tool guy but hell to the N....O on that little tool. Ill build something if i had too....seems its only needed for the 2009-2010 models (.....of course). But i thought an Impact gun would not require locking the plate?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,359 Posts
To remove the crankshaft front pulley, you can try using your impact wrench. The actual torque on the pulley bolt is around 100 to 112 ft-lbs, so if your impact wrench can handle that torque range, then the bolt should loosen without locking the rear drive plate. If that doesn't work, then there is a tool that is inserted into the pulley pilot holes that will hold the pulley from turning. You should be able to rent this tool. Here's a picture:

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,504 Posts
I've always just zapped them on and off with a 1/2" air gun. Another way you can do it is to get a piston at the beginning of its compression stroke and feed rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and then the rope will lock the engine up as you turn the crank clockwise. Or, some people use a small tie-down strap to wrap around the crank pulley and tie to the subframe to keep it from moving.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,359 Posts
NO, the crankshaft should not spin; if it does, use SMJ's rope trick. I've removed many crank bolts with an air wrench with no problem; did have a few stubborn one's, so I used the "rope trick".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts