Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2008 Pathfinder V8. I haven't even gone above 3000 rpm and already I can tell this thing goes like stink. Anyway, the manual recommends premium fuel but I'd like to use 87 octane. I am thinking it's probably not an issue (and others on here report no problems using it) and the US brochure says to use 87 octane so I figure it's ok. But, I am wondering how the PF ecu pulls timing if it senses knock? Does the ecu 'learn' like many vehicles on the market and continually try to advance timing? I am thinking it does if it says that maximum performance can be achieved on premium fuel, otherwise, timing is timing and there would be no difference between fuels. I would rather not have the vehicle continually try to advance timing only to see knock and pull timing. Whatever the case, I certainly plan to use premium fuel when towing due to the extra load that will be placed on the engine. Anyway, if anyone else has any thoughts/experience on this, I'd be happy to hear them. Cheers, JC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quick question sincve your online. How retarded am I for not getting the 4wd and moving to wyoming? lol I figure at worst I grab some snow chains and ill be alright? What do you think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick question sincve your online. How retarded am I for not getting the 4wd and moving to wyoming? lol I figure at worst I grab some snow chains and ill be alright? What do you think?
Well I live in Canada, 1 hour from the Rockies and we don't bother with chains around here. 4WD is usually good enough.

Congrats on the purchase. Mine is white with tan interior.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine is black on black its the base model. I didnt need anything fancy. Great warranty and couldnt beat the price at 21k :). I am just kicking myself in the butt because it is gonna make it harder at times. However the general grabber tires on it got good reviews for mild/moderate snow. If worse comes to worse I can always buy some cheapo aluminum rims and snow tires...make sense? im moving from TN where we get 3" of snow or less a year lol..so i dont know what to expect

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use 87 daily and 91 when towing. I have the V6, though. I know the V6 uses a knock sensor and adjusts timing and can only assume the V8 is the same.

I've driven the V8 and if you haven't even had it over 3,000rpm, you don't even realize what you have. The power really comes on over 3,000. Make sure there is no one if front of you the first time you really floor it because it GOES.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've driven the V8 and if you haven't even had it over 3,000rpm, you don't even realize what you have. The power really comes on over 3,000. Make sure there is no one if front of you the first time you really floor it because it GOES.
Cool! I just have to get through this dang break-in and then let the games begin!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts